Goldenveizer

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Goldenveizer

Post by mballan »

I want to try something a little different here on Pianophilia. I hope to eventually have the vast majority of works by Goldenveiser, but want to attempt to post them slightly differently to what we have done in the past. Below is a brief biography of the composer and a works list. I will on occassions post to that works list and leave a note that a new work is available. Any contributions from other members will also be fed into the main framework. The aim, over time, is to build a comprehensive survey of the composer's music but without creating a meandering list of messages and postings.

For those who have not yet discovered it, I do recommend the Goldenveizer CD by Jonathan Powell on Toccata Label [TOCC 0044….includes Skazka Op 39, Sonata-Fantasie Op 37 & Contrapuntal Sketches Op12]....as noted by Jean-Séb.
" I wish to remind that our Isokani (Jonathan Powell) has recorded piano music by Goldenweiser:
http://www.toccataclassics.com/cddetail.php?CN=TOCC0044
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-LazyzzcW8"

My special thanks to Jonathan for sharing his Goldenveizer scores with me – and hence for all of us on Pianophilia.

Malcolm

Aleksandr Borisovich Gold’enveizer. Born 1875, Kishinev: died 1961, Moscow. Pianist, teacher, composer and writer. Goldenveizer received his training at the Moscow Conservatoire, where he studied with Ziloti and Paul Pabst, graduating in 1895. He went on to complete a degree in composition in 1897 under Arensky, Ippolitov-Ivanov and Taneyev. During this period, Goldenveizer’s formation as a pianist was greatly influenced by his close friendship with Rachmaninov, Scriabin and Medtner.

He made his debut in 1896 as a pianist in a series of duet recitals with Rachmaninov, Taneyev and Goedicke.

During his long career as a teacher, Goldenveizer played a key role in the development of Soviet music education. He began teaching in 1904 at the Moscow Philharmonic School and in 1906 was appointed professor of piano at the Moscow Conservatoire. Here he held many distinguished administrative positions and taught until his death in 1961. One of his greatest educational achievements was the establishment in 1932 of the first Central Special Music School. The school provided talented children aged 7 to 18, with a general education but also included musical training at a professional level and functioned as a preparatory school for the Moscow Conservatoire. The result of his legacy is that there are now 24 Special Music Schools across the Russian Federation.

Goldenveizer has also been credited with establishing the first outstanding Soviet piano school. During his 57 years as a professor of piano he taught over 200 students including Bashkirov, Berman, Blagoy, Feinberg, Fere, Gabuniya, Gunst, Kabalevsky, Nechayev, Nikolayeva, Paperno, Roizman, Rubin, Tamarkina, Voinov and Yevseyev. Goldenveizer’s aesthetics of performance were reflected in his own playing, which was distinguished by a profound insight into the composer’s ideas - a subtle sense for style, and careful adherence to the details of the text.

Goldenveizer composed thee opera, two symphonic suites, a cantata, a string quartet, a piano trio, numerous songs and of course a number of piano pieces. He was also a noted editor of works by classical and romantic composers including the sonatas by Beethoven. He also wrote works around his close friendship with Tolstoy as well as about his life. For his long standing service to Soviet music he was awarded a Doctor of Arts degree in 1940, and made People’s Artist of the Soviet Union in 1947. His apartment was opened in 1959 as a branch of the Glinka Museum of Music Culture.

Op 1 Ten Songs - Voice & Piano (1897-1901 Jurgenson)

Op 2 Two Chorus [words – Tolstoy & Tutchev] (1897 Jurgenson)

Op 3 Trois Pieces - Piano (1897 Jurgenson) 1. Variations on a theme by Mozart 2. Bourée 3. Conte
Goldenveizer A - Op 3 Three Pieces.pdf
Op 4 Quatre Morceaux - Piano (1897 Jurgenson)
1. Melodie sur le Nom “Mischa” 2. Valse 3. Petite Ballade 4. Berceuse
Goldenveizer A - Op 4 Quatre Morceaux.pdf
Op 5 Six Romances – Voice & Piano (1896-1902 Jurgenson)

Op 6 Deux Impromptus - Piano (1902 Jurgenson)

