Vocal Music from the British Isles

The human voice with or without any instrument(s)
davida march
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Re: Vocal Music from the British Isles

Post by davida march »

Does anyone have Wolseley Charles - The Green-eyed Dragon (with Thirteen Tails)?

Thanks
Helen
selingzhang

Post by selingzhang »

rob wrote:
Alex wrote:Does anyone have Roger Quilter's very fine 3 Shakespeare Songs, Op. 6?

Yes, nms tttos
Hello rob

I appreciate your Quilter's op.6 medium key version songs, they gave me amazing singing experience. I'm planing to sing of of those for a vocal competition in the US. I have problem here, if bring the copy to the competition you gave me would be not acceptable, I will need to bring a published book. I want to know your ideas about where/how can I get the actual 'book' of the medium key version? I researched online a lot and tried to buy one, but so far I don't see any medium key version of this op.6.

Thanks a lot!
Seling
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes

Post by rob »

selingzhang wrote:
rob wrote:
Alex wrote:Does anyone have Roger Quilter's very fine 3 Shakespeare Songs, Op. 6?

Yes, nms tttos
Hello rob

I appreciate your Quilter's op.6 medium key version songs, they gave me amazing singing experience. I'm planing to sing of of those for a vocal competition in the US. I have problem here, if bring the copy to the competition you gave me would be not acceptable, I will need to bring a published book. I want to know your ideas about where/how can I get the actual 'book' of the medium key version? I researched online a lot and tried to buy one, but so far I don't see any medium key version of this op.6.

Thanks a lot!
Seling
Boosey & Hawkes are or were the publisher, but I can't see those songs in a medium version online: http://www.boosey.com/pages/cr/catalogu ... 77&stype=1

So you could contact them by email: http://www.boosey.com/pages/aboutus/help/contact.asp and they should be able to offer you an authorised reprint, photocopy or scan.

However the scan you have was copyrighted in 1905/6, and although the composer is not public domain in the UK or Europe, and works published after 1924 (I think) are not public domain in the USA, works published BEFORE 1924 are I believe public domain in the USA, so there should be no argument at all. I do not understand why you MUST have a published book version when the item used is public domain.

Rob
Allan

Post by Allan »

rob wrote:... and works published after 1924 (I think) are not public domain in the USA, works published BEFORE 1924 are I believe public domain in the USA, so there should be no argument at all. I do not understand why you MUST have a published book version when the item used is public domain.

Rob
Actually 1923 is the general cutoff year for the U.S. So 1922 and earlier are in the clear, with a few exceptions.

Here's a chart that can help you navigate U.S. Copyright to determine if a work is in the Public Domain, or not for the U.S.: http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

Here's a bit of that famous Englishman Karel Drofnatski !
Stanford The Fairy Lough Op77 No2.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Timtin on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
selingzhang

Post by selingzhang »

Hello Rob,

Sorry for replying so late! I'm doing vocal grad study in the US, I have been doing super busy with classes. Thank you very much for the info you gave me! I'll definitely contact Boosey & Hawkes for the medium key version. In terms of why do I need to bring the published version for vocal competition, I really don't know. I shown my voice prof medium key version, we all love this key version very much, but she told me I will need to find the published music to the judges for the competition, otherwise I will need to sing the high voice version(it has published version everywhere), which is not perfect for me. I really don't know why, I'm so confused too. I think maybe it's just a rule of the competition. Btw, this is the one I'm going to sing for, if you wanna take a look: http://www.nats.org/
Thank you so much again!!!

Seling
rob wrote:
selingzhang wrote:
rob wrote:

Yes, nms tttos
Hello rob

Thanks a lot!
Seling
Boosey & Hawkes are or were the publisher, but I can't see those songs in a medium version online: http://www.boosey.com/pages/cr/catalogu ... 77&stype=1

So you could contact them by email: http://www.boosey.com/pages/aboutus/help/contact.asp and they should be able to offer you an authorised reprint, photocopy or scan.

However the scan you have was copyrighted in 1905/6, and although the composer is not public domain in the UK or Europe, and works published after 1924 (I think) are not public domain in the USA, works published BEFORE 1924 are I believe public domain in the USA, so there should be no argument at all. I do not understand why you MUST have a published book version when the item used is public domain.

Rob
relative
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by relative »

Does anybody have songs by Julius Benedict?
Allan

Post by Allan »

Seling, I just thought of something that may be allow to get a "published" book copy of the music for your competition.

Since it's in the public domain in the U.S., and you have a pdf of it, you could possibly use one of the self-publishing sites to create a bound book. You may just need to put together a simple cover design to wrap it in.

The two sites I know of, off the top of my head, are https://www.createspace.com/ , and http://www.lulu.com/ .

Depending on what it would cost to get a reprint direct from a publisher, it may cheaper to set it up with one of these sites, and pay for a proof copy.

Just a thought.
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

Alicia Adelaide Needham's Album of 12 Hush-Songs (Lullabies) is really quite engaging.
However, they are probably deeply unfashionable, especially amongst PP's young pianistic
whipper-snappers. If any interest is shown in this sampler (No7), I'll scan the whole set.
Needham Softly Sleeps my Baby (Hush-Song No7).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

Timtin wrote:If any interest is shown in this sampler (No7), I'll scan the whole set.
Go ahead. There are many insomniacs on PP for whom this would just be the ticket...

Regards
Fred
(it's 12:15 am here and I'm going to try to get some sleep myself - so perhaps I need these just as much as anyone)