Harmony

Questions and discussion on technical, teaching and performance matters
ilu
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Harmony

Post by ilu »

I am looking for a Piano Harmony book, besides the traditional ones, such as Rimski Korsakov's Practical Manual of Harmony, that would contain the lessons since the very begining, on traditional and modern harmony.

Thank you in advance.

ILU
Last edited by ilu on Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quo melius Illac
Arjuna
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: No

Harmony

Post by Arjuna »

My favorite textbook is Robert Gauldin's "Harmonic practice in tonal music". If you want to learn about 20th century harmony there is a very good book called
"Twentieth-Century Harmony: Creative Aspects and Practice" by Vincent Persichetti. But, my harmony teacher always told me the best way to learn harmony (and counterpoint) is to study scores.
Modern harmony is a bit tricky since almost every composer more or less invents his own harmony. In the advanced harmony class I took at university we studied a different composer each week rather than trying to cover a particular period or genre.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Harmony

Post by ilu »

Arjuna:

Thank you so much for your recommendations.
I am seeking some harmony book for beginners (some young students asked me for), so your recomendations are for me!
Quo melius Illac
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Harmony

Post by rob »

I have the Vincent Persichetti, and I remember a quarter of a century ago being irritated that he quotes from his own music, whereas Walter Piston, in his volume 'Harmony', modestly did not do so. Maybe my recollection is wrong, but that's the impression I had then and still retain. But then I am a fan of Walter Piston, a somewhat finer composer than Persichetti in my view.

Another, more slender volume on my shelf, is 'Understanding Harmony - An Unconventional Textbook' by Robert L Jacobs (Oxford University Press 1958) which I used to dip into.

Incidentally I really did not understand why the thread has been titled 'Learning Piano Harmony', and so have simplified the title simply to 'Harmony' which will allow greater flexibility of use.

Rob
ilu
Pianomaniac

Re: Harmony

Post by ilu »

Rob:

Thank you for the advice. I will recommend first the Jacobs’ and I will try to get it.

Regarding the original title posted by me, was precisely on basic harmony for the students interested “in learning” it.

ILU
Quo melius Illac
klavierelch
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Recorder

Post by klavierelch »

Ilu:
I think it was not the "learning" aspect which Rob queried, but the "piano" aspect. Harmony is harmony - regardless of the instruments on which these harmonies are played. And indeed all the literature referred to is not restricted to the piano, but tries to explain harmony in general.
Ars opus est hominis, non opus artis homo.

John Owen, Epigrammata (1615)
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

klavierelch wrote:Ilu:
I think it was not the "learning" aspect which Rob queried, but the "piano" aspect. Harmony is harmony - regardless of the instruments on which these harmonies are played. And indeed all the literature referred to is not restricted to the piano, but tries to explain harmony in general.
Precisely so. Harmony is harmony. (Though if we were to digress into choral singing in complex harmony, pitches can wander off toward natural temperament rather than equal temperament! :shock: )
Arjuna
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: No

Post by Arjuna »

Question:
In equal temperament, are all the octaves pure octaves and the fourths and fifths, and other intervals, are not, or are the octaves out as well?
rob
Pianomaniac

Post by rob »

Arjuna wrote:Question:
In equal temperament, are all the octaves pure octaves and the fourths and fifths, and other intervals, are not, or are the octaves out as well?
This is the portal on Wikipedia which will explain all through its various links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_temperament

Octaves are of course pure by definition. My understanding is that in what I have called natural temperament, which perhaps ought to be called 'Just Intonation', Fifths (and therefore their inverse, Fourths) are pure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_intonation#Singing

It seems to have been the development of harmony using Thirds that forced the change to the then accepted temperaments. And at that point one must hand over to the experts who have written the Wikipedia pages...
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

Arjuna wrote:In equal temperament, are all the octaves pure octaves and the fourths and fifths, and other intervals, are not, or are the octaves out as well?
The best and most concise explanation I have come across is by the American composer Kyle Gann on his website here - http://www.kylegann.com/histune.html

Regards
Fred