Performing piano music for one hand

Questions and discussion on technical, teaching and performance matters
Oberon Smith

Re: Scores for one hand

Post by Oberon Smith »

while on the subject, why not look into the two handed music, that can then be played with one hand. CPE Bach comes to mind, where for correct performance, if you sound like one hand , you have "missed the boat"..the object, as I was taught, is not to sound like one or two hands, but, you can not sound labored. I don't know if other member here have learned many left handed pieces, personally, I love em, they are fun to play, great audiance appeal, I wish more performers would feature them. ..... especially the Saint-Saens and CPE..... and of course, Dr. Ganz.... shameless plug I know. Oberon
Arjuna
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: No

Post by Arjuna »

Oberon Smith wrote:while on the subject, why not look into the two handed music, that can then be played with one hand.
Good point. I remember a long time ago, when I was preparing for a 4th or 5th grade exam, a was delighted to realise that the little Khachaturian study I was learning could be played with one hand. Of course I didn't do it in the exam but it was an interesting exercise - especially in working out the best fingering.

I also remember reading a story about a rather boastful pianist who used to play particular passages, meant for two hands, with one hand, while with his other hand he blew his nose.
Oberon Smith

Post by Oberon Smith »

LOLOLOL.....colorful, but I was thinking along the lines of Solfeggietto...LOLOLOL