Salon music

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Salon music

Post by Jean-Séb »

Thank you, Phillip. In spite of what Wikipedia says, I doubt very much that Leonard Gautier, if he really existed, was French. His first successful works are already mentionned as early as 1884 and his publications are only made through different British editors. It would be very difficult for a young French man to have tha early success in England without being even known in France. I suspect it is a penname and it might actually designate several different anonymous composers, as Augener often did at that time.
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Real or not, here's a scan of his most famous work, Le Secret (Intermezzo Pizzicato N. 276) and a link to a YouTube recording of same.
Gauthier_Le Secret (Intermezzo Pizzicato No.276).pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1u2BIy-FRI
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thanks for this little gem, Jim. I think I'll have some cotton candy to go with it.
Phillip210
Pianophiliac

Post by Phillip210 »

Jean-Séb wrote:Thank you, Phillip. In spite of what Wikipedia says, I doubt very much that Leonard Gautier, if he really existed, was French. His first successful works are already mentionned as early as 1884 and his publications are only made through different British editors. It would be very difficult for a young French man to have tha early success in England without being even known in France. I suspect it is a penname and it might actually designate several different anonymous composers, as Augener often did at that time.
That's an interesting point. I would be interested to know of examples of a pseudonym being used by more than one composer. It sounds perfectly possible! I don't think I have so far come accross any.
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

What with composers having several different pseudonyms and even more
than one composer using a common pseudonym, one wonders if Pianophilia
should allow similar practices with its users' names! :-)
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

Timtin wrote:What with composers having several different pseudonyms and even more
than one composer using a common pseudonym, one wonders if Pianophilia
should allow similar practices with its users' names! :-)
Don't worry Timtin, your real pseudonym , alfor, is safe with me I won't tell a soul...whoops I just have!!!
signed anonymously
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

Phillip210 wrote:
Jean-Séb wrote:Thank you, Phillip. In spite of what Wikipedia says, I doubt very much that Leonard Gautier, if he really existed, was French. His first successful works are already mentionned as early as 1884 and his publications are only made through different British editors. It would be very difficult for a young French man to have tha early success in England without being even known in France. I suspect it is a penname and it might actually designate several different anonymous composers, as Augener often did at that time.
That's an interesting point. I would be interested to know of examples of a pseudonym being used by more than one composer. It sounds perfectly possible! I don't think I have so far come accross any.
I read something like that about Cramer :
See the article in Fetis :
http://www.archive.org/stream/biographi ... 7/mode/1up
and the note in IMSLP :
http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Cramer,_Henri/Arranger
FW190
Pianomaniac

Post by FW190 »

Waldemar Malmene (1836-1906)
La Zingara Polonaise de Concert
Published by Walter Luhn, St. Louis, 1898.
Malmene,W.-.La-Zingara-Polonnaise-de-Concert-(pno-Luhn-Edition-1898).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In Bach we trust.
Phillip210
Pianophiliac

Post by Phillip210 »

Jean-Séb wrote:
Phillip210 wrote:
I read something like that about Cramer :
See the article in Fetis :
http://www.archive.org/stream/biographi ... 7/mode/1up
and the note in IMSLP :
http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Cramer,_Henri/Arranger
Thank you - that's really interesting!
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »