Piano Shopping Experience

Questions and discussion on technical, teaching and performance matters
adamjohnson
Music Scores: No

Piano Shopping Experience

Post by adamjohnson »

I've been considering an acoustic piano for a few months but haven't really had the opportunity to shop for one until yesterday. I live in a rural location and a two hour drive to a Dr.'s appointment in a small city finally gave me a chance. I've only been playing for 2 years, self taught, digital piano only and I attempt to play pop, jazz, gospel and new age music.
more: iris garden
The dealer I visited carries Kawai, Mason&Hamlin and Hailun and also had a couple of used Steinway's. I spent most of my time playing a Kawai GX-2, M&H A and Hailun 178, but also tried a 1985 Steinway M and a rebuilt Steinway B. I liked each for different reasons but my overall favorite was the Hailun. The action was the least tiring for my old hands but still very responsive and I found the tone very pleasing in all registers. I was really surprised, as I definitely went in with preconceived notions about Chinese pianos.

I've mainly been looking for used pianos but I may have to rethink that, as the new 178 fits in my budget and has a long warranty plus delivery and setup/tuning; it sure would simplify things. I'd take the floor model which is about 7 months old and has been tuned numerous times and is stable. If only it wasn't so shiny.
Chính thức ra mắt dự án chung cư PCC1 Thanh Xuân | chung cư Eco Dream City Nguyễn Xiển và dự án eco dream bảng giá gốc