Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by mballan »

As promised...something a little special and extremely rare.

Georgy Mikhailovich Rimsky-Korsakov. Born 1901 St Petersburg: died 1965 same. Acoustician, teacher and composer. Grandson of Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov. Graduated 1926 from the Leningrad Conservatoire, where his teachers included Lyapunov, Nikolayev, Sokolov and Steinberg. In 1929 he completed post-graduate study with Asaf’yev. Held research and teaching positions including at the conservatoire from 1927-62. Was the founder of the Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov museum at Tikhvin. He is most noted as one of the founders of quarter-tone music – he conducted research into music theory, modal rhythm and quarter-tone music and was co-inventor of the emiriton in 1930 – an electronic keyboard instrument which was a precursor of the synthesizer. He composed original works for this instrument. He also established a society of composers which discussed, composed and performed quarter-tone music, and maintained correspondence with Vyshnegradsky in Paris. His innovation and experimentation into quarter-tone music was heavily frown upon by the Soviet authorities and the majority of his music, especially those scores linked to his quarter-tone experiments - were destroyed with the exception of one piece of music later re-discovered amidst papers held by Vyshnegradsky. A chapter on Rimsky-Korsakov can be found in Sitsky's "Music of the Repressed Russian Avant-Garde 1900-1929".

Unfortunately only a handful of works by the composer now exist to my knowledge - and these are probably amongst my rarest scores – three piece by the composer [not utilising quarter tone] – a Pastorale, the Etude in G major and a Perpetum Mobile. These were never published and remain in a legible handwritten manuscript format [this posting by me is dedicated to Daniel, Davide and Oren....all who seem to crave the unusual :D and to Matthew who awoke my interest in this composer].

Malcolm

Perpetum Mobile
Rimsky-Korsakov G - Perpetum Mobile.pdf
Pastorale
Rimsky-Korsakov G - Pastorale.pdf
Etude in G major
Rimsky-Korsakov G - Etude in G major.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dani_area_51
Pianophiliac

Post by Dani_area_51 »

mballan wrote:As promised...something a little special and extremely rare.
Thank you so much, Malcolm. I hope you rested well in your break, and I must say, and I believe I speak for all the pp members, when I say, we all felt like something was missing without your posts. Also, Mr. P must be praised for his efforts here in PP. About the scores, they seem to be amazingly rare, and the handwriting is not a problem at all. Hope you have still more surprises to come, wich I believe you do and let me just make a personal request because I've been waiting for some time for the Yunis Mamedov Piano Sonata, wich I hope you will post someday. Best regards.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Welcome back, Malcolm! And thanks so very much for these very rare scores. It is nice to know that Nikolai's son pursued music to this degree and that we have these interesting pieces. The Etude in C has a lot of merit. Good calligraphy by whomever made these fair copies, too--very easy to read.
moniehof
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by moniehof »

Vissarion Yakovlevich Shebalin (1902-1963)
Shebalin opus 12 three sonatines.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.

Post by lutoslawski »

moniehof wrote:Vissarion Yakovlevich Shebalin (1902-1963)
Thanks for this shebalin works. His style's are characteristics of those like shostakovich and tsintsadze.
Do you know where is there a recording of this works? If you know, can you provide information on performer?

Tony
moniehof

Post by moniehof »

Tony, I don´t know about recordings of Shebalin. Here are some Marutayev (1926-....) pieces:
marutayev - opus 50 sonate.pdf
marutayev - prelude and fuga.pdf
marutayev - pictures.pdf
marutayev - fantasy.pdf
marutayev - etudes.pdf
moniehof

Post by moniehof »

Dzegelyonok (1891-1969):
Dzegelyonok opus 3 no 2 Humoreske.pdf
moniehof

Post by moniehof »

Yevseyev (1894-1956):
Yevseyev opus 3 no 2 Prelude.pdf
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

mballan wrote:As promised...something a little special and extremely rare.

Georgy Mikhailovich Rimsky-Korsakov...Unfortunately only a handful of works by the composer now exist to my knowledge
Hi Malcolm,

thank you for these rarities by Grimsky-Korsaknov's grandson!
There should be also 24 Preludes (1922-55) and 2 sonatas (1924, 1932). Do you know if they still exist??

best regards

alfor
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
moniehof

Post by moniehof »

Yulian Krein (1913-1996):

Piece a la memoire de Paul Dukas (1936)
Krein (Yulian), a la memoire de Paul Dukas.pdf