Music by Australian Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
dmitterdorfer
Instruments played, if any: Piano, organ, chorister.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Music by Australian Composers

Post by dmitterdorfer »

iano wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:48 am I will see what I have in my Kitty Parker folders. I've recently been performing her Six Chinese Songs with soprano Sara Macliver. Real gems, worthy of wider recognition.

iano
Hi Ian,
Incidentally, may I offer my congratulations on your wonderful Kitty Parker disc - I absolutely love it.

cheers,
Daniel
besmart
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by besmart »

Hi,
Does anyone have a copy of Aquarelle : piano solo by William Lovelock they would be willing to share with me?

It’s Out of Print and very few libraries have copies. Most in Australia and none in the US so impossible to use ILL.

Thanks
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by soh choon wee »

besmart wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:15 am Hi,
Does anyone have a copy of Aquarelle : piano solo by William Lovelock they would be willing to share with me?

It’s Out of Print and very few libraries have copies. Most in Australia and none in the US so impossible to use ILL.

Thanks
Just curious, should William Lovelock British, even though he spent a large part of his life in Australia. (Um, what about Rachmaninoff, who moved to America as early as in 1918 )
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

soh choon wee wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:01 am

Thanks
Just curious, should William Lovelock British, even though he spent a large part of his life in Australia. (Um, what about Rachmaninoff, who moved to America as early as in 1918 )
As Lovelock died in 1986, you will have issues over copyright in trying to obtain a copy. It was published by Chappell in Sydney in 1973, although you can find the odd copy in some British Libraries, the British Library being the key one beyond Australian libraries. But doubt any will allow copies. Best bet is to check 2nd hand sites to see if a copy might arise you can purchase. Sites like ABE Books or Sheet music warehouse cover a lot of British stuff.

Malcolm
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

Thanks
Many composers emigrated at different points in their careers, and can be probably categorised under multiple geographies. I would argue that Rachmaninov's style was almost all drawn from his Russian heritage .

Others like Lovelock, Baynton and co who moved earlier in their lives may have had a more substantial career in their new countries. I just re-notated a score by Scottish born James BRASH (1881-1961?), who emigrated to Australia in 1921, exactly midway through his life, but whose career artefacts as composer and teacher seem to be almost all in Australia.
The Dance of Harlequin: https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/8267066
NLA score download: https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-174667286/vi ... -174667308

I found notes about the large influx of foreign-born musicians, composers and teachers who moved to Australia around 1900. Cohorts of them may be found teaching at Paling's in Sydney or involved in the setting up of the Sydney Conservatorium and other schools in those years. Meanwhile many Australian-born composers and performers often had training at schools in London and on the European continent.
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

bingo wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:18 am

Thanks
Many composers emigrated at different points in their careers, and can be probably categorised under multiple geographies. I would argue that Rachmaninov's style was almost all drawn from his Russian heritage .

Others like Lovelock, Baynton and co who moved earlier in their lives may have had a more substantial career in their new countries. I just re-notated a score by Scottish born James BRASH (1881-1961?), who emigrated to Australia in 1921, exactly midway through his life, but whose career artefacts as composer and teacher seem to be almost all in Australia.
The Dance of Harlequin: https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/8267066
NLA score download: https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-174667286/vi ... -174667308

I found notes about the large influx of foreign-born musicians, composers and teachers who moved to Australia around 1900. Cohorts of them may be found teaching at Paling's in Sydney or involved in the setting up of the Sydney Conservatorium and other schools in those years. Meanwhile many Australian-born composers and performers often had training at schools in London and on the European continent.
In a way, i always wonder if the great Joan Sutherland a British soprano or an Australian one. And that aside, it always give me a big problem how to group my music scores based on nationality........ sigh.
Liubingbingpiano

Post by Liubingbingpiano »

I’m looking for the score of Lindley Evans’ Lavender Time and Percy Grainger’s Hard-Hearted Barb’ra (H)Ellen & In Bristol Town (Both Grainger’s in British Folk-Music Settings, both unnumbered).
Does anyone have that?
Thanks a lot🙏
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

Both composers are still in copyright.

I haven't seen Lavender Time in the wild but it is available in a collection of Evans' works published by Wirripang available for purchase as a direct download: https://www.australiancomposers.com.au/ ... dley-evans

Someone has done a score video for Hard-Hearted Barb’ra on YouTube.
Liubingbingpiano

Post by Liubingbingpiano »

bingo wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:32 pm Both composers are still in copyright.

I haven't seen Lavender Time in the wild but it is available in a collection of Evans' works published by Wirripang available for purchase as a direct download: https://www.australiancomposers.com.au/ ... dley-evans

Someone has done a score video for Hard-Hearted Barb’ra on YouTube.
Thanks!