Thanks seconded ! :)
Best regards, Ferruccio
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Toccatas

Post by fhimpsl »

My thanks as well to Malcolm for this beautiful set of toccatas!! I quite agree with Fleubis that the scoring is highly unusual based on the toccata structures we see more frequently. What gorgeous romantic piano writing, simply wonderful!

All best,

Frank :mrgreen:
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello All,

Since Frank cleared up the Hans / Harry - Engel / Engle -man confusion, I Have managed to stumble across quite a few of Hans Ulrich's pieces.
I upload this one now since it appears there is an avid TOCCATA collector here on PP. I leave it to the moderators to decide whether to switch this to the Toccata thread, but I'll start it here since Engelmann references start here.
Engelmann-Toccata.pdf
regards
tobyjj
MOD EDIT: post moved to the toccatas thread since Hans-Ulrich's music (being a pupil of Heiß, Leibowitz and Krenek) is not exactly jazzy or novelty-like. I leave it here as an example of his style, but since he died veery recently (on January, 8th, 2011 to be exact) no more of his works should be posted here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Hello again,

Having successfully (though unintentionally) restored the confusion in my own mind between the Engel / Engle - mann persona, I apologise for the previous posting but am grateful to the 'mod-edit' for permitting it. It's a good job that not all composers are called Smith or Jones !

Perhaps I can atone for the previous posting with this piece by Roy Agnew - I am reasonably confident that this one does not break any rules - though I wait nervously with 'bated breath for a 'mod-slap' !
Agnew-Toccata-Tragica.pdf
Regards,
Toby
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

tobyjj wrote:Perhaps I can atone for the previous posting with this piece by Roy Agnew - I am reasonably confident that this one does not break any rules - though I wait nervously with 'bated breath for a 'mod-slap' !
This piece is obtainable through IMSLP, and we don't normally double up where pieces are freely available for download from other sources. I'll leave it here nonetheless, and thanks for making to effort to upload. There should be more like you.

Regards
Fred
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar

Post by caostotale »

Not quite sure where to post this one...

Here's an interesting concerto/toccata by the very underrated Romanian member of L'Ecole de Paris, Marcel Mihalovici. Amazingly enough, their is a CD recording of this work being played by its dedicatee Monique Haas (on the Tahra label). Haas was actually married to Mihalovici and performed quite a few of his works alongside her other repertoire pieces.

I've not run upon any dialogue or criticism on this work, aside from a passing mention that it falls into a period of Mihalovici's output that was heavily influenced by baroque forms and modern constructivist ideas. I just ordered the CD, so maybe there's some sort of writeup in there that could provide a better context.

Enjoy! This looks like a pretty intense piece to learn and/or perform.
Mihalovici - Toccata for piano and orchestra, op. 44 (1940).pdf
jre58591

Post by jre58591 »

caostotale wrote:Not quite sure where to post this one...

Here's an interesting concerto/toccata by the very underrated Romanian member of L'Ecole de Paris, Marcel Mihalovici. Amazingly enough, their is a CD recording of this work being played by its dedicatee Monique Haas (on the Tahra label). Haas was actually married to Mihalovici and performed quite a few of his works alongside her other repertoire pieces.

I've not run upon any dialogue or criticism on this work, aside from a passing mention that it falls into a period of Mihalovici's output that was heavily influenced by baroque forms and modern constructivist ideas. I just ordered the CD, so maybe there's some sort of writeup in there that could provide a better context.

Enjoy! This looks like a pretty intense piece to learn and/or perform.
Mihalovici - Toccata for piano and orchestra, op. 44 (1940).pdf
Mind posting a link to the CD? I'd love to order it myself.
Jean-Séb
Pianomasochist

Post by Jean-Séb »

jre58591 wrote:Mind posting a link to the CD? I'd love to order it myself.
http://www.amazon.fr/In%C3%A9dits-Moniq ... 822&sr=1-3
http://www.tahra.com/liste_product.php?attr=2&vattr=107
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar

Post by caostotale »

I ordered it from this site. I can't vouch for the quality of the merchant as I've never used them before:

http://www.norpete.com/p0282.html

That amazon.fr used price is highway robbery.
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

caostotale wrote:I ordered it from this site. I can't vouch for the quality of the merchant as I've never used them before:

http://www.norpete.com/p0282.html

That amazon.fr used price is highway robbery.
Dear caos, you will have no problems with Norpete, they are an excellent company, I have dealt with them on a number of occasions. Their speciality is historical performances and they seem to have many rare labels in stock so well worth checking.
regards
Brian