Humour in music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Humour in music

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

I was extremely puzzled to see that this welcome and refreshing new forum thread had disappeared from where I normally browse. I wondered whether the moderators had had a serious sense of humour loss and had deleted the thread altogether. :o

I'm pleased to find it still exists, but I fear that some of the other members may not realise it has a new home - which would be a shame if they have anything to contribute. Is there a means of announcing such drastic moves ? This new location is a little obscure, perhaps - besides, many "serious" composers have had their little jokes, too.

Incidentally, I thought this was quite amusing -
can't remember the link but it is culled from You Tube, I think...
chopsticks.pdf
regards, tobyjj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

tobyjj wrote: can't remember the link but it is culled from You Tube, I think...
chopsticks.pdf
regards, tobyjj
It's Kim Kwang Min & Yiruma and someone has played it as a solo version
Chopsticks 1P4H [Kim Kwang Min & Yiruma].pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

Have chopsticks been used to eat all but the first four bars of this file? :-)
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

sgambatiesque wrote:That's a shame, I was going to post more sheet music, but it will get lost in the new place.
Not really. We were getting away from the sheet music into recordings and more general stuff so I felt it would be better in a more 'flexible' area. That should not stop you from uploading scores either here or in another Humour in Music thread in the Piano area.

Regards
Fred

PS I am happy to move it back should the consensus indicate it.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

tobyjj wrote:I'm pleased to find it still exists, but I fear that some of the other members may not realise it has a new home - which would be a shame if they have anything to contribute. Is there a means of announcing such drastic moves ? This new location is a little obscure, perhaps - besides, many "serious" composers have had their little jokes, too.
Not often used perhaps, but certainly not obscure. We set up and structured PP such that all of it would be useful and accessible. Rob, in particular, had a great input here. Perhaps I could point to the 'view unread messages' button at the top of the main screen - this is very useful to see what has been added to the entire board, not just one particular area.

Regards
Fred
fredbucket
Site Admin

Post by fredbucket »

tobyjj wrote:I tried uploading this 3 times and failed - I have a serious sense of humour failure now! This file is NOT a pdf. You have to change the file extension from "pdf" to "flv". I hope this is not infringing any moderators rules.
That's because flash files are not in the allowable uploads list. I have changed that - .flv files may now be uploaded with a maximum size of 15 mBytes.

Regards
Fred
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello,

Thanks to Sgambatiesque for identifying the file I posted, I now realise I posted the wrong file - I didn't think the Kim Kwang Min file was particularly amusing - just interesting.

The one I meant to post was this one - but even though Fred has changed the file filters to allow .flv files, my copy is marginally too big.
Here's the link instead. (Quite amusing from about 1:30 on).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3m7BZ5tzeg

Regards,
tobyjj
tobyjj
Pianomaniac

Post by tobyjj »

fredbucket wrote:That's because flash files are not in the allowable uploads list. I have changed that - .flv files may now be uploaded with a maximum size of 15 mBytes.

Regards
Fred
Yay! Way to go Fred - Thanks!

tobyjj
edvond
Music Scores: No

Post by edvond »

I think I am getting closer to finding the piece that was so hilarious. After reading a few postings, I thought that it could have been an improvisation—but by whom? Leslie Howard came to mind. When I checked on Youtube, there was Howard playing Petite caprice/Offenbach from Rossini’s Péchés de vieillesse. The humor and style is right. But it’s not the same piece I heard. Un petit train de plaisir is also pretty funny.
Does anyone know Rossini’s Péchés de vieillesse very well ? That hilarious piece has to be in there !
Suggestions?
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

fredbucket wrote:
sgambatiesque wrote:That's a shame, I was going to post more sheet music, but it will get lost in the new place.
Not really. We were getting away from the sheet music into recordings and more general stuff so I felt it would be better in a more 'flexible' area. That should not stop you from uploading scores either here or in another Humour in Music thread in the Piano area.

Regards
Fred

PS I am happy to move it back should the consensus indicate it.
I've given up posting away from the sheetmusic area as the threads die almost immediately. I won't post any more here.