Beethoven Piano Sonatas (edited by Artur Schnabel)

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Dannen
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Beethoven Piano Sonatas (edited by Artur Schnabel)

Post by Dannen »

I highly recommend Andras Schiff's astounding lectures on the 32 Beethoven piano sonatas, which can be listened to here:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/p ... 67,00.html

Schiff dispels several myths about the sonatas, including the one about Beethoven's metronome being fast. He has some rather critical things to say about Czerny as well.
quercus
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by quercus »

Thanks for the link to the Schiff lectures - great stuff!

- Bill
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

My apologies about the lack of progress in scanning more sonatas, but I've run into a small problem. I finally upgraded my computer to Windows 7 64 bit. The side effect was that my Canon scanner does not have a driver for Win7-64bit - apparently Canon think the scanner is too old to worry about. So I need a new scanner, and I decided to buy a Mustek USB2400Pro A3 scanner, which I can get here in Australia for $AUS599. I can also buy one through Amazon for $AUS275 including delivery.

I'm not sure which deal to take. Any suggestions? :)

Regards
Confused
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Hi fred, I had the same problem when I changed computers and went 64-bit, my trusty old Canon scanner couldn't be upgraded either, no drivers available for my old model, so I too had to buy another scanner, not easy finding one that is 64-bit compatible, however I did find one, I can't say I prefer it to the Canon in ease of operation but at least it works. The scanner is an Epson Perfection V30.
I don't know of any other A4 scanners 64-bit compatible but would be gladly informed of any.
regards
Brian
didi

Post by didi »

fredbucket wrote:My apologies about the lack of progress in scanning more sonatas, but I've run into a small problem. I finally upgraded my computer to Windows 7 64 bit. The side effect was that my Canon scanner does not have a driver for Win7-64bit - apparently Canon think the scanner is too old to worry about. So I need a new scanner, and I decided to buy a Mustek USB2400Pro A3 scanner, which I can get here in Australia for $AUS599. I can also buy one through Amazon for $AUS275 including delivery.

I'm not sure which deal to take. Any suggestions? :)

Regards
Confused

Hi Fred

ever tried VM Virtualbox?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/serve ... index.html
It allows you emulate a large amount of operating systems,
such a Linux. Windows .....
It's told to support also an USB 2.0 port driver within the extention pack.

So basically you could emulate Window 32bit operating system under your Windows 64 bit operating system
and run your scanner within the emulation.

It's not so easy to get all functions running , but it is definitly worth trying.
Within my emulated PC I can try a lot of software, without the danger
to spoil my main operating system and PC.
Furtheron any possible virus or trojaner ... is limited to the virtuel PC,
it can not attack the main PC.

Why not to give the software a try?
It is TOTALLY free.

BR // Didi
remy
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by remy »

Thanks very much for the info, Didi.

jeremy
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

didi wrote:ever tried VM Virtualbox?
No, I haven't and thanks for the info. If my new scanner doesn't work, I might try it :)

Regards
Fred
fredbucket
Site Admin

Post by fredbucket »

My new scanner arrived last week (for those who were wondering which deal I would take the answer should be self-evident) and as a result having worked out the vagaries and vicissitudes of an A3 scanner, (new driver software etc) I am now in a position to upload the Sonata in C Major, Op.2 No3 as edited by Schnabel.
beethoven - op. 2 no 3 sonata in c major (ed. schnabel).pdf
Regards
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredbucket
Site Admin

Post by fredbucket »

And now for Beethoven's second longest piano sonata - the op 7 in e flat. A favourite of mine inasmuch as I played it many years ago for my ATCL. My fingers aren't up to it these days, unfortunately :cry:
beethoven - op. 7 sonata in e flat major (ed. schnabel).pdf
Regards
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pianojay

Post by pianojay »

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL!