Grainger

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
isokani
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Grainger

Post by isokani »

I wonder if I can ask for the opinions and advice of our members.
I have been learning some pieces by Grainger and will be playing them in some places where the composer's music is not so well-known: Slovakia, Ukraine, Poland, Czech Republic (i.e. most of my usual haunts). And I'm thinking perhaps I might record some as well. But I don't want to play just the "usual" pieces.
My selection so far is:

Now I needs must part
Molly on the Shore
Nightingale and the Two Sisters
Three Scotch Folksongs
To a Nordic Princess
Scotch Strathspey and Reel
Blithe Bells
In Dahomey
Lullaby from a Tribute to Foster
My Robin is to the Greenwood Gone
Nell (Faure transcription)
Hill Song no.1 (in the Stevenson version).

So a mixture of some well-known and more unusual items.
I note from the content of the P. Thwaites complete edition that there are an awful lot more unusual pieces, and I wonder if anyone has heard them and can recommend some?
I will be most grateful for all suggestions
porilo

Re: Grainger

Post by porilo »

How about the transcription of Tchaikovsky's 1st piano concerto?
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by fleubis »

I love Grainger and a recording of these works (or any Grainger) wold surely be most welcomed but must confess that I've not heard of most of the pieces mentioned, so now to search them out.
pianojay

Post by pianojay »

isokani wrote:I wonder if I can ask for the opinions and advice of our members.
I have been learning some pieces by Grainger and will be playing them in some places where the composer's music is not so well-known: Slovakia, Ukraine, Poland, Czech Republic (i.e. most of my usual haunts). And I'm thinking perhaps I might record some as well. But I don't want to play just the "usual" pieces.
My selection so far is:

Now I needs must part
Molly on the Shore
Nightingale and the Two Sisters
Three Scotch Folksongs
To a Nordic Princess
Scotch Strathspey and Reel
Blithe Bells
In Dahomey
Lullaby from a Tribute to Foster
My Robin is to the Greenwood Gone
Nell (Faure transcription)
Hill Song no.1 (in the Stevenson version).

So a mixture of some well-known and more unusual items.
I note from the content of the P. Thwaites complete edition that there are an awful lot more unusual pieces, and I wonder if anyone has heard them and can recommend some?
I will be most grateful for all suggestions
Greetings!
An absolute MUST is his "In a Nutshell": http://www.mediafire.com/?mt2gktj2hwm
Enjoy!
Jay
phikfy
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by phikfy »

Congratulations. I especially look forward to the In Dahomey. And it would be nice if you can include the arrangement of Tchai Flower Waltz. It's a very effective concert piece.

Koon
Alexanderplatz

Post by Alexanderplatz »

Why not contact the Percy Grainger Society UK?
It's located in Aylesbury, not very far from London.
Oberon Smith

Post by Oberon Smith »

Just a quick question.. years ago I learned the "Over the Hills and Faraway" for piano and orchestra..sadly, my copy was destroyed in and accident. Would anyone here have a copy of it. It was a very effective piece, much loved. Thank you Oberon
Oberon Smith

Post by Oberon Smith »

Hummm.... Hummm ... Hummm.... well, I searched the internet, for information on the Grainger's Children's March... and now I am not sure. I learned it with my first piano teacher, I don't know if it was the piano and band copy, or the two piano version. I do remember that the band teacher, I think, did an arrangement of it for band instruments. Now, seeing the internet recordings, where you do not hear the piano clearly, and the band instruments are featured, I am not sure which copy we had. I do remember playing it in a two piano version with Emma, with great success. So , I think she must have had the two piano version, and some form of an arrangement was made when I played it with the High School band, because I was used as a featured artist, (((yes, it was my first time playing in an instrumental setting))). It has been a lonnnnnng time since I was a High School student.. yikes.. Thank you Oberon
puffermcsmith
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano, guitar, bass, drums/percussion, clarinet, bass clarinet.
Music Scores: No

Post by puffermcsmith »

Does a solo piano arrangement exist for Grainger's "Lincolnshire Posy"? I have a recording of the composer performing it on an old organ but I wasn't sure if a commercial edition of the sheet music existed.
Thank you!
isokani
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by isokani »

See
http://www.bardic-music.com/graingerbardic.htm
but it doesn't appear to be by Grainger (but is probably prepared from his short score, and these often resemble piano reductions). You'll have to email Barry Ould (contact at bottom of page).