Salon music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Salon music

Post by Jean-Séb »

ctejada wrote:Hello all, can't begin to say how much I love this website and it's users' contributions. Here's my first. Found at an estate sale. Enjoy
Thank you Ctejada for this waltz. The composer's name is probably "Louis Lefèbvre" (pronounced as Lefèvre), not to be confused with Louis-Alfred Lefébure-Wély.
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

Members are presumably aware of this digitized collection from the University of Maine.

Many of these pieces would be on IMSLP, but there are some that aren't and it may be a useful resource for those interested in works of a salon nature.

4c
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

Eine kleine Nachtmusik!
Hope Nocturnette.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Thank you for giving us some Hope.
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by Hobbypianist »

4candles wrote:Members are presumably aware of this digitized collection from the University of Maine.

Many of these pieces would be on IMSLP, but there are some that aren't and it may be a useful resource for those interested in works of a salon nature.

4c
Thanks a lot for this great link! A nice collection. I've tried to pick a bit more challenging pieces. You can find them here, I'm going to add them (approx. 100 pieces) step-by-step. (The greyscale version is a kind of black-white version for better readability.) HP
kroket
Pianophiliac

Post by kroket »

Hobbypianist wrote:
Thanks a lot for this great link! A nice collection. I've tried to pick a bit more challenging pieces. You can find them here, I'm going to add them (approx. 100 pieces) step-by-step. (The greyscale version is a kind of black-white version for better readability.) HP
That's a nice collection you've assembled, Hobbypianist, thank you! I have a beginners question about scanning. How do you manage to turn a scan with a dark/grey background to a white background? Obviously with 'greyscale'. But is this a function in a scanning device or is it software with which you can improve the scans? Thank you.
Greetings, kroket
Hobbypianist
Pianophiliac

Post by Hobbypianist »

Hi kroket, I use a batch-script with some filter functions in Adobe Photoshop CS5:
- change pic size to approx. 1800 dpi
- gamma value correction
- more contrast
- again gamma and exposure value correction
- Shadow/Highlight function
- Sharpening function
- reduce pic size
- save

Indeed, unfortunately most of the images are dark grey with low resolution, so a real monochrome conversion (bitmap) is not possible, one would lose too many details hence they're still in greyscale. Works more or less satisfying for many of their scans. However for some it didn't work well, so if I find some time I'm going to try different settings. HP
kroket
Pianophiliac

Post by kroket »

Hobbypianist wrote:Hi kroket, I use a batch-script with some filter functions in Adobe Photoshop CS5:
- HP
Thank you, Hobbypianist, for your explanation.
Greetings, kroket
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

Hobbypianist wrote:
You're welcome Hobbypianist. There were a few pieces by Joseph Ascher, Helen Hopekirk and one by Litolff which piqued my interest too, among others.
4c
musiclife217
Pianomaniac

Post by musiclife217 »

Hobbypianist wrote:
4candles wrote:Members are presumably aware of this digitized collection from the University of Maine.

4c
Wow! Thank you very much! Your efforts are greatly appreciated.