Piano Holy Grails

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
pianogirl

Piano Holy Grails

Post by pianogirl »

I read on another site (you know where) that there is an alternative, more difficult version of Debussy's La Catedrale Engloute. The requester described it as a "holy grail" and I'm sure he or she, like me, would still love to find that rare copy.

Are there other pieces that are rumoured to exist or are otherwise thought to have been published but not yet been found?

Apologies if a thread like this has already been and gone, like a holy grail itself.

Sheila
isokani
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Piano Holy Grails

Post by isokani »

Pieces that have been lost, or not published and whereabouts of ms not known, or never written down but which I wish we had include:

Enescu: Sonata no.2
Mosolov: Sonata no.3
Sorabji: Toccata no.3
K. Eiges: Humoresque, Etudes etc

any more ideas?
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium

Post by HullandHellandHalifax »

I hadn't heard of the possibility of a different version of the Debussy, that indeed would be interesting to discover.
For my fantasies, I would love to find the Alkan Symphony for orchestra and the 3 lost Sonatas of 1825 by Liszt, especially in this year of his 200th birthday, I would also like to persuade the owner of the manuscript of the Liszt Liebestraume to let me see it as I am convinced the published editions have a few mistakes and when Leslie Howard isn't even allowed to look at it, that only increases my desire.
The Enescu would also be on my list, what a pity it was never recorded let alone written down as I am sure some bright spark could have transcribed it.
regards
Brian
Arjuna
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: No

Post by Arjuna »

There is supposed to have been a 3rd series of Villa-lobos's "Prole do Bebê". Apparently he made a recording of it but never wrote it down. The other two are among my favorite collections of piano pieces so I would really love to hear what the third was like.
Dani_area_51
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by Dani_area_51 »

Guess it would be awesome, for me, that I'm a lover of piano sonatas, and of Prokofiev, to discover his piano sonata 10 or 11, even if they weren't completed...
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

Dani_area_51 wrote:Guess it would be awesome, for me, that I'm a lover of piano sonatas, and of Prokofiev, to discover his piano sonata 10 or 11, even if they weren't completed...
The Tenth was begun, but the Eleventh was only ever on a 'to do' list - I've never heard mention of any written outlines let alone a sketch, though one must presume he had a few notions in his head since it was on his 'to do' list.
Prokofiev op137 Piano Sonata 10 unfinished (ms 2pp).pdf
nms tttos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

Just a note to say that this thread deals with works either sketched or planned or missing.

Hypothetical or imaginary works are dealt with in my thread entitled: Pieces that SHOULD have been written...
which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=469
Dani_area_51
Pianophiliac

Post by Dani_area_51 »

rob wrote:
Dani_area_51 wrote:Guess it would be awesome, for me, that I'm a lover of piano sonatas, and of Prokofiev, to discover his piano sonata 10 or 11, even if they weren't completed...
The Tenth was begun, but the Eleventh was only ever on a 'to do' list - I've never heard mention of any written outlines let alone a sketch, though one must presume he had a few notions in his head since it was on his 'to do' list.
Prokofiev op137 Piano Sonata 10 unfinished (ms 2pp).pdf
Interesting, thank you!!!
Phillip210
Pianophiliac

Post by Phillip210 »

I have always wanted to see the piano solo nocturnes that apparently formed the basis of Falla's 'Nights in the Gardens of Spain'. I have never seen any reference to scores being available and they do not appear in the worklist of the Falla official site: http://www.manueldefalla.com/falla/webs ... 9726200951 .
Dax

Post by Dax »

Ornstein's first 3 sonatas. He played them in concert but never wrote them down. By the time others were interested he'd forgotten them.