Salon music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
The Piano Man
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano and Organ
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Salon music

Post by The Piano Man »

Just posted a new topic in the Keyboard Discussion regarding this, but figured it belongs here instead.

I've amassed a collection of about 1,200 pieces for pianoforte and voice (about half and half) dating mainly from 1830-1880, and most are contained in those popular bound volumes you can find online. I've been cataloguing the music for the past several months, but still have about 8 or so volumes I recent purchased left to catalogue. I will just post the Excel spreadsheet I've made for this for anyone to look through. I figured this would be easier than just posting duplicates of anything that has already been posted before.

If you see anything that interests you, just let me know, and I can post the file for it. Any advice on scanning music and where to store so many files is also greatly appreciated.

Spreadsheet:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&i ... &disp=safe
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

The Piano Man wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:43 pm

Spreadsheet:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&i ... &disp=safe
The link has been modified by your email, so it's a private link to you rather than a public Google doc link.
The Piano Man
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano and Organ

Post by The Piano Man »

Oh sorry! This one works now in Google Docs:

north
Participant

Post by north »

Hi

i'm looking after following sheet music
Richard Tourbié: Im Rosenduft - Idylle, Op. 71
Theodor Oesten: In der Blumengrotte op. 225
Max Eichler: Der erste Blumenstrauss op. 132

Regards
Christer
FW190
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by FW190 »

Have fun!
Tourbie,R.-.op.071.-.Im-Rosenduft-Idylle-(pno-Hansen-Edition).pdf
Oesten,T.-.op.225.-.I-Blomstergrotten-(2H-Schytte-Hansen-Edition).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In Bach we trust.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

The Piano Man wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:43 pm . Any advice on scanning music and where to store so many files is also greatly appreciated.
I have upwards of 21000 scores as PDF (plus some MIDI) which takes up 33GB. That would fit on a USB stick (or even the micro-SD card in my phone), but I also have them backed up on DropBox and OneDrive, which means they're very quickly searchable via the indexing of those services, and shareable.

For scanning I use the free "Not Another PDF Scanner v2" software www.naps2.com which includes OCR capabilities in many languages. That is quite useful if you have a lot of prefatory text in other languages. With foreign text, particularly that in Cyrillic/Armenian etc, I usually Google translate the table of contents and paste that into the PDF as a comments/text box which means that subsequent searches will locate material.
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac

Post by Hobbypianist »

well, that depends on how far you trust these sites ...I personally would never make myself dependent on other servers or services, if something is down or switched off, you will no longer have access. I have all my ~114.000 pdfs (421 GB) mirrored on 3 external harddrives (WD), each has a cap. of 4TB. Approx. every 3..4 years I replace the oldest one with a new one, so it's unlikely that all 3 will break down at the same time.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

Hobbypianist wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:07 am well, that depends on how far you trust these sites ...I personally would never make myself dependent on other servers or services, if something is down or switched off, you will no longer have access. I have all my ~114.000 pdfs (421 GB) mirrored on 3 external harddrives (WD), each has a cap. of 4TB. Approx. every 3..4 years I replace the oldest one with a new one, so it's unlikely that all 3 will break down at the same time.
DropBox and OneDrive etc mirror my local server, so there's no way that I'm ever denied access to my files.

THe main thing is to have files backed up on different media and in different locations per the 3-2-1 backup rule. I used to put some drives in a shoebox and leave it with a friend or relative. Cloud service data-centres now offer a higher rate of data preservation than any local disk or drive is rated for. This is why government, health and scientific research agencies use them. While a few hundred GB is now a relatively small amount of storage it's easy to have multiple local copies BUT it's important that some drives/disks are stored elsewhere as multiple copies in one house are all quickly lost in the event of a fire, theft or electromagnetic shock. I've worked with too many researchers who rely on local backup and have lost years of expensive work (one lost over $200K of data :o ).

One other benefit that I alluded to is that it's now faster to search content in cloud copies than in local copies. I can do full text search of my DropBox and OneDrive files from my phone about 5-10 times faster than on a local SSD.
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac

Post by Hobbypianist »

ok, no bad arguments, especially regarding the quick search. The availability of such services has certainly increased in recent years, but that's a general attitude of mine, I basically don't want others to have control over my things.
I have been storing data on external hd since 2004 (in the past temporarily even with 5 mirror drives) and it worked fine so far. Correct, with respect to a possible fire or theft one has to keep them in different places.
maybe I can imagine these services for sheet music one day, but certainly never ever for any personal data.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

Emanuel de BEAUPUIS (1860-1913)

Italian pianist who spent the last 20+ years of his life working in Australia as a concert artist, composer and educator. He was a teacher of Australian composer Roy AGNEW.

A number of his works are on IMSLP: https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Beaupuis,_Emanuel_de
which mainly appear to be drawn from scans in the Australian National Library which has even more pieces (most of them are freely downloadable) https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Search/Hom ... hatimean=1

I've already posted links to two of his Gounod transcriptions elsewhere on Pianophilia.

According to Larry Sitsky's Australian Music of the Twentieth Century:
Beaupuis was obviously a brilliant concert pianist, playing major works by Liszt and Chopin. In a rave review from the Melbourne Argus,we learn that he played the Beethoven Waldstein Sonata as well as the Liszt-Wagner Tannhaeuser Overture.

The publishers range from Glasgow, Melbourne, Milan, and Sydney. .. Beaupuis ... is clearly inclined to write quasi-salon music, with an eye on the market. However, the catch is that technically many of his pieces would have been beyond the range of the amateurs who were the main target in the marketing.
I think when we learn the full story about this man, he may well emerge as a kind of Gottschalk figure on the Australian scene. At this stage, we don't even know whether he wrote exclusively for the piano or not, or whether there are more musically ambitious compositions.
Very few of the pieces in the NLA have an opus number, such as the Op.34 Prelude, hinting at dozens of further works to be discovered, some of which are named (sans opus number) on the covers of the works referenced above.

The endpieces of some of his works show that he was employed by Palings as an editor of many standard piano editions.
_biography_crop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.