Philharmonia Chorus Concerts

What's on, when and where
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Philharmonia Chorus Concerts

Post by fredbucket »

Since when does 'STRAUSS Die FLedermaus Overture' have anything to do with Christmas?

Regards
Fred
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

fredbucket wrote:
Since when does 'STRAUSS Die FLedermaus Overture' have anything to do with Christmas?

Regards
Fred
Because as you well know Fred that the English are totally "batty" about Christmas otherwise why would they do it, complain about it and continue doing it.
An escapee from an English Christmas
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:
fredbucket wrote:

Regards
Fred
Because as you well know Fred that the English are totally "batty" about Christmas otherwise why would they do it, complain about it and continue doing it.
An escapee from an English Christmas
I'm quite clear why I do the Xmas concerts - it shows loyalty to the chorus (and the chorus makes a bit of money), and as a result I will get to sing in the more exciting things we are doing next year - Mahler 2 (London), James MacMillan St John Passion (Kings College Cambridge) and Beethoven 9 (with Mackerras in London & Valladolid in Spain). It's also quite rewarding to have really enthusiastic and sold-out audiences. Similarly the recent Classic FM & Carmina Burana concerts were, shall we say, not the highest musical fare, although artistically and musically they were delivered impeccably. In contrast, our finest concert in the last year was an a capella gig in Islington in a venue that was only half-full, yet it may have been the finest stuff I've ever performed, and the chorus really surpassed itself.