Why can't anyone get it right?
remy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: YouTube Finds

Post by remy »

fredbucket wrote:
alpha wrote:About a week ago the entire 1963 Raymond Lewenthal WBAI broadcast on Alkan was posted, in 19 parts.
I have extracted the audio from these and it may be downloaded from here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y0kujwmnjo2. It is about 104 mByte, fairly large.

Regards
Fred
Thanks very much Alpha and Fred.

jeremy
parag
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by parag »

iano wrote:I wonder whether anyone could help me with a video of Prokofiev in his dacha that was posted a while ago. I'm interested to know whether I remembered correctly that he made an analogy between chess and composition.

iano
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA82T3wFyi8

Here is a translation I had found somewhere:

"Well, right now I am working on a symphonic suite of waltzes, which will include three waltzes from Cinderella, two waltzes from War and Peace, and one waltz from the movie score "Lermontov." [War and Peace] has just been brilliantly produced in Leningrad, where the composer Cheshko (?) made an especially noteworthy appearance as a tenor, giving a superb performance in the role of Pierre Bezukhoff. Besides this suite, I am working on a sonata for violin and piano [no.1 in f minor], upon completion of which I will resume work on the sixth symphony, which I had started last year. I have just completed three suites from the Cinderella ballet and I am now turning the score over to copyists for writing the parts, so that most likely the suites will already be performed at the beginning of the fall season."

Best,
Parag
iano

Post by iano »

Thank you parag, for the link and translation. Wonderful footage, isn't it?

It does bother me that I've misremembered so completely the bit about chess, especially as I was planning to refer to it in an 'occasional address' tomorrow! Oh well...

iano
parag
Site Admin

Post by parag »

iano wrote:Thank you parag, for the link and translation. Wonderful footage, isn't it?

It does bother me that I've misremembered so completely the bit about chess, especially as I was planning to refer to it in an 'occasional address' tomorrow! Oh well...

iano
Most welcome Ian, it is indeed an incredible footage... the waltz is gorgeous; sadly not played at all.
Your confusion perhaps was borne out of the reference to "Chesko" (??)...

Best,
Parag
iano

Post by iano »

Possibly. Anyway, I've asked Anthony Phillips what he knows about it, being too lazy to read the diaries myself...
player

Post by player »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaYYch3Y ... re=related

I found this today (Sorry if it's not new).
It is driving me mad - does anyone know what it is or who is playing it?
The poster reckons it is a Strauss paraphrase - it may well be though the waltz is unfamiliar to me.
Please help,
Rob
Aggelos
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by Aggelos »

Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

player wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaYYch3Y ... re=related

The poster reckons it is a Strauss paraphrase - it may well be though the waltz is unfamiliar to me.
Please help,
Rob
A more recent entry says that "it is Richter playing a Franz L. piece in E Flat Major in the 1940's", if this can be of any help.
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.

Post by lutoslawski »

monti's czarda in a lisztian way hehe.
player

Post by player »

Jean-Séb wrote:
player wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaYYch3Y ... re=related

Please help,
Rob
A more recent entry says that "it is Richter playing a Franz L. piece in E Flat Major in the 1940's", if this can be of any help.
Yes, thanks. Listening again it is very likely a Liszt piece but I'm not sure about Richter - I've checked two separate discographies and there are no unfamiliar Liszt works mentioned (well, at least not from the 40s or even 50s). I shall investigate further.
Rob