Pianists and their lack of knowledge about their instrument

Questions and discussion on technical, teaching and performance matters
Roeland

Re: Pianists and their lack of knowledge about their instrument

Post by Roeland »

I am doing what I can to keep humidity in control for my piano: I have a humidifier and a de-humidifier.And I am sure that this helps the piano staying tuned.I check the humidity every day.
Maybe a trivial question: what can I use best to clean the piano? Mine has a black polished surface.When I use a towel with water this still gives ugly spots.Someone told me to use the same fluid that is used to clean windows, but a tuner told me that this ruins the polish.

Thanks
Roeland
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes

Post by rob »

Roeland wrote:I am doing what I can to keep humidity in control for my piano: I have a humidifier and a de-humidifier.And I am sure that this helps the piano staying tuned.I check the humidity every day.
Maybe a trivial question: what can I use best to clean the piano? Mine has a black polished surface.When I use a towel with water this still gives ugly spots.Someone told me to use the same fluid that is used to clean windows, but a tuner told me that this ruins the polish.

Thanks
Roeland
Window cleaner usually has a mild acid in it - often vinegar (acetic acid), so that would certainly destroy the polish....
Roeland

Post by Roeland »

rob wrote:
Roeland wrote:I am doing what I can to keep humidity in control for my piano: I have a humidifier and a de-humidifier.And I am sure that this helps the piano staying tuned.I check the humidity every day.

Thanks
Roeland
Window cleaner usually has a mild acid in it - often vinegar (acetic acid), so that would certainly destroy the polish....
Thanks Rob.The "manual" of my piano only says that I have to avoid using aggresive fluids, without any further explanation.Such manuals are more and more designed by lawyers that have to prevent the manufacturers of being sued.
fastscot

Post by fastscot »

I started piano lessons when I was six and we had an old upright in our house. I always had a desire to find out how things worked (the engineer in me) so by the time I was in my mid teens I had already figured out how to repair, tune and regulate my old upright! I even replaced a bass string once - I was playing one of the heavy handed Dave Brubeck numbers from the Time-out album and a string snapped and flew right out of the top of the piano which was open at the time!! I believe all serious pianists should at least have a basic understanding of the piano's mechanism and know how the voicing process works. With modern, accurate electronic tuners, anyone can learn how to tune a piano - even if you're tone deaf! There is nothing more satisfying than tuning and voicing your own piano to sound exactly the way you want it to sound

Neil