Op 7 Douze Miniatures - Piano (1902 Jurgenson) [No.2 Gavotte posted by alegitor nms ttos]
1. Canon 2. Gavotte 3. Fugetta 4. Mazurka 5. Chant tartare 6. Chant Russe 7. Song without Words 8. Berceuse 9. Etude 10. Improvisation 11. Acrostiche 12. Humoresque
Goldenveizer - Op 7 No. 2 Gavotte.pdf
Op 8 Five Romances – Voice & Piano (1902-03 Jurgenson)

Op 9 Five Romances – Voice & Piano (1902-03 Jurgenson)

Op 10 Deux Preludes in C# minor - Piano (1903 Jurgenson)

Op 11 Collection of Eighty-Six Pieces - Piano [Easy, Medium Difficulty and Difficult] (1931-32 Muzgiz)

Op 12 Contrapuntal Sketches – Piano in 2 vols (1932 Muzgiz)
Goldenveizer A - Op 12 Contrapuntal Sketches Book 1.pdf
Goldenveizer A - Op 12 Contrapuntal Sketches Book 2.pdf
Op 13 Four Romances - Voice & Piano (1930 Rukopis)

Op 14 Four Romances - Voice & Piano (1931 Rukopis)

Op 15 Seventy Pieces [Easy to Medium Difficulty] - Piano (1932-33 Muzgiz)

Op 16 Fifteen Fuguettas - Piano (1936 Iskusst-vo) [NEW]
Goldenveizer A - Op 16 Fifteen Fugues.pdf
Op 17 Six Romances - Voice & Piano [words: Kol’tsova] (1938 Muzgiz)
Goldenveizer A - Op 17 Six Songs.pdf
Op 18 String Quartet in E minor (1869 rev. 1940 Muzgiz)

Op 19 Kabardino-Balkar Songs - Voice & Piano (1941 Rukopis)

Op 20 Kabardino-Balkar Songs & Dances – Piano (1941 Rukopis)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Re: Goldenveizer

Post by mballan »

Op 21 Feast in Time of Plague [after Pushkin] – Opera (1942 Rukopis)

Op 22 The Singers [after Turgenyev] – Opera (1942-43 Rukopis)

Op 23 Russian Suite No. 1 for Orchestra of Russian Folk Instruments (1944 Soviet Kompozitor)

- also arranged Piano solo

Op 24 Russian Suite No. 2 for Orchestra of Russian Folk Instruments (1944 Soviet Kompozitor)

Op 25 Six Romances – Voice & Piano (1944 Soviet Kompozitor)

Op 26 Spring Floods [after Turgenyev] – Opera (1945 Rukopis)

Op 27 “Light of October” Cantata for Chorus & Soloists (1947 CCK)

Op 28 Three Vocalise – Voice & Piano (1948 Rukopis)

Op 29 Five Songs on Verses by Pushkin – Voice & Piano (1948 Soviet Kompozitor)
Goldenveizer A - Op 29 Five Songs.pdf
Op 29 a Song [from Pushkin] for Voice & Orchestra (1947 Rukopos)

Op 30 Nine Pieces - Piano (Muzgiz 1955)
1. Prelude 2. Song 3. Dance 4. Impromptu 5. Slow Waltz 6. Meditation 7. Sketch 8. Caprice 9. In the Past

Op 31 Piano Trio in E minor (1950 Muzgiz)

Op 32 Iz Detskoi Zhizni [“In a Child’s Life” - Thirteen Pieces] - Piano (1950-51 Muzgiz)
1. Song 2. Shutka [Joke or Jest] 3. Canon 4. Children’s Dance 5. Taking a Walk 6. Music Lesson 7. A Quiet Game 8. Dance 9. Narrative 10. Game of hide and seek 11. Fairytale 12. From School to Home 13. Variations on a Folksong theme
Goldenveizer A - Op 32 'In A Child's Life' Thirteen Pieces.pdf
Op 33 Polyphonic Sonatina - Piano (1952 Muzgiz)
Goldenveizer A - Op 33 Polyphonic Sonatina.pdf
Op 34 Four Romances [from Argamakov] – Voice & Piano (1953 Rukopis)

Op 35 Three Pieces - Piano (1951-56 Muzgiz) 1. Prelude 2. Ballade 3. Duet
Goldenveizer A - Op 35 No. 1 Prelude.pdf
Goldenveizer A - Op 35 No. 2 Ballade.pdf
Goldenveizer A - Op 35 No. 3 Duet.pdf
Op 36 Three Romances [from Pushkin] – Voice & Piano (1960 Rukopis)

