Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Schott Spring Piano Series 2011

Post by isokani »

SCHOTT SPRING PIANO SERIES 2011

1 April 6.30pm
John White 75th Birthday Concert
John White, Sarah Walker, Dave Smith, Chisato Kusunoki, Jonathan Powell
This celebration will feature the composer performing some of his recent sonatas, the second-ever performance of the 1961 Symphony in Five Movements in Memory of Ch.V. Morhange, the 20-minute Sonata no.135, as well as works by Satie and Busoni.

9 April 6.30pm
Mark Viner
The programme includes Alkan’s Sonatine, and some of the notorious studies by his compatriot and contemporary Méreaux, as well as works by Beethoven, Chopin

16 April 6.30pm
Jørgen Hald Nielsen
The Danish pianist returns to London with another innovative programme containing works by Grainger (Jutish Medley), Sorabji (Transcendental Study no.79 ‘The Inlaid Line’), Alistair Hinton (A Birthday Paraphrase for Ronald Sevenson and Cabaraphrase), the pianist’s one-time teacher Nils Viggo Bentzon, Brahms and Mozart (Sonata for two pianos, for which he is joined by Jonathan Powell).

23 April 6.30pm
ArtPianos: Irena Jakuboszczak and Małgorzata Jackowska
This engaging piano duo from Poland will play music by Poulenc, two works by Pancho Vladigerov inspired by his homeland Bulgaria, Brazilian chorô by Paulinho da Viola, and tangos by Astor Piazzolla in definitive arrangements by Piazzolla’s own pianist Roberto Ziegler.

30 April 7pm
Michael Jones
The evening is dedicated to two masterpieces of French late Romanticism by D’Indy and Vierne, as well as several unpublished works by York Bowen and his Variations on an Unoriginal Theme.

6 May 6.30pm
Nicholas Austin and Jonathan Powell will play solo works by Liszt, Prokofiev, Čiurlionis, Blancafort and Szymanowski.

All tickets are available on the door: ₤10/7 (concs.)

Schott Recital Room
48 Great Marlborough Street
London W1F 7BB
Underground: Oxford
Circus or Tottenham Court Rd
0207 292 6090
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Schott Spring Piano Series 2011

Post by 4candles »

This looks like a very interesting set of concerts. I especially welcome the Sonatas by White and the pieces by Méreaux (and the Sorabji).
I bemoan the fact that I can never attend this sort of series, living across the water in Northern Ireland.
I simply can't afford to make it over, much to my dissatisfaction!