What is acceptable to play.. that is not Chopin

Questions and discussion on technical, teaching and performance matters
Oberon Smith

What is acceptable to play.. that is not Chopin

Post by Oberon Smith »

Quick question concerning the Bach/Bauer status in todays Chopin only recital rules.. where does he/do they stand. It has been a few years since I had to perform, and I would like to open the program with a Bach/Bauer transcription. Does anyone know if they have totally fallen out of favor. Thank you Oberon Smith
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes

Re: What is acceptable to play.. that is not Chopin

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Oberon Smith wrote:Quick question concerning the Bach/Bauer status in todays Chopin only recital rules.. where does he/do they stand. It has been a few years since I had to perform, and I would like to open the program with a Bach/Bauer transcription. Does anyone know if they have totally fallen out of favor. Thank you Oberon Smith
Dear Obiwan,
It is most definitely not out of favour, I am playing with increasing regularity for Eurhythmy groups Franck/Bauer PrelFug&Vary, good transcriptions never fall out of favour, shortly I have a recital where I am playing anything but well known composers to the vast majority of the audience, keeps the beggars awake having to listen to somthing they have never heard before, Young, Alkan, Bonis, Griffes, MacCunn, HullandHellandHalifax, Liszt/Spohr, Soloviev and Rhene-Baton. Do let us know your programme when you have it finalised.
best wishes
Brian
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:I have a recital where I am playing anything but well known composers to the vast majority of the audience, keeps the beggars awake having to listen to somthing they have never heard before, Young, Alkan, Bonis, Griffes, MacCunn, HullandHellandHalifax, Liszt/Spohr, Soloviev and Rhene-Baton.
Dear TripleH,

Now that's my kind of recital - I did a couple of those last year. I take it the Liszt/Spohr is the 'Rose, Softly Blooming' (lovely transcription)? And what, pray tell, is the MacCunn piece? I have very little of his music.

Regards
Fred
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

fredbucket wrote:
HullandHellandHalifax wrote:I have a recital where I am playing anything but well known composers to the vast majority of the audience, keeps the beggars awake having to listen to somthing they have never heard before, Young, Alkan, Bonis, Griffes, MacCunn, HullandHellandHalifax, Liszt/Spohr, Soloviev and Rhene-Baton.
Dear TripleH,

Now that's my kind of recital - I did a couple of those last year. I take it the Liszt/Spohr is the 'Rose, Softly Blooming' (lovely transcription)? And what, pray tell, is the MacCunn piece? I have very little of his music.

Regards
Fred
Hi Fred, thanks for the thumbs up, these sort of programmes keep me going, discovering new things and communicating them to "Innocent ears" . Yes the Liszt is the Rose, great piece and the public love it too. The Bonis is the Cathedrale blessee and that goes down a bomb too. The Hamish MacCunn is a really beautiful thing called In the Glen, it is not difficult and I would think make a great solo item for younger fingers that even grannie would like. I shall post it in the British composers thread where I suppose it belongs.
regards
Brian
Oberon Smith

Post by Oberon Smith »

Thank you .... Triple H, I am very glad that the Bach/Bauer is still being played.
PS... I may be pulling out the "At Midnight", not sure if the digits can still do it.LMAO