Saint-Saens Carnival of Animals

Large instrumental groups with or without piano
juno_nb

Saint-Saens Carnival of Animals

Post by juno_nb »

Thoughts on performing Saint-Saens Carnival of Animals in original form for 11 instruments? Pros and cons? Should there really be a narrator (personally i HATE it with narrator...)?

Mod edit: moved from chamber music discussion - probably better here. FB
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Saint-Saens Carnival of Animals

Post by fredbucket »

juno_nb wrote:Thoughts on performing Saint-Saens Carnival of Animals in original form for 11 instruments? Pros and cons? Should there really be a narrator (personally i HATE it with narrator...)?
I think S-S regarded this as a bit of a trifle - perhaps the same can be said for Peter and the Wolf.

The narration of course is not original, and even worse, is American, so my thoughts are with you. If you can get away with it, fine, but I suspect Nash's words are too ingrained into the public psyche for you not to get away with it.

Regards
Camille

PS as there are two pianos involved, who gets to play the Stuart? :-)
juno_nb

Post by juno_nb »

It just ruins the music with narrator - aquarium for example! - scoring is 2 violins, viola, cello, double bass, flute, clarinet, 2 pianos, 2 percussionists.
The Stuart - would love to play the Stuart but we have a matched pair of C7's and it would sound feeble with a C7 against a Stuart so i think it will have to be the two Yamaha which are not terrible but not amazing either :(
arglmann
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Glass Organ, Honk

Post by arglmann »

juno_nb wrote:It just ruins the music with narrator - aquarium for example! - scoring is 2 violins, viola, cello, double bass, flute, clarinet, 2 pianos, 2 percussionists.
The Stuart - would love to play the Stuart but we have a matched pair of C7's and it would sound feeble with a C7 against a Stuart so i think it will have to be the two Yamaha which are not terrible but not amazing either :(
The most interesting thing is for me what Saint-Saens really meant with "harmonica". I think he meant the harmonica from the definition of Berlioz' Treatise;
something like a piano with glass keys or similar...
Listen, die die Welt bedeuten.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

arglmann wrote:something like a piano with glass keys or similar...
I believe the 'correct' name is the armonica - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_armonica

Regards
Fred
juno_nb

Post by juno_nb »

fredbucket wrote:
I believe the 'correct' name is the armonica - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_armonica

Regards
Fred
I will likely opt for a celeste over the glock' that S-S suggested as an alternative, it doesn't seem unlikely that had the instrument been around longer at the time he may have authorized it... quite a stretch i know...
arglmann
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Glass Organ, Honk

Post by arglmann »

juno_nb wrote:
fredbucket wrote:

Regards
Fred
I will likely opt for a celeste over the glock' that S-S suggested as an alternative, it doesn't seem unlikely that had the instrument been around longer at the time he may have authorized it... quite a stretch i know...
At least the aquarium is possible with a glass harmonica. Quite fast, but possible :-)
Listen, die die Welt bedeuten.