Music by Australian Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Op. XXXIX

Re: Music by Australian Composers

Post by Op. XXXIX »

rob wrote:Oooooooerrrr - I've never heard of ANY of 'em. And if any had made any impact outside of Oz then I would certainly have heard of 'em. Talk about hype!!!
Wikipedia lists a whole bunch of other composers, rather bewildering I must say. Of the 'moderns', I did recognize Alfred Hill and Malcolm Williamson.

Anyone, btw, read Williamson's bio?
davida march
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by davida march »

iano wrote:
FW190 wrote:Hi,
the full text of a 1988 book on Australian composers by John Jenkins can be read at the NMA archive:
http://www.rainerlinz.net/NMA/22CAC/TOC.html

Regards,

Leo
I've just been having a look at this, as a result of a Facebook brouhaha quite unrelated to PP. Here's the beginning of the preface:

"The 22 composers represented in this book, while in no sense constituting a school or movement, belong to a generation which has emerged since the 1960s and, collectively, they have been connected with most of the major breakthroughs in New Music that have taken place in this country for the past two decades. Within this period, their work has arguably been amongst the most exciting, and certainly amongst the most innovative, within Australian music as a whole."

...and the end:

"Most of the composers in this book are still in their 20s, 30s and early 40s; and their vigorous experimental approach, intellectual liveliness and commitment to innovation should ensure they continue to help set the agenda for Australian music for decades to come."

And yet, out of the 22 composers mentioned (in 1988), I would say that perhaps three of them are heard at all now, and pretty infrequently at that. I can't say I have even heard of most of them.

"Breakthroughs"? "Innovative"? "Experimental"? "Commitment to innovation"? "Agenda"?

I just had to remind myself by reading some of this bumf that I wasn't dreaming during the 80s: we really were assailed by such vacuous nonsense. And now we've moved on. I do feel sorry for some of the bewildered 'innovators' who have been left behind, couldn't or wouldn't adapt, but I can't feel very sorry that we don't hear much of their music any more.
What was that subject where we tried to play graphic notation and learnt to split tapes in that minuscule room near the library?
It was very innovative and experimental - I think I tried it once or twice.
I have to say that it completely ruined any aspirations of composing - which dear Iano, you probably don't realize -but I spent most of my school days improvising. I was told-off for not sticking to 4/4 by a certain lecturer in keyboard musicianship. So much for 80s innovation. No wonder I spent it at nightclubs: at least the innovative and experimental stuff there was worth a second go...I'll leave the rest to the imagination.
love The Caterpillar
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.
Music Scores: Yes

Post by fredbucket »

fhimpsl wrote:Hello All, I recently uncovered a score by Australian-born composer George F. Boyle (1886-1948); his Serenade from "Four Compositions For PIano."
From Grove:

Boyle, George Frederick

(b Sydney, 29 June 1886; d Philadelphia, 20 June 1948). Australian-American pianist, composer and teacher. He was first taught the piano by his mother and then, from 1901, by Sydney Moss. In the same year he made a concert tour of more than 280 towns and cities in Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand; further tours followed. From 1905 to 1910 he studied in Berlin with Busoni. During these years of intensive study he performed extensively throughout Europe and conducted orchestras in the UK. After he settled in the USA in 1910, such notable pianists as Mark Hambourg, Ernest Hutcheson and Backhaus continued to play his compositions in Europe. From 1910 until his death Boyle performed, taught and composed in America. He held positions at three major American conservatories: the Peabody Conservatory of Music in Baltimore, as head of the piano department (1910–22), the Curtis Institute (1922–4) and the Institute of Musical Art, soon renamed the Juilliard School of Music (1922–40). In addition, he was on the faculty of Chestnut Hill College (1944–8) and was coordinator of the Boyle Piano Studios in Philadelphia from 1926 until his death in 1948.

