Music for Multiple Settings

Small instrumental groups with or without piano
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar
Music Scores: Yes

Music for Multiple Settings

Post by caostotale »

I couldn't decide where to put this Ellis B. Kohs score, which is really an unusual set of scores for four separate pieces that are closely related to one another thematically. The only thing I've seen that's remotely similar to this is Milhaud's octet for strings, which can be broken down into his 14th and 15th quartets, though this work doesn't follow the same rules. Here are Kohs' performance notes for the work(s?):
The four compositions that comprise the 'Studies in Variation' may be played separately and independently, or in sequence, but (obviously) not simultaneously. The score order does not represent necessarily the best sequence for concert performance: generally, however, the larger ensemble should follow rather than precede the smaller ensemble or solo.
Movements I-II and III-IV are thematically related, in pairs. There is a limited use of serial procedures throughout, not without some tonal orientation however, with transposition (modulation), based on the row, occurring only in the finale...
...and he goes on to describe the levels of variation at work. Very interesting work by an extremely interesting and relatively unknown American composer.

Ellis B. KOHS
Studies in Variation (1962)

consisting of the following works:
Woodwind Quintet
Piano Quartet
Piano Sonata no. 2
Sonata, for unaccompanied violin

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?p794ky3d2p6d738
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Music for Multiple Settings

Post by rob »

caostotale wrote:...Ellis B. KOHS Studies in Variation (1962)...
Superb. And fascinating.