Polish Composers

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, banjo
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Polish Composers

Post by thalbergmad »

Well, i could not resist a little search, but can only find the 2nd thus far.

If this is big and romantic, i will continue.

Thal
player
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by player »

Hi Malc,
Glad you know this piece (the Ballade) and would be extremely grateful if you get chance to post the score in the future. I also wrote to Jan Jarnicki at Acte Prealabe about the two concertos and he said he would if he could but being a small company on a small budget it would be difficult. Maybe Hyperion will get around to them sometime? I mentioned them to Jonathon Plowright some time ago but he doesn't know them (but said he would look into them - this was when he was working on the Melcer concertos).
While we're on Concertos is there any news of Hyperion releases beyond the Stenhammar or Taubert?
Rob
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac

Post by thalbergmad »

The word Melcer is enough to take me to heaven. One of my favourite Hyperion releases.

Don't know what is in store for future releases, but i wait with some excitement.

Would rather like Zarzycki and Zellner myself.

Thal
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

player wrote:Hi Malc,
Glad you know this piece (the Ballade) and would be extremely grateful if you get chance to post the score in the future. I also wrote to Jan Jarnicki at Acte Prealabe about the two concertos and he said he would if he could but being a small company on a small budget it would be difficult. Maybe Hyperion will get around to them sometime? I mentioned them to Jonathon Plowright some time ago but he doesn't know them (but said he would look into them - this was when he was working on the Melcer concertos).
While we're on Concertos is there any news of Hyperion releases beyond the Stenhammar or Taubert?
Rob
There are actually two ballades for Piano & Orchestra........the better known one is the Op 2 work, the score I have is the Op 18 Ballade No. 2 . I will post this score and can only hope a recording might appear at some stage. I already do some private work with Jan at AP so I'll encourage him where I can on the Rozycki - he's already actively looking at the Pachulski, Zelenski and Zarzycki works for me.....so I'm sure another couple won't hurt....unless Hyperion get there first with the Rozycki [hint, hint Mike].

Malc
player

Post by player »

There are actually two ballades for Piano & Orchestra........the better known one is the Op 2 work, the score I have is the Op 18 Ballade No. 2 . I will post this score and can only hope a recording might appear at some stage. I already do some private work with Jan at AP so I'll encourage him where I can on the Rozycki - he's already actively looking at the Pachulski, Zelenski and Zarzycki works for me.....so I'm sure another couple won't hurt....unless Hyperion get there first with the Rozycki [hint, hint Mike].

Malc

The Ballade I knew was from a scratchy old Hesse-Bukowska LP and is listed as op2. However http://www.culture.pl/en/culture/artyku ... ki_ludomir has a list of his works and gives op2 as piano preludes and op18 as the Ballade for piano and orchestra. On a selene CD Josef Smidowicz plays 2 of the op2 Preludes so could Muza/Olympia have got the opus number wrong?
Rob
player

Post by player »

Almost forgot - the Smidowicz CD I mentioned in my previous post (released by Selene) also contains Melcer 2 and the Zarzycki. Think it's still available.
Rob
Riodk
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, but not very well :-)

Post by Riodk »

Polish composers are unfortunatly quite difficult to find. But new record labels in Poland are doing a massive job in making new recordings. Acte Prealable as mentioned by Malcolm, DUX and a couple more. Pro Musica Camerata has for example released Franticszek Lessel's Piano Concerto op. 14 together with Adagio et Rondeau a la Polonaise op. 9. Both very nice works.

Riodk
Biljana

Post by Biljana »

Hello to everybody,
here is a link to Polish Digital Library.
There is not much sheet music, but I think you should see if there is anything nice for you.
Regards to all
Biljana
:D :) :D

http://pbc.biaman.pl/dlibra/collectionstats?dirids=24
thalbergmad
Pianophiliac

Post by thalbergmad »

player wrote:Almost forgot - the Smidowicz CD I mentioned in my previous post (released by Selene) also contains Melcer 2 and the Zarzycki. Think it's still available.
Rob
Thanks for pointing this out to me. I thought the Zarzycki was unrecorded.

It appears it is still for sale on Selene's website for a extremely reasonable 10 euros, so i think i will press the add to basket button.

Are you aware of any recording of the Maliszewski Concerto? I am reasonably certain this would also appeal to me.

Thal
isokani
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by isokani »

I'm quite curious to see some music by this man, a close friend of Ciurlionis:

Morawski-Dąbrowa, Eugeniusz

(b Warsaw, 2 Nov 1876; d Warsaw, 23 Oct 1948). Polish composer and teacher. In 1904 he completed his studies at the Warsaw Music Institute as a pupil of Noskowski; he also studied painting. Exiled by the Russian authorities in 1908, he settled in Paris and continued his education with Gédalge (counterpoint) and Camille Chevillard (orchestration), while studying painting further at the Académie Julien and later at the Académie Colorossi with Bourdelle. He returned to Poland in 1930 as director of the Poznań Academy of Music. After several months he moved to Warsaw and, in 1932, succeeded Szymanowski as director and professor of composition at the conservatory. He held that position until 1939. His music, distinguished by colourful instrumentation and rich harmony, shows the influence of the late Romantics and Debussy. (PSB (I. Spóz); SMP (J. Prosnak))

Works
(selective list)

Ops: Aspazja (after A. Świętochowski); Lilla Weneda (after J. Słowacki); Salammbô (after G. Flaubert)
Ballets: Świtezianka [The Mermaid of Świteź] (2, Morawski-Dąbrowa), 1922; Krak i smok [Krak and the Dragon], 1930; Miłość [Love] (4 scenes, F. Siedlecki), perf. 1932
6 syms.: b, e, g, ‘Prometheus’, ‘Fleurs du mal’, ‘Vae victis’
Other Orch: Don Quixote, sym. poem, perf. 1912; Ulalume, sym. poem, perf. 1925; Nevermore, sym. poem, perf. 1938; Finale, f, pf, orch; Miłość [Love], sym. poem; 2 pf concs.; Vn Conc.
Chbr: 7 str qts, 2 vn sonatas, 8 pf sonatas