Music by Australian Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Music by Australian Composers

Post by liveforpiano »

Thank you for the information on the George F. Boyle disc.
I have had the Ballade and the Sonata scores for years, but though I have played through them have not heard a professional performance. I have bought, and downloaded this disc, and tomorrow (as it is 12.30 AM here) I shall enjoy listening to it.

Peter. (liveforpiano)
Scriabinoff
Pianomaniac

Post by Scriabinoff »

sgambatiesque wrote:Roy Agnew (well represented on the Cislowska discs) has numerous pieces available online in PDF form through the National Library of Australia site.

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Search/Home ... ine&page=1

Other composers' works may be found by simple adjustment to the search parameters. Searching on Hutchens located his much-simplified transcription of the Beethoven Pastoral Symphony per the Stokowski/Disney Fantasia http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/doview/nla.mus-vn83308-p
so i know this post is quite old, but i just wanted to share this little 'gem' i came across yesterday evening, ABC has two of Agnew's works available to listen from it's 'archives' for free online via the official site

http://www.abc.net.au/classic/australia ... 537844.htm
note- i had issues with MS windows media player handling this but I have the free version of 'real player' and it played just fine on that.
really nice to hear this (previously unknown to me recording) of Agnew himself in 1943 perform his Sonata Fantasie and to be able to follow along in the score was some of the better 10 minutes or so of music listening i'd done in weeks. Nice 'program notes' in the link too.

For those interested you can link to the other Agnew work (Breaking of the Drought for Orchestra and Voice) which is quite nice too (maybe needs more piano :lol: )
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

News of Carl Vine's new piano concerto to be premiered in Sydney this month with Piers Lane, with the London premiere in October.

EDIT: The link is currently for streaming, but should be available as a podcast download soon.
Last edited by sgambatiesque on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac

Post by liveforpiano »

Thank you very much for the information on Carl Vines new Piano Concerto.
I have recordings of all of his Piano Music and The first Piano Concerto.
Strange that the new work is being premiered by Piers Lane. Michael Kieran Harvey has premiered
and recorded all his other piano music and the first concerto, as far as I can tell.
This is a composer that deserves a lot more attention. I love his music.

Peter.
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

liveforpiano wrote: Strange that the new work is being premiered by Piers Lane. Michael Kieran Harvey has premiered
and recorded all his other piano music and the first concerto, as far as I can tell.
Piers Lane is the dedicatee for this concerto as it was commissioned for him by the SSO (who have never worked with Lane) and the LPO.

While I also associate Vine's piano music with MK Harvey, apparently the first sonata (or concerto?) was written for Roger Woodward.
jre58591

Post by jre58591 »

sgambatiesque wrote:News of Carl Vine's new piano concerto to be premiered in Sydney this month with Piers Lane, with the London premiere in October.

EDIT: The link is currently for streaming, but should be available as a podcast download soon.
Any idea if this will be broadcasted? I'd like to hear it for myself.
sgambatiesque wrote:While I also associate Vine's piano music with MK Harvey, apparently the first sonata (or concerto?) was written for Roger Woodward.
The first sonata was dedicated to Michael Kieran Harvey, as was the second (it says at the top of the scores). The piano concerto has no dedication specified in the score, but the program notes say that it was written with Harvey in mind. Perhaps one of Vine's smaller works is dedicated to Woodward? I have never associated Woodward with Vine, personally.
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

jre58591 wrote:
sgambatiesque wrote:While I also associate Vine's piano music with MK Harvey, apparently the first sonata (or concerto?) was written for Roger Woodward.
The first sonata was dedicated to Michael Kieran Harvey, as was the second (it says at the top of the scores).
Carl Vine clearly says a few minutes into this broadcast "no one remembers I actually wrote it [the first sonata] for Roger Woodward. It was a commission from Sydney Dance Company and Roger was going to play the first season." When Woodward pulled out, MKH was next in line.
Last edited by sgambatiesque on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
sgambatiesque

Post by sgambatiesque »

jre58591 wrote: Any idea if this will be broadcasted? I'd like to hear it for myself.
I've found no reference to the ABC broadcasting the piece. It's possible that the co-commissioning has complicated the rights.
There is a live broadcast on ABC Classic FM within a few hours (modulo your timezone) of Australian piano music including Carl Vine, Percy Grainger, Rob Davidson, Matthew Hindson and Eugene Goossens http://www.abc.net.au/classic/content/2 ... 546703.htm

The end of the interview mentions that Vine has also written a Piano Quintet to be premiered by Bernadette Harvey and the Shanghai quartet at the Tucson Winter Chamber Music Festival on 24 March 2013.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Alternative scan (non-alfor!):
Agnew Dance of the wild men.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Arthur Benjamin (1893-1960) - Austraian composer, pianist, conductor and teacher.

I do not think this has been posted here before....and definitely not on IMSLP.

Benjamin - Elegiac mazurka
Benjamin A - Elegiac Mazurka.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.