Choral Music

The human voice with or without any instrument(s)
User avatar
rob
Site Admin
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Choral Music

Post by rob » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:15 pm

Rather than post this in the Sacred Music thread - it's rather atypical for sacred music - I thought I'd start a new thread where I can post the kind of stuff I tend to sing most.

This is to my mind, something of a minor masterpiece. Certainly one of Poulenc's finest works - although there are so many by this brilliantly urbane, witty, clever Frenchman. By turns, funny, cutting and passionate, Poulenc's Gloria was a joy to sing from first note to last, and is obstinately memorable, thank goodness! Here's my own scan of this beautiful little miracle.
Poulenc FP177 Gloria for soprano mixed voices & orch 1959 vs.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Op. XXXIX

Re: Choral Music

Post by Op. XXXIX » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:30 am

Many thanks, rob- I've always loved this wonderful gem! And Poulenc actually believed and understood what those words meant.

User avatar
fredbucket
Site Admin
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Choral Music

Post by fredbucket » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:36 am

rob wrote:Rather than post this in the Sacred Music thread - it's rather atypical for sacred music - I thought I'd start a new thread where I can post the kind of stuff I tend to sing most.
Funny. I thought the Sex Pistols were still under copyright :)

User avatar
rob
Site Admin
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Choral Music

Post by rob » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:35 am

fredbucket wrote:
rob wrote:Rather than post this in the Sacred Music thread - it's rather atypical for sacred music - I thought I'd start a new thread where I can post the kind of stuff I tend to sing most.
Funny. I thought the Sex Pistols were still under copyright :)
Odd that you should mention the Sex Pistols... I met Malcolm McClaren (their manager & guru) 25 years ago, and have to say he is one of the rudest people I have ever met.

Would you really want to hear me sing 'God Save the Queen' in the style of Johnny Rotten? I could you know - I'm a decent mimic!!!! Now where's that Union Jack t-shirt, braces & bovver boots...?

patrickbrompton
Participant
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:02 pm
Music Scores: No

Re: Choral Music

Post by patrickbrompton » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:03 am

I met Glen Matlock a few years back. He was very polite.

User avatar
arglmann
Pianophiliac
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:28 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Glass Organ, Honk
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Choral Music

Post by arglmann » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi everyone,
could you maybe hlep me with this:
I'm searching for orchestra material
to "Les Béatitudes" by César Franck.
IMSLP and Carus Edition both only have
the piano reduction, so do various libraries...
Has anyone ever seen this material?
Where can I hire it?

Thanks in advance,
Arglmann
Listen, die die Welt bedeuten.

User avatar
rob
Site Admin
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Choral Music

Post by rob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:22 pm

arglmann wrote:Hi everyone,
could you maybe hlep me with this:
I'm searching for orchestra material
to "Les Béatitudes" by César Franck.
IMSLP and Carus Edition both only have
the piano reduction, so do various libraries...
Has anyone ever seen this material?
Where can I hire it?

Thanks in advance,
Arglmann
I suppose we are very lucky in London in that our biggest public music library (The Central Music Library @ City of Westminster) has sets of orchestral parts that can be borrowed for very small fees. Many of the large choruses also have enormous music libraries of their own and regularly help each other out. Might a similar set up exist where you live? I am sure that even the librarians of professional orchestras would lend orchestral parts for a small fee if you made the right approach. That said, I am unaware of any organisation that actually holds the parts to this work.

User avatar
arglmann
Pianophiliac
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:28 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Glass Organ, Honk
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Choral Music

Post by arglmann » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:58 pm

rob wrote:
arglmann wrote:Hi everyone,
could you maybe hlep me with this:
I'm searching for orchestra material
to "Les Béatitudes" by César Franck.
IMSLP and Carus Edition both only have
the piano reduction, so do various libraries...
Has anyone ever seen this material?
Where can I hire it?

Thanks in advance,
Arglmann
I suppose we are very lucky in London in that our biggest public music library (The Central Music Library @ City of Westminster) has sets of orchestral parts that can be borrowed for very small fees. Many of the large choruses also have enormous music libraries of their own and regularly help each other out. Might a similar set up exist where you live? I am sure that even the librarians of professional orchestras would lend orchestral parts for a small fee if you made the right approach. That said, I am unaware of any organisation that actually holds the parts to this work.
Thank you very much, rob.
I wasn't aware of that way to deal with scores.
My second approach would have been anyway to check out recordings at amazon etc.
and to ask the orchestras where they have got their material from.
Thanks for telling me it's a common thing!
I'll start phoning around tomorrow!

Cheers,
Arglmann
Listen, die die Welt bedeuten.

WCosand
Pianophiliac
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:01 pm
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Tempe, Arizona USA
Contact:

Re: Choral Music

Post by WCosand » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Not sure which thread madrigals belong in but the Bavarian Library has been digitising a chunk of material from four hundred years ago. Some of you might want to check it out:
feed://www.digitale-sammlungen.de/mdz/rss/mdz-musikalien.xml

User avatar
rob
Site Admin
Posts: 969
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Choral Music

Post by rob » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:32 am

Requested elsewhere on the board...
Toch WoO Geographical Fugue 1930 for speaking chorus.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply