Toccatas

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
sgambatiesque

Re: Toccatas

Post by sgambatiesque »

caostotale wrote:
That amazon.fr used price is highway robbery.
Quite par for the course in France I'm afraid. There's a couple of things going on:
1. used goods are sold at a fraction off retail price, regardless of age or condition
2. a lot of music just doesn't get released in France although it's released in neighbouring countries, or it's released much later than the rest of Europe (even where the artist is French!).

- both of which allow opportunists to thrive!

It's much much cheaper to buy a lot of stuff from neighbouring countries (UK especially) and pay for postage. You will find the item actually arrives sooner than ordering domestically as there's no rush to process or acknowledge orders.
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar
Music Scores: Yes

Post by caostotale »

It is a relatively older release from a pretty small label, so it makes sense that it's found it's way into that 'rarity' category, not unlike so many academic publications that are exclusively marketed to college libraries. The label should really have that and other older releases available as MP3 downloads, as they do with some of their newer releases (including one by Monique Haas).

At least we all seem to be on the same page as regards surgically-precise materialism :D .
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

A toccata album to end all toccata albums - from Sibley...

Regards
Fred

Publication Name: Toccata album for the piano
URL: https://urresearch.rochester.edu/instit ... onNumber=1
Composer:Balogh, Ernő (1897 - 1989)
agitated_mongoose
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: No

Post by agitated_mongoose »

I am looking for suggestions for lesser-known, high-quality toccatas (or toccata-like pieces).

Those of Bach, Prokofiev, and Khachaturian are of course classics, and recently my interest was reawakened by listening to Kapustin and some pieces on this forum.

To start things off, let me suggest listening to Philip Amalong's album Touch: The Toccata Project, which contains a varied selection from post-1900 American composers.

[edit: This post was originally a new thread; thank you to whoever moved it here. I missed this thread while searching. I would be especially grateful for any "jazzy" toccatas.]

[mod edit: ‘twas me. FB]
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

agitated_mongoose wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:01 pmI am looking for suggestions for lesser-known, high-quality toccatas (or toccata-like pieces).
As you can no doubt see, we have quite a few...

Regards
Fred
agitated_mongoose
Participant
Music Scores: No

Post by agitated_mongoose »

Indeed! The album you linked will keep me busy for some time. Thank you.

However, I'm still hunting for more jazzy, Kapustin-esque toccatas. It's a shame he only wrote two.
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

agitated_mongoose wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:52 am However, I'm still hunting for more jazzy, Kapustin-esque toccatas. It's a shame he only wrote two.
Karl Amadeus Hartmann: Jazz-Toccata and Fugue(1928)

Not quite out of copyright, but at least you can buy it from Schott as a digital download
robmg2

Post by robmg2 »

I do not know if it is already out of copyright
If so please delete it.
Hartmann-Jazz_Toccata_Fuge.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

robmg2 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:41 pm I do not know if it is already out of copyright
If so please delete it. Hartmann-Jazz_Toccata_Fuge.pdf
Owner: I'll leave it for a few days and then will delete. Please remember if it is still in print or an 'official' download, then do not post on Pianophilia, I can still get dragged to prison for infringement (EU law is 70 years from death of composer, although if an old printing I will often allow it to be posted, like some of the works from Eastern European or Russian/Soviet composers...............where they are quite rare, and it is extremely difficult to obtain copies). If I stick my neck out for the site, I would prefer not to have my head cut off !!! Malcolm
robmg2

Post by robmg2 »

Sorry I'll be more careful next time