Polish Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Ludomir Rozycki

Post by mballan »

In light of various discussions around Rozycki, I have drawn together information on his life and works.

Ludomir Rozycki. Born 1883, Warsaw: died 1953, Katowice. Composer, conductor and pedagogue. Rozycki studied piano with Michalowski, theory under Rogulski and Biernacki, and composition under Noskowski at the Warsaw Music Institute. Having graduated with a gold medal in 1904, he continued studying composition under Engelbert Humperdinck at the Akademie der Künste in Berlin between 1904-7.

His composing debut was the symphonic scherzo Stanczyk Op 1, performed by the Warsaw Philharmonic in February 1904. In 1905, along with Szymanowski, Fitelberg and Szelute, he set up the Spolka Nakladowa Mlodych Kompozytorow Polskich / Company of Young Polish Composers - a group whose purpose was to promote new Polish music abroad. It did so until 1912. In 1907, having refused an appointment as professor at the Oslo Conservatory, Rozycki moved to Lvov to work as the city's opera conductor and to run the piano class at the Galician Music Society Conservatory. His symphonic poem Krol Kofetua / King Cofetua Op 24 won the first prize at the competition celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Warsaw Philharmonic in 1912. From 1912 to 1918 he stayed in Berlin, making several artistic trips chiefly to Switzerland, Italy and France, and in 1918 returned to Warsaw and was for a while a conductor at the Wielki Theatre.

During the inter-war period Rozycki undertook journalistic, organisational and pedagogical work. He was instrumental in establishing the Polish Composers' Association in 1926 and became its first chairman. From 1930-32 he became a lecturer at the Warsaw Conservatory. During World War II he took part in underground concerts as a pianist and accompanist. After the Warsaw Rising of 1944, during which many of his manuscripts were destroyed, he took refuge in Osieczany near Cracow. After the war he settled in Katowice, taking a teaching job at the National Higher School of Music. In 1945-6 he was acting Dean of the School's Department of Theory, Composition and Conducting. The last years of his life were spent reconstructing the scores which had perished during the war years.

Rozycki received a number of awards and decorations, including the Officer's Cross of the Order Polonia Restituta in 1925, the Gold Medal of the French Government for the ballet Apollo i dziewczyna / Apollo and the Girl, the National Music Award for the opera Eros and Psyche in 1937, the Golden Cross of Merit in 1946, the Order of the Standard of Labour of First Class in 1950, the Commodore's Cross with the Polonia Restituta Star in 1951, and the State Award of the First Degree for life achievement in 1952. He was a member of the Polish Composers' Union from 1945.

I have attached a pdf file of a works list for the composer. Although, we have recently had several works by the composer posted on PP, you will see there are quite a number of piano works still to locate ! The mystery on the Op 2 works seems to be that there are two works allocated - the 1st Ballade for Piano & Orchestra and the Five Preludes [several libraries confirmed both]!! Hence I have allocated the 5 preludes as Op 2 bis. Interestingly the number of ? against an opus number corresponds almost to the number of works currently not allocated an opus number so there may be link.

I have posted the Op 18 Ballade No. 2 for Piano & Orchestra. Apologies, I only had an old photocopy which wasn't perfect, I have tried to make a better copy whilst I scanned, hopefully it's quite readable.

Malcolm
Rozycki L - Op 18 Ballade No. 2 for Piano & Orchestra.pdf
Rozycki works list.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scharwenka790

Re: Rozycki - Ballade No. 1 Op 2

Post by Scharwenka790 »

isokani wrote:Err, unless the beginning is uncannily similar, I have a feeling that this link directed me to the last movement of Paderewski's Concerto. Would love to hear Rozycki, though. Apologies if I'm mistaken.
Yes, I can confirm that the first pressing of that Olympia disc contained the third movement of Paderewski's piano concerto in error. I didn't realise many had got into circulation though. When the disc was issued, Francis Wilson, who ran Olympia, sent me a copy at Hyperion knowing I was a piano enthusiast. I had the dubious pleasure of telling him he had the wrong music on his disc! I thought the CD was immediately withdrawn but obviously some were sold. I never did get a copy with the Rozycki on.
Last edited by Scharwenka790 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
player

Re: Polish Composers

Post by player »

Malcolm, thanks so much for posting the Rozycki Ballade. There may indeed be two Ballades but this the one I have a recording of. Actually all I have is a cassette copy from an LP in my local library (this was before the days of CD by quite a while). It was a Polish label (Muza I think), very dog-eared but very attractive to a young lad seeking out new romantic composers. I'll try and transfer it but would it be allright to post it? I don't know if it has been released on Cd or still available. The pianist is Barbara Hesse-Bukowska and I notice that an on-line biography (http://en.chopin.nifc.pl/chopin/persons/detail/id/798) says:

"She has recorded for the following labels: Polskie Nagrania „Muza”, Lumen, Westminster, Le Chant du Monde, Deutsche Grammophon, Pol-Music. She has immortalised Chopin’s compositions (2 Concertos, waltzes, mazurkas, nocturnes, impromptus, Allegro de Concert, polonaises and etudes), Szymanowski’s (20 Mazurkas), Paderewski’s (Concerto in A minor), Ludomir Różycki (Ballades for piano with orchestra and others).."

