More than 2 hands (but NOT 4) on any number of pianos

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Post Reply
paolor
Pianophiliac
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:57 am
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: More than 2 hands (but NOT 4) on any number of pianos

Post by paolor » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:24 pm

Mouchette wrote:
paolor wrote:It's real fun to play these pieces - one doesn't need to be inséparable, but certainly one shouldn't be intouchable...
Br, paolor
Excellent, dear Paolor, thanks a lot!
(But don't forget that vol. 1 and vol. 2 ARE inseparable... ;) )

M.
You are right, of course, and I didn't forget. - Very different selection here, but probably not less fun to play ( with good friends! )
Schultze Les 3 Inséparables Vol.2 6H.pdf
BW, paolor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Scriabinoff
Pianophiliac
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: More than 2 hands (but NOT 4) on any number of pianos

Post by Scriabinoff » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:24 am

Grainger Percy - Bach Toccata in F Arranged for 3 or any multiple of 3 pianos excerpt from Graingers Bach for Keyboard Team - Work.pdf
Grainger - Bach
Toccata in F ... Arranged for 3-or any multiple of 3 Pianos ... by Percy Aldridge Grainger. (Excerpt from Grainger's " Bach for Keyboard Team-Work ")

Note. Just returned from scanning this earlier today. I seached and searched online and cannot find this score (any edition including this 1940 Schirmer) for sale anywhere or any indication it is in print . I seached PP and found no hits for this either (only an old recording no longer available for download of a recital that apparently had this work in the program). This seems to have been available on IMSLP at one time but now seems to be blocked? :roll:

I also felt the 3N nature of the ensemble made it a better fit for this thread vs Grainger or Bach Hyphenated (if an administrator feels the file should be removed complete or just placed in a different thread, that is fine by me as well).

can be listened to here (with a multiple of 3 (six in this case))
http://youtu.be/GEvGGIUokoQ
Bach/Grainger - Toccata BWV 540 (Piano Six: Hamelin, Laplante, etc.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

phikfy
Pianophiliac
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:20 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: No

Re: More than 2 hands (but NOT 4) on any number of pianos

Post by phikfy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:14 am

Does anyone have the Rossini's Barber of Seville Fantasie for 6 hands by Diederich Krug? Badly looking for it. Thanks.

Best,
Koon

Jean-Séb
Pianomaniac
Posts: 922
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:30 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: More than 2 hands (but NOT 4) on any number of pianos

Post by Jean-Séb » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:01 am

For a 6-hand arrangement of the Entr'acte-Gavotte de Manon, by Anschütz
see viewtopic.php?p=27310#p27310

User avatar
fredbucket
Site Admin
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: More than 2 hands (but NOT 4) on any number of pianos

Post by fredbucket » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:21 am

I'm after a piece of music by Johann Peter Pixis. It is his arrangement of Meyerbeer's Choral des Huguenots for two pianos, eight hands. Of particular interest to me is that appears to be written around 1848 specifically for an eight octave (F to f) piano built by J.H.Pape.

Any information (and a score!) would be most gratefully received.

Bucketistically yours,

Regards
Fred

User avatar
fredbucket
Site Admin
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: More than 2 hands (but NOT 4) on any number of pianos

Post by fredbucket » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:17 am

As a follow-up to my last post, is anyone aware of a transcription of the Overture to the Magic Flute (composer unnecessary) for multiple players / pianos written on or around 1840 or so?

Regards
Fred

Jim Faston
Pianomasochist
Posts: 1006
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:38 am
Music Scores: Yes

Re: More than 2 hands (but NOT 4) on any number of pianos

Post by Jim Faston » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:33 am

fredbucket wrote:As a follow-up to my last post, is anyone aware of a transcription of the Overture to the Magic Flute (composer unnecessary) for multiple players / pianos written on or around 1840 or so?

Regards
Fred
A quick look in Worldcat shows an 8 hand version by Franz Xaver Chwatal (1808-1879) published by Litolff (no date given) and held at 5 US libraries. This is included in a collection of his arrangements "Ouvertures arrangées pour 2 pianos à 8 mains" which is held at the University of Sidney Library. His 2p/8h arrangements of the overtures to Don Giovanni, Egmont and Fidelio are on IMSLP.

Jean-Séb
Pianomaniac
Posts: 922
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:30 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: More than 2 hands (but NOT 4) on any number of pianos

Post by Jean-Séb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:34 am

fredbucket wrote:I'm after a piece of music by Johann Peter Pixis. It is his arrangement of Meyerbeer's Choral des Huguenots for two pianos, eight hands. Of particular interest to me is that appears to be written around 1848 specifically for an eight octave (F to f) piano built by J.H.Pape.
Any information (and a score!) would be most gratefully received.
You may be interested by this article from Le Ménestrel, 1844, about those pianos by Pape and the concert where Pixis, WOlf, Alkan and Cavallo have played together an arrangement of the Choral des Huguenots (see bottom of page 2). It is not said there that the arrangement was by Pixis though.
Ménestrel 1844 Pape - Pixis.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
fredbucket
Site Admin
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: More than 2 hands (but NOT 4) on any number of pianos

Post by fredbucket » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:37 am

Jean-Séb wrote:
fredbucket wrote:I'm after a piece of music by Johann Peter Pixis. It is his arrangement of Meyerbeer's Choral des Huguenots for two pianos, eight hands. Of particular interest to me is that appears to be written around 1848 specifically for an eight octave (F to f) piano built by J.H.Pape.
Any information (and a score!) would be most gratefully received.
You may be interested by this article from Le Ménestrel, 1844, about those pianos by Pape and the concert where Pixis, WOlf, Alkan and Cavallo have played together an arrangement of the Choral des Huguenots (see bottom of page 2). It is not said there that the arrangement was by Pixis though.
Thanks for that JS, I actually was looking at the same Le Menestral, but from 24th March, where apparently the same pianists (+ a couple of others) not only did the Meyerbeer but also the Mozart, hence my query.
Le Ménestrel 24 mars 1844.pdf
Correct me if I'm wrong (my French is nowhere as good as it used to be, and that wasn't very good at all...) but it appears that the 24th March was associated with a large exhibition of a number of manufacturers (Pape, Erard, Pleyel, Herz), and there is also mention of Liszt and Thalberg being there as well.

Your article implies that the Mozart was 3P12H on three 8 octave pianos, and also that Alkan gave a solo recital on the same piano.

Regards
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jean-Séb
Pianomaniac
Posts: 922
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:30 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: More than 2 hands (but NOT 4) on any number of pianos

Post by Jean-Séb » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:55 pm

fredbucket wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong (my French is nowhere as good as it used to be, and that wasn't very good at all...) but it appears that the 24th March was associated with a large exhibition of a number of manufacturers (Pape, Erard, Pleyel, Herz)
It was not a special exhibition, but just the normal show-rooms that Pape, Erard, Pleyel and Herz had permanently in Paris and which served as concert halls. They were usually named salon or salle + the manufacturer name : salons Pape, salle Erard, salle Pleyel, salle Herz.
fredbucket wrote:and there is also mention of Liszt and Thalberg being there as well.
Yes, and Doehler as well.
fredbucket wrote:Your article implies that the Mozart was 3P12H on three 8 octave pianos,
Yes, played by six gracious pianist ladies dressed in white, accompanied by an other bunch of six female page-turners in white !
fredbucket wrote:and also that Alkan gave a solo recital on the same piano.
Correct.

Post Reply