Op 37 Sonata-Fantasie “Song of Sorrows” [No. 2] - Piano (1958 Muzgiz)
Goldenveizer A - Op 37 Sonata-Fantasy.pdf
Op 38 “Poeme” Duet for Violin & Piano (1958 Murgiz)

Op 39 Skazka - Piano (1959 Murgiz)
Goldenveizer A - Op 39 Skazka.pdf
Op 40 “Faust” music for stage production – Piano [later orchestrated by Bauera] (1897 re. 1961 Rukopis)

Op 41 Miniatures - Piano (1961 Soviet Kompozitor)

Op 42 Recollections - Piano (1961 Rukopis)

Non- Opus:

Piano Sonata (c. 1890)

Fugue for String Orchestra (1894 Muzgiz)

Fourteen Revolutionary Songs (1933 Muzgiz 1933)

Oriental Melody for Cello & Piano [arrnaged from the piano pieces Op 11] (1954 Muzgiz)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Thank you Fleubis, Ilu, Jean-Séb and Alegitor - your contributions have been added to the main text / list with due reference to you.

Thank you for your postings.

The idea I am experimenting with via this thread, is to move away from our usual thread of messages to keeping everything within just a tight framework. We'll see how it goes :D

More Goldenveizer shortly [when my parcel arrives from St Petersburg] !!

Malcolm
feinberg

Post by feinberg »

Ludwig Van Beethoven - 32 Piano Sonatas Edited by A.Goldenweiser, Vol.1

Published by Muzgiz, In 1931

http://www.mediafire.com/?5t2yyag2ennd6pl
http://www.mediafire.com/?k3wm9n1ygu27rn8
http://www.mediafire.com/?o0t5ztoozlvv65d

nms-ttos (Unfortunately, I don't have the scan of Volume 2!)

By the way, Does anybody have these pieces by A.Goldenweiser?

Op 6 Deux Impromptus
Op 7 Douze Miniatures
Op 10 Deux Preludes in C# minor
Op 11 Collection of Eighty-Six Pieces
Op 15 Seventy Pieces
Op 16 Fifteen Fuguettas
Op 20 Kabardino-Balkar Songs & Dances
Op 23 Russian Suite No. 1 for Orchestra of Russian Folk Instruments (1944 Soviet Kompozitor)
Op 24 Russian Suite No. 2 for Orchestra of Russian Folk Instruments (1944 Soviet Kompozitor)
Op 30 Nine Pieces
Op 41 Miniatures
Op 42 Recollections

Thank You!
Jim Faston
Pianomasochist

Post by Jim Faston »

Caprotti wrote:I have problems with the downloaded files : I can't open those either with winrar or recent winzip programs. Anyone with the same problem ?
You'll need to rejoin the three parts then open that file with your unzipper program. The join function of HJSplit works well for this and it's free.

http://www.hjsplit.org/
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

Caprotti wrote:I have problems with the downloaded files : I can't open those either with winrar or recent winzip programs. Anyone with the same problem ?
I have joined the files together and made a B&W version which is quite a bit smaller (but still big :)) than the orginal. It may be downloaded here - http://www.mediafire.com/view/?tllb010h6jzygcw

Regards
Fred
Emil Borisovich Sernov
Pianophiliac

Post by Emil Borisovich Sernov »

Song by A.Goldenveizer

Fantasia - Op.5 No.16
Goldenveizer A - Op 5 No.16 Fantasia.pdf
(nms)
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

New Goldenveizer work posted in the first post of this thread [composer's bio, work list and postings] - this is the Op 16 Fifteen Fugues [highlighted in bold red].

More Goldenveizer to come very shortly.

Malcolm
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

My thanks to feinberg and Fred for gettings us a nice clean Goldenweiser of the 1st volume of the Beethoven Sonatas. For most of my life it has been Tovey & Schnabel, which have served me well but it is nice to see something different in a quality edition and maybe get some new ideas. Let's hope Volume 2 turns up to complete the set.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Alternative alfor scan:

The re-publishers on the sly omitted all (Russian-only) annotations (can be found in feinberg's post)

Goldenweiser = a person giving „golden advice“ (?)

Beethoven Sonata No.7 ed. Goldenweiser.pdf
P.S. Anybody interested in G.'s edition of[/color] Бетховен „Император“ Концерт?
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor