Piano Holy Grails

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
timgill
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: No

Re: Piano Holy Grails

Post by timgill »

A number of early works by Kapustin. These are described either as "mislaid", when the composer knows that they're still somewhere but doesn't know where, or "missing", where he's pretty certain they've been lost or destroyed. But boy, would I like to get my hands on the ms. for this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUYiD7VGBXY.
Op. XXXIX

Post by Op. XXXIX »

Liszt had planned to transcribe the Beethoven quartets, probably on request from his publisher. I had always thought he passed away before beginning the project, yet I was recently told that Liszt had indeed made several attempts, but was reportedly unhappy with the results, so he tossed the project aside.

Wonder what we missed.
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40
Music Scores: Yes

Post by Timtin »

Everything from yesterday has gone, including my little quiz.
As for holy grails, may I suggest Schubert's Grand Duo D812,
arranged for piano solo by Dietrich - in effect another Schubert
solo piano sonata to enjoy, if someone could only find it.
Op. XXXIX

Post by Op. XXXIX »

Oh okay, thanks. (I didn't think I had done anything wrong.)
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

Op. XXXIX wrote:Oh okay, thanks. (I didn't think I had done anything wrong.)
You didn't. Please read the News section and keep up to date with what is happening to the system overall.

Regards
Fred
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

Charles Villiers Stanford's Piano Sonata in Db major Op20. Locate that and become famous!
Here's an interesting link to an article which discusses it, but with completely the wrong
key mentioned in the title. Click on the other links on this page to access numerous other
pages about British music which the world forgot or just ignored.
http://landofllostcontent.blogspot.com/ ... onata.html
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar

Post by caostotale »

For me, some of Alexandre Tansman works fall into this category, including a first piano trio and a first string quartet (later replaced in his cycle by the 'Triptyche' quartet). Agreed with isokani about early Soviet works a la Mosolov's 3rd sonata. I'm particularly interested in anything that Protopopov composed after those initial few opus numbers.

What generally alarms me more are scores that become unintentional 'holy grails', either because of poor distribution, limited publication, or stubborn publishers/librarians who let them turn to dust on shelves rather than vouchsafing their posterity. Too many composers of the past hundred years are victim to this fate and time is making it worse when very few younger musicians are willing to put down their iPad long enough to actually check out their school's library.
kreisleriana

Post by kreisleriana »

I read from somewhere (I forgot which source it was) that a private collector in Paris has Chopin's unpublished Waltz in B flat major. Can someone verify this?
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

kreisleriana wrote:I read from somewhere (I forgot which source it was) that a private collector in Paris has Chopin's unpublished Waltz in B flat major. Can someone verify this?
There is some information here regarding that waltz:

http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=633
Alkanator
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Cello
Classical Guitar
Recorders

Post by Alkanator »

It would be really good to be able to find many of Algernon Ashton's lost works, including his alleged 24 piano sonatas in all the major and minor keys.