Urtext Scores

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Urtext Scores

Post by mballan »

Re: Schubert / Ferguson scores: Please can we be very careful with Urtext scores. Just received a complaint from the publisher...........we can not and must not infridge copyright, so please remove immediately, and be more careful in future. These scores are still in print and readily available.

Malcolm
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

mballan wrote:Re: Schubert / Ferguson scores: Please can we be very careful with Urtext scores. Just received a complaint from the publisher...........we can not and must not infridge copyright, so please remove immediately, and be more careful in future. These scores are still in print and readily available.

Malcolm
That is no problem for me because I spent the money and own the the three volumes printed on quality paper and very well bound.

I anyway was a bit astonished because in this forum many Urtext scores have been posted which are still in print!*** But everybody in this forum claimed to know that there is only a 25-year term of copyright for Urtext scores (if, as in this case, the music itself is public domain and regardless whether still in print or not).

So please give us exact rules for Urtext scores to be posted in this forum.

Thank you!!
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
promusician
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,violin,cello

Post by promusician »

Maybe there are some ABRSM copyright reviewers lurking around this forum? ;)
Sharing is caring:)
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by mballan »

Promusican - a number of people from the publishing community are members of this site and have kindly given advice and guidance to me regarding difficult copyright situations. They have also alerted me on occasions when we have blatantly infringed on copyright.

However, I had to take immediate action as I had received a direct complaint from a publisher regards the Schubert / Ferguson postings, and felt I have to comply since I do not wish the site to be closed down, nor face imprisonment, or a heavy fine [and in the process lose my job] !

Alfor - it appears one of my moderators have mellowed down your reply - but I do not appreciate such rudeness when all I am trying to do is protect this website and individuals like yourself. I appreciate it can be frustrating, copyright laws are very complex, especially in the EU but I would be a poor owner and moderator if I did not act accordingly to protect all of us.

Yes, you are correct; in general Urtext is covered by a 25 year rule. The difficulty lies around how much editorial involvement was undertaken by Ferguson, since he died in only 1999. It was on this aspect that the complaint was raised (beyond the fact that these works are in print and still available to purchase, and we are in fact robbing the publisher of commercial income and possible royalties to the Ferguson family].

I have never been comfortable with this thread from the start, as it does cover one of the more 'muddier' areas of copyright, and we have had several previous queries on copyright raised on this subject. However, I am sure none of us wish to see this site closed down because we cross the line on copyright law. I am overall extremely flexible at times on the copyright question, but there will be occasions when I have to take action. However, I do not expect then a tirade of rudeness and argument made public on the site - either send me a private PM or e-mail me to discuss. If you do not like my judgment then any member is totally free to terminate their membership from Pianophilia.

I am also puzzled regards the posting of Urtext scores since the original aim of Pianophilia was to share and discuss more rare music scores, rather than the standard repertoire. I wish members would follow this guideline then there would likely be far less concern regards copyright in future postings. In light of the complexities that have been throw up through posting Urtext scores on line, I have decided to lock this thread for the future, and have removed the Schubert items. I do not wish for any further Urtext editions to be posted on Pianophilia in future.

If members do have something they wish to post but are unsure about copyright, then either myself or one of the Modertors can always check for you.

Malcolm