Toccatas

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Toccatas

Post by oren segev »

passthesalt wrote:Here's John Vallier's Toccatina, which Marc-Andre Hamelin included (at hummingbird wing speed) on his Kaleidoscope CD. It was posted a while back on the old PP, but I don't think thelink is active anymore. It sounds like a soundtrack to a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

By the way, does anyone know of anything else that Vallier wrote? This is all I could ever find of his music.
Vallier - Toccatina.pdf
Beside the Toccatina i own vallier-cornish sketches for piano solo
If it does interest you
Oren
passthesalt
Pianophiliac

Post by passthesalt »

oren segev wrote:Beside the Toccatina i own vallier-cornish sketches for piano solo
If it does interest you
Oren
Absolutely, I'm interested in more Vallier! Thanks, Oren.
WCosand
Pianophiliac

Post by WCosand »

Thank you so much, all of you scanners!
ilu
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by ilu »

Jeno Takacs:

Born in Cinfalva, Hungary, he studied at the Academy of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna with Joseph Marx in composition and Paul Weingarten in piano until 1926.at the University of Vienna with Hans Gál counterpoint and Guido Adler music science. Since 1920, he had already undertaken tours through Germany, Hungary and Yugoslavia. In 1926 he made acquaintance with Béla Bartók; from which a lively contact arose until Bartók's emigration to the United States in 1940. He was a professor of piano at the conservatory of Cairo, Egypt from 1927 to 1932, where he made Arab and Egyptian Music the subject of his research. He made Dracula with Egon Wellesz, Curt Sachs, Erich Moritz von Hornbostel and Paul Hindemith

Moderator Edit:
Takacs died in 2005. He also composed some Toccatas (opp54, 56 and 120 No2) which are still available from Doblinger http://www.doblinger-musikverlag.at/Komp/index.php?sp=1.
Quo melius Illac
CH.Alkane

Post by CH.Alkane »

I heard the toccata of Romanian composer Paul Constantinescu (1909-1963) as an encore at a concert a few years and was rather struck with it. Does anybody have a copy? Thanks!
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

CH.Alkane wrote:I heard the toccata of Romanian composer Paul Constantinescu (1909-1963) as an encore at a concert a few years and was rather struck with it. Does anybody have a copy? Thanks!
It was uploaded on the old board, so I've reuploaded it here.
constantinescu - joc dobrogean (toccata).pdf
NMS and TTTOS.

Regards
Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CH.Alkane

Post by CH.Alkane »

Thanks a bunch Fred!
ahinton
Music Scores: No

Post by ahinton »

rob wrote:
Richard0428 wrote:...let's not forget the early Toccata by Sorabji, although am I right in saying we're not supposed to put this up here, as the scores are freely available from the Sorabji society?
Freely available perhaps, but not actually free! I'm sure Alistair would provide a price on request when he gets round to rejoining! But in fact there are a number of Sorabji works using the name Toccata:

1920 Toccata (0)
1928 Toccata 1
1929 Toccatinetta sopra CGF
1933-4 Toccata 2
1937-8? Toccata 3, lost
1964-7 Toccata 4
Yes - sorry - didn't see this until now! All the details are on www.sorabji-archive.co.uk and we supply all of these scores except the one lost work that (because it is still either lost or its whereabouts is unknown to us or to anyone that we know). For the record, Toccata 2 is available not only as a copy of the autograph ms. but in any excellent typeset edition by Alexander Abercrombie - and Toccatinetta is available also as a handwritten edition by Donna Amato who first performed and recorded it for Altarus some years ago. Toccata I has also been recorded by Jonathan Powell on Altarus. We also supply both of these Altarus recordings.

Best,

Alistair
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo

Post by thalbergmad »

The advantage of dealing with the Sorabji Archive as opposed to most publishers, is that you know your order has been carefully checked by the Archive cat prior to despatch.

If only others would offer a similar service.

Thal
Igod82

Post by Igod82 »

I agree they provide a great service (The Sorabji Archive). I am just waiting to hit the lottery so i can purchase some scores. It seems Sorabji was not a great friend of trees...... His etudes number over 800 pages...