Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by fleubis »

I will look forward to the 4th sonata--which I admit to NOT being familiar with. Not having to sort through it to develop my own fingering by using YOUR fingering makes it a worthwhile effort. Alas very few concert pianists make it here to Panama, and none ( count 'em, NONE ) make it up here to our tiny little village--although a small chamber ensemble occasionally find their way here and this month we have the Jazz & Blues Festival.

So switching to vegetarian? It's a good start on the way to becoming Vegan, which I am. Good luck! :D
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

fleubis wrote:
So switching to vegetarian? It's a good start on the way to becoming Vegan, which I am. Good luck! :D
I've been a vegetarian for many years.
As we have a big rabbit among the PP members, I just wanted to give the all-clear. ;) :!:
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac
Music Scores: No

Post by soh choon wee »

alfor wrote:
fleubis wrote:Very nice job on the fingering here, Alfred. Appreciate having this as it's the only Prokofieff sonata I play in full. I did find a couple of surprises, too!
You are welcome, dear fleubis!

I am afraid, Prokofiev never made it to Panama... :mrgreen:

...but he made an excellent recording of the 2nd mvt. of Sonata No. 4,
which will be my next fingering task (the complete Sonata).

alfor (vegetarian; neither eating rabbits nor any other animals;
recently also stopped eating his own species :mrgreen: )
What is this part about Prokofiev going and not arriving to Panama? I did not read his biography.

Please, ALFOR, I would love to see your Prokofiev 7,8 and 6 sonata fingering.....
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

alfor wrote:Sergei S. PROKOFIEV (Prokofieff):
Sonata No. 3 op. 28

alfor fingered

Next to No. 7 his most popular and most easily accessible sonata.

The following editions have been consulted:
Murray Baylor (Alfred Publishing)
Boris Berman (SMPH)
Emil Frey (Benjamin)
Gyorgy Sandor (MCA Music)

Still missing in my collection:
Harry Cumpson (Leeds Music Corp.)
Isidor Philipp (IMC)
Prokofiev Sonata 3 op.28 fingered.pdf
I have been using Murray Baylor and Gyorgy Sandor edition. I think the Boris Berman is a Chinese Edition (SMPH in my understanding is based in Shanghai)

I have never see Emil Frey Edition of Prokofiev, how is it? (Not sure should I ask for a scan???)
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

soh choon wee wrote:I have been using Murray Baylor and Gyorgy Sandor edition. I think the Boris Berman is a Chinese Edition (SMPH in my understanding is based in Shanghai)

I have never see Emil Frey Edition of Prokofiev, how is it? (Not sure should I ask for a scan???)
Yes, SMPH is a Chinese publisher and western customers can get the SMPH editions at a sale price
through amazon.cn.

The Frey edition is still in print and under EU-copyright.
The fingering is not really good, imho.

Although I did change quite a couple of B. Berman's fingering, he nevertheless did an excellent job.
Other than Emil Frey, he frequently performed the works in public!

soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

I owned an SMPH edition of Prokofiev (2 volumes) --- entirely in CHINESE, and nothing mentioned of Borris Berman as the editor!!!!!

ENTIRELY in Chinese........ could I ask you if your SMPH edition is in CHINESE? or in English?? I am curious.
alfor
Pianodeity

Post by alfor »

soh choon wee wrote:I owned an SMPH edition of Prokofiev (2 volumes) --- entirely in CHINESE, and nothing mentioned of Borris Berman as the editor!!!!!

ENTIRELY in Chinese........ could I ask you if your SMPH edition is in CHINESE? or in English?? I am curious.
In my edition the foreword (by Boris Berman, written in 2009) and all footnotes are
both in Chinese AND in English. Paper and binding quality is good, typesetting and
printing quality unfortunately are far from perfect - some fingerings are placed in a way
that they are hardly readable.

soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

alfor wrote:
soh choon wee wrote:I owned an SMPH edition of Prokofiev (2 volumes) --- entirely in CHINESE, and nothing mentioned of Borris Berman as the editor!!!!!

In my edition the foreword (by Boris Berman, written in 2009) and all footnotes are
both in Chinese AND in English. Paper and binding quality is good, typesetting and
printing quality unfortunately are far from perfect - some fingerings are placed in a way
that they are hardly readable.
I am not surprised..... I always buy it from china directly (and it is much cheaper), but the paper are poor quality (frequently is rough and greyish), but excellent content -- many are licensed reprints of Henle, Vienna-Urtext, Peters, Boosey-H, Durand etc.....
it is a steal to purchased the latest PWM Eiker Chopin and Budapest Liszt from China. It is not even available on TaoBao (the Chinese Amazon)
Such licensed reprints, unfortunately, are not available outside China. It is therefore worthwile to tour China yearly.
Timtin
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: Piano40

Post by Timtin »

My favourite Prokofiev piano sonata is his first, both to listen
to and to play. The 7/8 finale of No.7 feels so unnatural.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised that all this chat about Prokofiev's
piano sonatas isn't in the Prokofiev thread.
soh choon wee
Pianophiliac

Post by soh choon wee »

Hi, Alfor
Still keenly awaiting your excellent fingering for Prokofiev 7, 8, and 6 sonata --- in order of preference.

Thank you, and that will be a most excellent Chinese new year gift for all Chinese in this forum.