Boyle composed in a late Romantic style. The works of his early period (1902–10) are short, small-scale pieces, characterized by simple harmonies, rhythms and melodies. Many of them are dances in binary, ternary or rondo forms. The 1909 Ballade for piano anticipated his middle period (1910–22), in which forms become larger, and rhythms and harmonies more daring in the manner of Debussy and Ravel or the later Rachmaninoff. Rich, often non-functional harmony and striking pianistic effects such as tremolos, long trills, alternating octaves and fast repeated chords characterize such works as the Piano Concerto (1912), the Piano Sonata (1921) and the Habanera for piano. In Boyle's final period (1922–48), he returned to smaller forms, but now free-composed and with the advanced harmonies, chromatic melodies and more complex rhythms of the middle period compositions. He wrote many pedagogical pieces during these later years.

WORKS
Pf: Ballade, 1909; Nocturne (London, 1910); Morning: a Sketch for Pf (New York, 1911); 3 pièces (1911): 1 La prima ballerina, 2 In tempo di mazurka, 3 La gondola; Pf Sonata, B, 1915; Habanera (1919); Caprice, 1928; Obsession, 1928; Suite, 2 pf, 1931–2; numerous other pf pieces

Regards
Fred
iano

Post by iano »

davida march wrote: What was that subject where we tried to play graphic notation and learnt to split tapes in that minuscule room near the library?
Um, that was Ferneyography. I think we were splicing, not splitting, but I wouldn't want to splice hairs
It was very innovative and experimental - I think I tried it once or twice.
I remember, those were the days...
I have to say that it completely ruined any aspirations of composing - which dear Iano, you probably don't realize -but I spent most of my school days improvising. I was told-off for not sticking to 4/4 by a certain lecturer in keyboard musicianship.
Good advice
So much for 80s innovation. No wonder I spent it at nightclubs: at least the innovative and experimental stuff there was worth a second go...I'll leave the rest to the imagination.
love The Caterpillar
You did, didn't you? A wonder you have any hearing left. As for me, I'm considering becoming a post-innovative composer. I think lack of innovation is the new innovation. Choice.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

iano wrote:As for me, I'm considering becoming a post-innovative composer. I think lack of innovation is the new innovation. Choice.
If there is such a thing as post-innovation, surely that implies that there is such a thing as pre-innovation and thus before innovation came into existance, composers were not innovative. So, by that reasoning, lack of innovation is hardly new. If, however, there is no such thing as pre-innovation, that implies that all composers are innovative (including yourself) and thus post-innovation may not be logically possible.

Regards
Fred
davida march
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by davida march »

fredbucket wrote:
iano wrote:As for me, I'm considering becoming a post-innovative composer. I think lack of innovation is the new innovation. Choice.
If there is such a thing as post-innovation, surely that implies that there is such a thing as pre-innovation and thus before innovation came into existance, composers were not innovative. So, by that reasoning, lack of innovation is hardly new. If, however, there is no such thing as pre-innovation, that implies that all composers are innovative (including yourself) and thus post-innovation may not be logically possible.

Regards
Fred
Too slow Fred, we've already moved onto post-post-innovation, although that could be the name of a local fence company.

Post| | | | | | | | | | gate closed...
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello All - re. George F. Boyle:

iano, I checked and the Serenade is the only one of his "Four Compositions" which I have. However, I do have the Piano Sonata (1923; 56 pages of unabashed romanticism) and his "Songs Of The Cascade" (1921). Both works are beautiful.
I will post each one either later tonight or more likely early tomorrow morning.

Best Regards,

Frank :D
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)

Post by Riodk »

I have this one. Scanned by Thal ?

Riodk
Boyle_Piano Concerto d minor_4H.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello Friends, Here is George F. Boyle's Piano Sonata from 1925 - enjoy

Frank :D
Boyle - Piano Sonata - Part 1.pdf
Boyle - Piano Sonata - Part 2.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

And........George F. Boyle's "Songs Of The Cascade" from 1921

Frank
Boyle - Songs Of The Cascade.pdf