leggiero touch

Questions and discussion on technical, teaching and performance matters
burstroman
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

leggiero touch

Post by burstroman »

Hello, Any help on how to learn what is often called "leggiero" touch? Thank you for your answers.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes

Re: leggiero touch

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

At the risk of sounding banal and predictable...practice, practice, practice. It is on the same street as Carnegie Hall. I could suggest a couple of things, firstly I am an organist as well and as you do not need strength for the organ but most definitely a light touch and a legato touch, try playing the organ somewhere and you will soon realise by the sound of the organ how unequal, staccato and stiffly you play or not, it is a torture but well worth the effort, let your fingers do the talking and walking. Because your touch is different and there is no increase in volume as you play you mentally play more leggiero.
Don't be afraid to use the pedal to allow the sound to bleed into the next note until you have mastered the touch so that you use less pedal for the right reason. Keep your fingers close to the keys in an almost flat position alla Horowitz thus avoiding the staccato touch, no shoulder weight either. I hope some of this helps but unfortunately there are no quick fixes for this, it is constant practice.
regards
Brian