Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Composers from Germany [Misc]

Post by fhimpsl »

Hi Rob,

Many thanks for the detailed listing of available Moszkowski opus numbers. That certainly is a pretty complete collection! Your note sparked a memory that about a year ago (actually 4/9/10) PP member alpha sent me a link to an enormous and fascinating PhD dissertation on the works of Moszkowski. A .pdf file can be freely downloaded at this address: http://opus.kobv.de/tuberlin/volltexte/2009/2195/ (courtesly of alpha). The only problem is that the entire text is in German. My German isn't quite good enough to make as much headway into this document as I'd like to. I've searched for this and thus far haven't found access to an English version (or for that matter a hardcopy of the dissertation itself).

Any Moszkowski enthusiast should be aware of and download a copy of this dissertation. It's loaded with priceless photographs and a complete listing of all the works....including the discovery of the missing Op. 3, which turned out to be an unpublished manuscript of Moszkowski's first piano concerto (dedicated to Liszt). I would love to see that manuscript published!

All Best,

Frank
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Moritz Moszkowski

Post by rob »

I've decided to create a thread specifically for Moszkowski so have split these posts from the Germany thread. If I've missed any posts that should be included, do let me know.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Moszkowski Op. 3 First Concerto Located

Post by fhimpsl »

Hello Friends,

I have just received a return email from Dr. Bojan Assenov with information regarding Moszkowski's First Piano Concerto, Op. 3, which had prior to his research been considered lost. Apparently the score is at the Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris, and has been mis-filed as Op. 6 (quite likely the reason the Concerto has been "missing" for all these years!) To quote Dr. Assenov:

"Unfortunately I do not own a scan or copy of Moszkowskis op.3. That score is at
the moment only available in this manuscript (that is wrongfully in the
catalogue as op.6) in the Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris."

Dr. Assenov (PhD 2009, University of Berlin) also mentioned that his doctoral dissertation was going to be published in Germany by Hainholz, and that it would only be published in German.

Would any Pianophilians be geographically situated so as to be able to check out the Bibliotheque Nationale and perhaps negotiate with them for a copy of the Concerto? I will try contacting them as well, although Dr. Assenov tended to indicate that a personal visit to the library would be likely be necessary. I would be glad to contribute towards this effort and pool resources as well (just short of purchasing an airline ticket from Colorado to Paris!)

All Best,

Frank
kvizy
Participant
Instruments played, if any: I'm a (hobby) pianist, with special interest in classical and early romantic music. I like playing music by forgotten composers (Eberl, Ries, Jadin ...) and sharing their scores.

Re: Moritz Moszkowski

Post by kvizy »

Dear Frank,

as a French pianophile I can't but agree with your statement that a personal visit to the Paris BN is necessary in the case of your Moszkowski manuscript : they don't have (yet) a fully digitized catalog and one must check through three cardboard files to get the correct shelf number of the manuscript and to see if it has been already microfilmed. If it's the case, then it's possible to get a (more or less readable) xerox copy of it. If not, the one must ask for a copy (which is only allowed if the manuscript is in a good shape). The copyright should'nt be an issue, because Moszkowki died in 1925 and normally his music is public domain since 1996 but it's safer to ask a local librarian.

I can readily go the BN to look after your concerto, and I just planned to pay them a visit at the end of May. Please send me a PM to tell me if it's OK or if you need the score more urgently.

BW,
kvizy
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

finally, from rsl

Moszkowski - 59 - Concerto E (a J.Hofmann) fs.pdf

http://www.sendspace.com/file/b4c7yv
liveforpiano
Pianophiliac

Post by liveforpiano »

There was some discussion on the site about a piano solo arrangement of the Opus 59 Piano Concerto. This was arranged by Thomas A. Johnson. The other day I purchased an ANDANTE & SCHERZO Opus 59 of Moszkowski done by Thomas A. Johnson. As the opus number is the same as the concerto, I am thinking that this is what we were talking about, although it is NOT the complete work. It may have been all that was arranged.

Anyway. I post a copy of this for you to make up your own minds.
Moszkowski M. Andante & Scherzo.pdf
Peter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

Thank you, there is no evidence of a complete 2H edition of the concerto.
fhimpsl
Pianomasochist

Post by fhimpsl »

Dear Peter,

My sincere thanks as well. This one really hits "home" with me since MM has always been one of my favorite composers, and I've tried for years to track down the mythical 2H Op. 59. I was completely unsuccessful in my efforts to obtain the score from the Thomas A. Johnson estate, having been told that TAJ never made such an arrangement. So what you have found is a very exciting and new discovery as far as I'm concerned!!! Much better to have excerpts from the Concerto arr. 2H than nothing at all.

Thanks again and major kudos for obtaining this and for sharing this rarity with us all.

All Best,

Frank
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

To tell the truth, and not to reduce Peter's effort, that score was for sale till not many years ago, it's a Peters edition issued in 1953. The fact is that nobody - included myself - realized that it had never been scanned !!
Alex
Pianophiliac

Post by Alex »

What a shame that the estate had no idea of this transcription. Thank you so much Peter. Echoing the others, Moszkowski is also one of my favorite composers and this score is simply exciting!! I can't wait to play it. Maybe someone can transcribe the other movements? I can take a look at the full score (or 2-piano) and I'll think about it ;). Is this transcription excerpted or the complete Andante and Scherzo?
Also, what ever happened to our fellow members getting a hold of the Op.3 Concerto? I am extremely interested in that manuscript.

EDIT: Just want to say that Moszkowski's Op. 59 is among the top of my favorite piano concertos :)