String Quartets

Small instrumental groups with or without piano
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)
Music Scores: Yes

Re: String Quartets

Post by Riodk »

Myaskovsky ?? Post, Post, Post !!!!!!
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

caostotale wrote:I've been slowing building up a small mountain of string quartets from Soviet-era composers, including a number from the larger cycles therein (e.g. Golubev, Miaskovsky) and many others. I'm curious which, if any, have already been posted here or elsewhere.
All thirteen Myaskovsky Quartets have already been scanned. Some of the scans are not great (mostly grey) but perfectly readable. Alas they are mostly very large files. I will see if I can find the links online if they still exist.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

rob wrote:
caostotale wrote:I've been slowing building up a small mountain of string quartets from Soviet-era composers, including a number from the larger cycles therein (e.g. Golubev, Miaskovsky) and many others. I'm curious which, if any, have already been posted here or elsewhere.
All thirteen Myaskovsky Quartets have already been scanned. Some of the scans are not great (mostly grey) but perfectly readable. Alas they are mostly very large files. I will see if I can find the links online if they still exist.
I believe these are the files Rob refers to:

http://files.mail.ru/2OXTX1
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

Jim Faston wrote:
rob wrote:

Thanks Jim - yes, absolutely.

There is additionally another scan of the 2nd Quartet

http://files.mail.ru/KSIUX1 (wait a few seconds and click on the RED button)

If anyone wants to produce better scans I would be thrilled!
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

rob wrote:
Jim Faston wrote:
rob wrote:

Thanks Jim - yes, absolutely.

There is additionally another scan of the 2nd Quartet

http://files.mail.ru/KSIUX1 (wait a few seconds and click on the RED button)

If anyone wants to produce better scans I would be thrilled!

I was just going through them to see if I could shrink the files any and post them here--no luck on most of them. The whole lot can be download as a zipfile as well.

Jim
Generoso
Instruments played, if any: Cello

Post by Generoso »

caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar

Post by caostotale »

I have a whole bunch of Soviet chamber pieces to post. I'll start with Ukrainian composer Boris Lyatoshinsky's fourth quartet. I've not heard this piece performed, but I've heard the 'Ukrainian Quintet' for piano quintet, op. 42 and the op. 44 piano preludes, which bookend this work in his catalog. The third quartet, from the late 1920s, is a pretty remarkable piece, so I've no doubt this one is good as well.

Boris Mykolayovych LYATOSHINSKY
String Quartet no. 4, op. 43 (1943)
Lyatoshinsky - String Quartet no. 4, op. 43 (1943).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Here is Golubev's second string quartet. I'd love if somebody could help me find the first one. I don't think it was actually published.

Evgeny GOLUBEV
String Quartet no. 2, op. 31 (1950)
Golubev - String Quartet no. 2, op. 31 (1950).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

...and one more Soviet-era quartet tonight. It's hard to figure when this quartet was composed. The publication date on the work is 1947, but Gaigerova passed away in 1944. As with many of her later works, the music explores folk themes from the far-eastern regions of Soviet Russia (in addition to Yakutian themes, her work represented the folk musics of Bashkir, Buryat, Kazakh, Kirghiz, Tatar, Uzbek, and Mongolian peoples).

For my own part, this was a landmark etude in how not to damage an extremely old, brittle, and oddly-shaped miniature score.

Enjoy,

Varvara GAIGEROVA
String Quartet no. 2, 'on Yakutian folk themes', op. 17
http://www.mediafire.com/?csomva6largjs32

(the piece has quite a few pages and was just large enough to be too big for attachment).
caostotale
Pianomaniac

Post by caostotale »

Here's a late work by the Soviet-era composer who was both prolific as an symphonist and notoriously known for his role as an agent of the Soviet state's secret police. The Wikipedia article on him is interesting to say the least ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Knipper ).

This work has actually been recorded and released on the same disc that contains quartets by Mosolov and Roslavets:

Lev Konstantinovich KNIPPER
String Quartet no. 3 (1973)
Knipper - String Quartet no. 3 (1973).pdf