Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Moritz Moszkowski

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello Friends,

I've spent some time this weekend organizing scores by one of my favorite composers, Moritz Moszkowski, and noted several items that may be scarce as they are not posted on IMSLP (which has a very comprehensive Moszkowski selection). So I'm going to scan them all and post them here for everyone to enjoy.

The first one is very special for several reasons. It was transcribed for piano by the late Thomas Johnson from a piece originally written for organ (probably the only one MM composed for this instrument). My dear, late friend Jon Skinner upon my request obtained the manuscript from the Johnson estate, and then made a beautifully written transcription of the piece via Encore software.

The Moszkowski piece is Op. 90 "Introduction et Allegro pour l'Orgue Aeolian, and this posting is dedicated to the memory of the dedicated individuals mentioned above.

All Best,

Frank
Moszkowski, Moritz - 090 - Intro et Allegro arr. Johnson.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

...and Speaking of Moszkowski Rarities

Post by fhimpsl »

Does anyone perchance have copies of Moszkowski Op. 79, numbers 1 & 2? These were originally part of a set of 3 waltzes published by Bote & Bock in 1908. I only have Op. 79, No. 3, which is all that was to be found at the Library of Congress years ago when I first became interested in Moszkowski. Also these are both missing from IMSLP, so I suspect it's a case of another two of those hen's teeth that we collectors are always on the hunt for.

Thanks,

Frank :D
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by Timtin »

Frank, unless I'm very much mistaken, Moskowski's Op79 is his 3rd. Orchestral Suite in
4 movements published in 1908, and then the Valse was re-worked as a piano piece (Op79a)
in the same year. None of the other 3 movements had a piano version printed. Therefore,
although not an MM expert, I would venture to suggest that what you're looking for doesn't
actually exist (a bit like hens' teeth). Of course, I could be completely wrong, and usually am!
Bote and Bock had done a similar thing a few years earlier by printing some movements of
MM's ballet Laurin Op53 also for piano solo. Btw, many thanks for the 2H version of Op90.
Last edited by Timtin on Sun May 01, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Timtin wrote:Frank, unless I'm very much mistaken, Moskowski's Op79 is his 3rd. Orchestral Suite in
4 movements published in 1908, and then the Valse was re-worked as a piano piece (Op79a)
in the same year. None of the other 3 movements had a piano version printed. Therefore,
although not an MM expert, I would venture to suggest that what you're looking for doesn't
actually exist (a bit like hens' teeth). Of course, I could be completely wrong, and usually am!
Btw, many thanks for the 2H version of Op90.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

Yes, op.79 is the third Orchestral Suite (1908) composed by

1 - Allegro
2 - La note obstinée - Molto moderato
3 - Tempo di valse
4 - Allegro deciso

and the Valse is the only part arranged for piano 2H

as far as I know a 4H of the full Suite doesn't exist (nor a 2H,of course)
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

It looks like Alfor, Caprotti, and myself are singing from the same hymn-sheet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... Moszkowski
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Alfor, Caprotti & Timtin,

Thank you all for clearing this up for me. Now it all makes sense. These things always happen when you really try and nail down all the works by a given composer. Alfred, thanks especially for the Berlin Library index cards for reference; and Caprotti thanks for listing the movements of Op. 79 for me (and for the info that 4H or 2H arrangements were not issued). To all, I'm glad you liked the MM Op. 90. I'll continue to post MM scores which aren't already on IMSLP, so hopefully between our home base & IMSLP there will be a pretty complete collection available.

All Best,

Frank
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Moszkowski (missing on IMSLP)

Post by fhimpsl »

Here are the few missing pieces of Op. 10. Soon will follow the entire Op. 17.
Moszkowski, Moritz - 010-2 - Thema.pdf
Moszkowski, Moritz - 010-4 - Impromptu uber Sachs.pdf
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by fhimpsl »

Here is the entire Op. 17 set of "Trois Morceaux;" a beautiful group of pieces.
Moszkowski, Moritz - 017-1 - Polonaise.pdf
Moszkowski, Moritz - 017-2 - Menuett.pdf
Moszkowski, Moritz - 017-3 - Walzer.pdf
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

Hi Frank

Most of Moszkowski's output was scanned and posted on a former incarnation of PP (mostly by paddys) and many of us have these scans. I can post my list later if you like, but you could certainly detail here in advance what you plan to scan and post, and many of us can check our folders for you.

Rob