I would love to hear the other Rozycki she has recorded, especially the other Ballade. The LP I came across only had the op18 Ballade coupled with the Paderewski Concerto.

Rob C
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

player wrote:Malcolm, thanks so much for posting the Rozycki Ballade. There may indeed be two Ballades but this the one I have a recording of. Actually all I have is a cassette copy from an LP in my local library (this was before the days of CD by quite a while). It was a Polish label (Muza I think), very dog-eared but very attractive to a young lad seeking out new romantic composers. I'll try and transfer it but would it be allright to post it? I don't know if it has been released on Cd or still available. The pianist is Barbara Hesse-Bukowska and I notice that an on-line biography (http://en.chopin.nifc.pl/chopin/persons/detail/id/798) says:

"She has recorded for the following labels: Polskie Nagrania „Muza”, Lumen, Westminster, Le Chant du Monde, Deutsche Grammophon, Pol-Music. She has immortalised Chopin’s compositions (2 Concertos, waltzes, mazurkas, nocturnes, impromptus, Allegro de Concert, polonaises and etudes), Szymanowski’s (20 Mazurkas), Paderewski’s (Concerto in A minor), Ludomir Różycki (Ballades for piano with orchestra and others).."

I would love to hear the other Rozycki she has recorded, especially the other Ballade. The LP I came across only had the op18 Ballade coupled with the Paderewski Concerto.

Rob C
Hi Rob

I for one would be very cuirous to hear as it appears I had a bogus Olympia CD [I hadn't listened to it for a long while...always thought it sounded familar]!! I am not aware of any current recordings nor plans to release at this stage.

I appreciate there may be copyright factors here...any idea how old is the recording ? If it is fairly old...may be just upload it for a week to give members a chance to hear, then delete [I'll check with soemoen how we might stand on copyright if it si an old recoridng]. I suspect the recording is the Op 2 work. At least the article on Barbara Hesse-Bukowska definitely mentions Ballades [plural].

Thank you for the information. Have I managed to track down another piano work and will post here soon [I'm always on the search for any Rozycki].

Malcolm
Scharwenka790

Post by Scharwenka790 »

Here's something I picked up in Glasgow last week which should fit this thread rather nicely - an Impromptu by Ignacy Krzyzanowski. (see Malc., you should have gone up there, you would have got this - not me!)
It seems to be one of the music supplements published by the 'Echo Muzyczne' periodical and presumably has no opus number, it's certainly not the same as the Impromptu published as Op.52. Krzyzanowski has dedicated it to the great pianist Alexander Michalowski; I hope he played it.

Mike
Krzyzanowski, I. - Impromptu (ded. Michalowski).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Scharwenka790 wrote:Here's something I picked up in Glasgow last week which should fit this thread rather nicely - an Impromptu by Ignacy Krzyzanowski. (see Malc., you should have gone up there, you would have got this - not me!)
It seems to be one of the music supplements published by the 'Echo Muzyczne' periodical and presumably has no opus number, it's certainly not the same as the Impromptu published as Op.52. Krzyzanowski has dedicated it to the great pianist Alexander Michalowski; I hope he played it.

Mike
Hi Mike

Double damn.......nevermind, at least you're a kind hearted soul to share with us mortals on PP. Thanks Mike.

I did wonder if it might have been the Op 12 work.....but doesn't seem particularly romantic !!

I have given a works list below - Krzyanowski is not an easy guy to track down in terms of information and scores [not helped that he sometimes gets confused with the Russian Ivan Kryzhanovsky]. Hopefully this might help a bit.

