Humour in music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
edvond
Music Scores: No

Humour in music

Post by edvond »

My inquiry is in two parts.
Years ago I heard a CD in a store, which was primarily Classical piano favorites like Für Elise, Rondo alla Turca, Rage over a Lost Penny, Moonlight Sonata, Mozart K. 545, Hummel Rondo, etc. I was barely listening to it until I heard the most extraordinary, funny piece. I was laughing out loud.
It was the most hilarious piano piece I have ever heard. It was definitely a Classical style, included an entire octave of successive acciaccaturas, and, from what I remember, some poly tonality = out of tune passages.
I have never been able to find out what it was! What a great encore it would make.

Does anyone have any ideas as to who composed it and what its title is?

That got me thinking of how many humorous piano pieces are out there—like the Shchedrin Humoresque, Sancan Music Box, Poulenc Valse Les Six. Any suggestions for musical jokes for piano?
sgambatiesque

Re: Humour in music

Post by sgambatiesque »

Are you thinking perhaps of Leonard/Leonid Czishyk's Improvisation on the Lockenhaus Encores CD, which has a few other musical jokes (not for piano) like the Kupkovic Souvenir? (Also known as Leonid Chizhik)

Aside from that collection, there's also a number of PDQ Bach piano pieces, and some pianistic jokes by Marc-Andre Hamelin such as the Ring-Tone Waltz.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,
Music Scores: Yes

Post by tobyjj »

Hello,

Or perhaps the Felix Arndt pieces - Desecration rags 1 & 2 - or the Bugs Bunny Rhapsody spoof - I may have a YouTube link somewhere, but it shouldbe easily searchable.
Or Victor Borge ?

regards,
tobyjj
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by soh choon wee »

Could someone also provide the scan??? That may be a nice thread.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello,

Well I think an inline search should provide the Felix Arndt pieces - I know I posted them on the syncopated thread.

I think 4Candles posted a link to the bugs bunny reference - if not, I'll dig it out.

regards,
tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hello,

I can also put a lot of Victor Borge footage up if any interest - but will probably have to do it through Mediafire due to size.

regards,
tobyjj
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

tobyjj wrote: I can also put a lot of Victor Borge footage up if any interest - but will probably have to do it through Mediafire due to size.
Do you have anything unique? There's a lot up on YouTube and other online video sites. As much as I adored him (and was lucky enough to see him live), he did repeat mostly the same sets for decades.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

Hmm,

I don't know - probably nothing unique, but that's hard to say in a vacuum.....

regards,
tobyjj
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

DUDLEY MOORE And the Same to You (Colonel Bogey theme in style of Beethoven).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

soh choon wee wrote:Could someone also provide the scan??? That may be a nice thread.
There are Arndt links elsewhere on the forum