Zadora

Why can't anyone get it right?
player
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Zadora

Post by player »

I have briefly mislaid the paper (during a move) but recently noticed a note I made to myself many, many years ago regarding 78s. Amongst the list (and after all the Barere's and levitzki's etc) was mwntion of Michael Zadora playing Tschaikovski Piano Concerto 1 on Polydor. Considering the recent set from APR contained the complete recordings (except for one disc of Amadis and Stockhoff) does anyone have any information about this recording? Was it actually made or was it like the Sapellnikov Rakhmaninov Concerto 2 - announced but never forthcoming?
Thanks,
Rob
Scharwenka790
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Scharwenka790 »

player wrote:I have briefly mislaid the paper (during a move) but recently noticed a note I made to myself many, many years ago regarding 78s. Amongst the list (and after all the Barere's and levitzki's etc) was mwntion of Michael Zadora playing Tschaikovski Piano Concerto 1 on Polydor. Considering the recent set from APR contained the complete recordings (except for one disc of Amadis and Stockhoff) does anyone have any information about this recording? Was it actually made or was it like the Sapellnikov Rakhmaninov Concerto 2 - announced but never forthcoming?
Thanks,
Rob
Hi Rob
This Tchaikovsky recording does seem to have been announced but was never issued, I remember seeing it listed in the great collector, Harry Anderson's
catalogue at IPAM with a question mark beside it. He clearly never found it. I have checked with Don Manildi, the current curator at IPAM, and he confirms that no trace of this has ever been found. I suppose the big question is whether the recording was actually made, in which case there may just be test pressings hidden somewhere, or whether it was only a proposal. Not much seems to be known (at least in the English speaking world) about the pre-war Polydor label.

Mike
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

Has anyone seen Zadora's transcription of Jensen's Murmuring Zephyrs? It may be similar to those that are out there, but I am still curious to see it, if it exists.