Op 1 ?
Op 2 ?
Op 3 ?
Op 4 ?
Op 5 Romance in D minor for Violin and Orchestra [also arr. violin & piano]
Op 6 “La Favorite” Fantaisie for Piano (Schott)
Op 7 Two Mazurkas for Piano (Schott)
Op 8 ?
Op 9 Souvenir de Busco. Romanze ohne Worte for Piano (Breikopf)
Op 10b Two Mazurkas for Piano (Breitkopf)
Op 11 ?
Op 12 Impromptu en forme de Romance for Piano (Gebethner)
Op 13 Deux Mazurkas for Piano (Gebethner)
Op 14 Polonaise for Piano (Schott)
Op 15 Deux Mazurkas for Piano (Gebethner)
Op 16 Deux Nocturnes for Piano (Bosworth)
Op 17 Andante cantabile in Eb major for Piano (Gebethner 1852-9)
Op 18 Romance for Piano (Gebethner)
Op 19 Andante dramatique for Piano (Gebethner)
Op 19bis ? Four Songs for Voice & Piano [words Verlaine]
Op 20 Polonaise [to commemorate Charles Kurpinski] for Piano (Gebethner)
Op 21 Scherzo in C minor [Hommage a St. Moniuszko] for Piano (Gebethner 1858)
Op 22 Nocturne - Piano (Gebethner)
Op 23 Chanson Polonaises. Two Krakowiaks for Piano (Gebethner)
Op 24 Elegie for Piano (Schott)
Op 25 Nocturne [No. 7?] for Piano (Schott)
Op 26 Chanson Polonaise. Krakowiak No. 3 for Piano (Schott)
Op 27 Polonaise for Piano (Breitkopf)
Op 28 Deux Chants sans paroles for Piano (Gebethner)
Op 29 Elegie No. 2 for Piano (Gebethner)
Op 30 Polonaise No. 4 for Piano (Bote)
Op 31 Chansons Polonaises. Three Krakowiaks for Piano (Gebethner)
Op 32 Trois Chants sans paroles for Piano (Bote)
Op 33 Allegro appassionato, précédé d’un Andante affettuoso for Piano (Bote)
Op 34 Polonaise No. 5 for Piano (Bote)
Op 35 Three Krakowiaks for Piano (Bote)
Op 36 Romance for Piano (Bote)
Op 37 Polonaise de Concert No. 6 in A major for Piano (1874-9 Bote)
Op 38 Trois Mazurkas for Piano (Bote)
Op 39 ?
Op 40 Deux Morceaux for Piano (Gebethner) 1. Dumka 2. Romance
Op 41 ?
Op 42 ?
Op 43 ?
Op 44 ?
Op 45 Piano Sonata in Bb minor for Piano (1880-95)
Op 48 Menuet for Piano (Kistner)
Op 49 Deux Valses for Piano (Kistner)
Op 50 Deux Nocturnes for Piano (Kistner)
Op 51 Serenade for Piano (Kistner)
Op 52 Impromptu for Piano (Kistner)
Op 53 Dumka for Piano (Kistner)
Op 54 Deux Mazurkas for Piano (Kistner)
Op 55 Deux Nocturnes for Piano (Kistner)
Op 56 Gavotte for Piano (Kistner)
Six Bagatelles Book I for Piano (Gebethner)
Six Bagatelles Book II for Piano (Gebethner)
Deux Morceaux for Piano (Gebethner) 1. Feuille d’album 2. Nocturne
Notturno for Piano (Church)
Romance for Piano (Gebethner)
“Sobieski” March for Piano (Gebethner)

Sibley did post a number of his works for me a year or two ago [which can be found through their site or IMSLP].

Malcolm
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)

Post by Riodk »

"I have given a works list below - Krzyanowski is not an easy guy to track down in terms of information and scores [not helped that he sometimes gets confused with the Russian Ivan Kryzhanovsky]. Hopefully this might help a bit."

Thank you for that info Malc !

Riodk
player

Post by player »

Hey guys,
Here is a link to the Rozycki Ballade op18 played by Barbare Hesse-Bukowska. I have to warn you the sound is crackly and old. Taken from an LP many, many years ago on my old tape recorder, but at least it gives you a chance to hear it. I look forward to the day when I have a nice pristine CD of the two Concertos and two Ballades (one can hope...)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6386 ... b9a8902bda

Rob C
alegitor
Pianophiliac

Re: Polish Music & Composers

Post by alegitor »

mballan wrote:Zygmunt Noskowski. Born 1846, Warsaw: died 1909, Wiesbaden. Polish composer, conductor and teacher. Pupil of A Kontski for violin, and Moniuszko for theory and composition. In 1872 he went to Berlin for three years to continue his studies under Kiel. Whilst in Berlin he brought out his first symphony. In 1876 became conductor of a swiss choral society at Constance, but after 5 years returned to Poland to take up post as director of the Warsaw Music Society. In 1888 he was appointed professor of composition at Warsaw Conservatoire. He was a noted teacher and pupils include: Szymanowski, Karlowicz, Fitelberg, Rozycki, Melcer and Morawski. From 1904 until his death he conducted the Warsaw Philharmonic concerts and the Opera orchestra. Piano works include:

Op2 Krakowoak [dedicated to Liszt]
Op 14 Les Sentiments
Op 15 Dumka & Oberek
Op 20 Aquarelles
Op 23 Polish Dances
Op 27 Images
Op 29 Impressions
Op 32 Causeries
Op 33 Ruthenian Melodies
Op 35 Trois Pieces
Op 36 Moments melodiques
Op 37 Contes
Op 39 Petit Rayons
Op 42 Six Polonaise
Op 44 Feuille de trefle
Op 47 Les Primeveres
Op 56 Les Larmes

The Polish recording company Acte Prealabel, have allowed me to share these fully with members, so I have duly posted Op 35, 36, 37 & 44. I also have a copy of Op 29 Impressions and will post this work in due course. These works are also available on CD from same said company.

Malcolm

Op. 29, in two parts, as the file is too large, NMS.

Cheers.
Noskowski - Impressions, Op.29_nr.3&4.pdf
Noskowski - Impressions, Op.29_nr.1&2.pdf
oren segev
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by oren segev »

2 More Noskowski
oren
Noskowski - Polonaise-Elegie in E minor.pdf
Noskowski - Au printemps in Gb major.pdf