The Romantic Piano Concerto Thread

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Op. XXXIX

Re: The Romantic Piano Concerto Thread

Post by Op. XXXIX »

Scharwenka790 wrote: Here is the Widor 2nd concerto. The original score was an absolutely foul copy which was very brown and crumbly (does anyone know why French music was printed on such incredibly poor paper?), hence the scan is not as 'clean' as I would like. It's also one of those annoying '1 piano' scores with no orchestral reduction; nobody else but the French still did this in 1905!
Many thanks, Mike! The scan is more than adequate and very much appreciated. I'm familiar with Widor's organ symphonies, so I'm looking forward to reading through this. A casual glance shows that Widor could certainly write idiomatically for the piano.

Cheers...
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Post by Jean-Séb »

Scharwenka790 wrote:The original score was an absolutely foul copy which was very brown and crumbly (does anyone know why French music was printed on such incredibly poor paper?)
Bad technical choice, alas, unforeseen. This chemical paper looked good at the time it was made, but a later reaction of the chemicals inside broke the hydrogen bonds with years and turned the paper into this brown and crumbly matter. A pity.
The same thing happened at the same time for the painters whose new chemical pigments turned badly after years, contrary to the good natural old pigments of the old Dutch painters.
Scharwenka790 wrote:It's also one of those annoying '1 piano' scores with no orchestral reduction; nobody else but the French still did this in 1905!
Where is the problem? The French had ALSO the version with the orchestral reduction, as shown in the last line of the proposed versions on the front page (for 10 francs). Manage to find only the latter!

Jean-Séb
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.

Post by lutoslawski »

My old thread since older pianophilia has been revived :)
Looking some time to scan the herz 6th concerto, which is right now growing dust.

Tony
iano

Post by iano »

Scharwenka790 wrote:Judging by comments in the 'Polish composers' thread it seems there would be an interest in an update on the Hyperion Romantic Piano Concerto series...

Mike
Many thanks for keeping this astonishing series alive, Mike. Some wonderful music you've helped to bring back to life. I'm sure there's more buried treasure out there ;)

Ian
GJF323

Post by GJF323 »

Scharwenka790 wrote:Anyway, we've been quite busy lately, I don't think there's ever been a time when so many projects are 'in the can' or booked in the recording schedule. Here's where we are at:
Vol.49 - Stenhammar concertos 1 & 2, (Seta Tanyel) (Nov. '09 release) First time both concertos have been coupled together, it's turned out really well.
Vol.50 - Tchaikovsky 3 concertos and Concert Fantasy, (Stephen Hough) (April '10) A blockbuster for the 50th, but I suppose too popular for you lot!
Vol.51 - Taubert concertos 1 & 2; Rosenhain concerto, (Howard Shelley) (Aug. '10)
Vol.52 - J. Wieniawski & Goetz concertos, (Hamish Milne) (Nov. '10)
Vol.53 - Reger Concerto; Strauss Burleske, (Marc-André Hamelin) (2011)
Vol.54 - Widor Concertos, (Markus Becker)
Vol.55 - English repertiore, being finalised this week I hope. (Martin Roscoe)
Vol.56 - Pixis Concerto plus something else (Howard Shelley)
Vol.57 - Wiklund Concertos (Martin Sturfalt)
Lots of good stuff here; will definitely be awaiting these volumes. I particularly love Stenhammar and Goetz, and even if they have already been done won't mind buying those volumes.
player

Post by player »

Scharwenka790 wrote: Vol.49 - Stenhammar concertos 1 & 2, (Seta Tanyel) (Nov. '09 release) First time both concertos have been coupled together, it's turned out really well.
Vol.50 - Tchaikovsky 3 concertos and Concert Fantasy, (Stephen Hough) (April '10) A blockbuster for the 50th, but I suppose too popular for you lot!
Vol.51 - Taubert concertos 1 & 2; Rosenhain concerto, (Howard Shelley) (Aug. '10)
Vol.55 - English repertiore, being finalised this week I hope. (Martin Roscoe)
Vol.56 - Pixis Concerto plus something else (Howard Shelley)
Vol.57 - Wiklund Concertos (Martin Sturfalt)

Mike
Hey Mike,
What a great list. OK, several are already on CD but there are some cool pieces here. I will snap up most of them (well, probably all) but especially the Wiklund which are beautiful pieces (love the second movement of the second). The Pixis and companion will be a treat as will the Taubert/Rosenhaim disc. Keenly looking forward to what English repertoire you unearth as well.
Now all I have to decide is do I need another Tschaikovski??? Stephen will do a grand job but...

Thanks,
Rob
Scharwenka790

Cowen

Post by Scharwenka790 »

Does this include Frederick Cowen (born Kingston, Jamaica 29th January 1852) ?!
Cowen Concertstuck.PDF
Moderator Edit:
Moved from Composers from the Caribbean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Re: Composers from the Caribbean

Post by thalbergmad »

Scharwenka790 wrote:Does this include Frederick Cowen (born Kingston, Jamaica 29th January 1852) ?!
Cowen Concertstuck.PDF
Damned good show Sir.

My paper copy looked like it had been used to wrap chips.

I believe this gentleman also wrote a concerto, but my efforts in locating the manuscript has been fruitless. Have you any knowledge???

Luv

Thal
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Re: Composers from the Caribbean

Post by fredbucket »

Scharwenka790 wrote:Does this include Frederick Cowen (born Kingston, Jamaica 29th January 1852). Sorry, I know this should really go in the Romantic Piano concerto thread, I just couldn't resist. Mods may move it if they wish!
From Grove:
Cowen, Sir Frederic Hymen [Hymen Frederick] - (b Kingston, Jamaica, 29 Jan 1852; d London, 6 Oct 1935). English pianist, conductor and composer. He was brought to England in 1856.

It notes "As a composer Cowen entertained aspirations somewhat beyond the capacity of his musical gifts."

I think we can assume his place of birth had no influence on his music.

Regards
Fred
4candles
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, (drums)

Post by 4candles »

Scharwenka790 wrote: Vol.51 - Taubert concertos 1 & 2; Rosenhain concerto, (Howard Shelley) (Aug. '10)
I'm particularly looking forward to this selection - I have been eagerly awaiting a recording of the Widor for years (if his chamber music and symphonies for organ and orchestra are anything to go by, these will be a treat). I'm also interested in the Wieniawski, if for no other reason than the fact that he studied piano with Alkan! The MAH release will, as usual, be another valuable addition to the series too.

Roll on the next couple of years!