Vocal Music from the British Isles

The human voice with or without any instrument(s)
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Vocal Music from the British Isles

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Nice to have you back Fred and I do hope you don't follow in the footsteps of dear Isaac Nathan, who reportedly didn't care what he said or how he said it and as a result upset a lot of folks, totally unlike you of course (scouse git).
regards
Brian
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

HullandHellandHalifax wrote:Nice to have you back Fred and I do hope you don't follow in the footsteps of dear Isaac Nathan, who reportedly didn't care what he said or how he said it and as a result upset a lot of folks, totally unlike you of course (scouse git).
Thanks HHH, the trip was very enjoyable, very successful and very hot (Philippines always is at this time of year).

I haven't upset anyone for quite a while now. I think I'm losing my touch...

Regards
Fred
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

From the Bavarian Library:

Wit and Mirth: OR, PILLS TO PURGE Melancholy: BEING A Collection of the best Merry BALLADS and SONGS, Old and New. ... for either Voice, or Instrument:
Autor: Playford, Henry
URL: http://reader.digitale-sammlungen.de/de ... 0001.html/
Nitetti overture

Regards
Fred
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

The perfect English combo - Keats's words and Stanford's music. Er, but the title's in French!
The ballad itself consists of 12 quatrains of ABCB rhyme in iambic tetrameter form, except
for every last line, which is in iambic trimeter form. The music is in F minor.
Stanford La Belle Dame Sans Merci.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Jean-Séb »

Timtin wrote:but the title's in French!
For good reasons:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Belle_Dame_sans_Merci
Thank you Tim.
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

Dora Bright (1862-1951)

Bright D - Six Songs from 'The Jungle Book' for High Voice & Piano (Elkin 1913 mhb).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrTchaikovsky

Post by MrTchaikovsky »

Here are the "Five Jacobean Lyrics Op.28" by Quilter, not to be found on imslp.
This is not my own scan, but I can't remember where I found it.
Quilter-Op.28 5 Jacobean Lyrics.pdf
Last edited by MrTchaikovsky on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Und sollte ich vergessen haben, jemanden zu beschimpfen, dann bitte ich um Verzeihung! - Brahms
MrTchaikovsky

Post by MrTchaikovsky »

Coates-Summer Afternoon.pdf
Coates-I pitch my lonely Caravan at Night.pdf
Coates-Bird Songs at Eventide G.pdf
Coates-Bird Songs at Eventide B flat.pdf
Another good one: Eric Coates, primarily known for his well crafted light music, represented here by two of his smash hit songs
"Bird Songs at Eventide" and "I pitch my lonely Caravan at Night", with "Summer Afternoon" thrown in for good measure.

I found these scores on the website of the national library of Australia, they are for some reason not on imslp.
The layout is in need of getting used to...
Last edited by MrTchaikovsky on Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Und sollte ich vergessen haben, jemanden zu beschimpfen, dann bitte ich um Verzeihung! - Brahms
Timtin
Pianodeity

Post by Timtin »

Firstly, thank you MrTchaikovsky for the above files. Note that to make them searchable, they need to be placed in line after uploading and before submitting.

Secondly, the link below provides an excellent selection of songs, along with various silent movie scores. Some of these files have very colourful covers. I've also uploaded one of the songs, by my fellow Leicesterian, the admirable Mr Lawrence Wright, as a taster.

Regards, Mr Timtin.

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/downloads ... erformance
Wright Goodnight Mr Nightingale.pdf
Timtin
Pianodeity

Post by Timtin »

Having recently bought quite a few parlour songs from roughly 1910 to 1925 for virtually no money at a local charity shop, it piqued my interest in the genre. It quickly became apparent that there's also a fine collection of them available from the Australian War Memorial website. Not only is the sheet music free to download, but also there are recordings of these wonderfully nostalgic songs to listen to. Here's the link:-

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C2094733