Heinrich Schenker

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
klaviersonic
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Heinrich Schenker

Post by klaviersonic »

I've recently scanned Schenker's Magnum Opus: Der Freie Satz. I also have Der Tonwille and the Art of Performance.

I'm curious to see if anybody has Schenker's edition of Bach's Chromatic Fantasia (with a supposedly very imaginative cadenza), or the Late Beethoven Sonata Analyses (Erläuterungsausgabe, Die letzten fünf Sonaten von Beethoven) ?
Art of Performance - Schenker.pdf
Free Composition (Der Freie Satz).pdf
Free Composition (Der Freie Satz) Vol II.pdf
Der Tonwille Vol II.pdf
Der Tonwille Vol I.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Re: Heinrich Schenker

Post by alfor »

I do in fact have Beethoven-Schenker op. 109 & 111. Original first editions with many pages of analytical text IN GERMAN ONLY! So I wonder how many pianophilians would really profit from these editions?!

If ten or more people are interested, I would be willing to post it.

See also:
http://www.schenkerdocumentsonline.org/ ... 01734.html

P.S. IMSLP has the Schenker Beethoven editions, but WITHOUT the analytical texts.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

My thanks to klaviersonic for posting the Schenker books. I was and still am delighted to have avoided taking the course on Schenker analysis at school. One of my composition professors had a student that got so confounded with Schenker that for months he had trouble setting down his ideas.At the same time, I'm glad to have a chance to peek back and see what I missed - without being forced to delve too deeply!
WCosand
Pianophiliac

Post by WCosand »

Dear Alfor
Thanks for all your work. I would be interested in the sonata texts.
klaviersonic

Post by klaviersonic »

Schenker's methods are fascinating and lead to a deeper sense of the overall architecture of a composition as well as it's underlying structural layers, though attempting to grasp the systematic method through his writing alone is a somewhat haphazard and arduous process. I think Salzer's Tonal Coherence and Counterpoint in Composition are the most excellent approaches to his viewpoint.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Saltzer! I remember working my way through Counterpoint in Composition and while the content is first rate, it's like they're bringing down the counterpoint rules on tablets from the sacred mountain. Still, the content works through the derivation from species counterpoint isn't really found elsewhere.
Last edited by fleubis on Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello Alfor,

me - (you need 8 more!)

regards,
tobyjj
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by soh choon wee »

Is this the Heinrich Schenker that edited for Universal Urtext Beethoven's 32??

I am interested.
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

soh choon wee wrote:Is this the Heinrich Schenker that edited for Universal Urtext Beethoven's 32??
Exactly! The scores are available (IMSLP), but not the analytical (and polemical!) texts he wrote for the last five sonatas.

Seven more German affine pianophilians and I will scan what I have (only op. 109 and 111).
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by soh choon wee »

May I hijack this thread to ask - some kind heart person from Pinaophilia offered this link (not sure which thread I got it)
http://archive.org/search.php?query=pia ... xts&page=2

and I got this Charles Halle - Practical Pianoforte School (1880) but this website has only book 3 part 2, book 4 part 1 and 2, and book 5 part 1 and 2.

Now I am very curious about book 1, 2 and book 3 part 1.

Also, there is this Rudolph Ganz - University Course of Music Study (1920) should be multiple volume (at least 7 grades) and the website admitted they do not have the complete set.

Oh, I wonder, does any resourceful members has the complete set of both?

Dear Mod, please move to the appropriate thread. Sorry, I promise never to hijack the thread again. Thank you.