Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Pianoman
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by Pianoman »

Hi all,

I want to buy BOTH volumes of "Etudes pour Monique" by Joseph Strimer but I can't find Volume 1 anywhere...

Any help?
Thanks.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Pianoman wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:07 pm Hi all,

I want to buy BOTH volumes of "Etudes pour Monique" by Joseph Strimer but I can't find Volume 1 anywhere...

Any help?
Thanks.
Both were published by Durand, so email them and ask about obtaining a copy of both volumes. Also the BnF has both volumes, but they might refuse because of copyright, as Strimer died in 1962, unless you can get permission from Durand. Two options to consider.

Malcolm
Pianoman
Pianophiliac

Post by Pianoman »

mballan wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:14 pm
Pianoman wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:07 pm Hi all,

Any help?
Thanks.
Both were published by Durand, so email them and ask about obtaining a copy of both volumes. Also the BnF has both volumes, but they might refuse because of copyright, as Strimer died in 1962, unless you can get permission from Durand. Two options to consider.

Malcolm
Thanks!
musiclife217
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by musiclife217 »

bingo wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:58 am
musiclife217 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:42 am does anyone have already a typeset version of the Rachmaninoff arrangement of the Nunc Dimittis from his Vespers, Op. 37?
Try this: https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7405115
That would be it, thank you! Saved me some time.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

Scriabinoff wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:29 pm
caostotale wrote:I can't understand the handwriting at all, but here is my 'table of contents'. It would appear that the editors 'processed' (обработка) most of the works and the others (1,3,4,9, and 20) are 'transposed'. Pretty much all of the composers are of the 'popular' or 'light' variety of Soviet musicians who wrote lots of film music, popular songs, and the like. We've seen some names, like Tsfasman's, in other similar volumes. I've mostly seen these names in volumes of popular piano/accordion-accompanied songs:
I think the distinction is between "arranged" where the piece was not already in tango form, and "transcribed" where it was a pre-existing tango and may have been taken from a recording. Our old friend, the indefatigable Artur Polonsky did most of the arranging/transcribing. In other/later volumes where these works appear - somes lightly edited - his name is not attached.
Tangoes, for piano ('Music for Leisure' series) (1983) (edited and compiled by A. Polonsky)

(Soviet composers)
[<snip>

(foreign composers)
17. P. ABRAHAM (Hungary) - Tangolita, from the operetta 'Ball at the Saba'
18. F. ALFANO (Argentina) - Muchacho
19. K. BRUN (France) - Parisian Tango
20. A. VILLOLDO (Argentina) - Argentine Tango
21. E. KARRARA (France) - Abandonado
22. N. MENENDEZ (Brazil) - Green Grass
23. H. EBERHARDT (Germany) - Red Rose
Completing my resetting of this volume of tangos, I found that the section on foreign composers was a bit of a mess, with altered names and composer misattributions. Cyrillic phonetic translations are always a b**** when French names are involved e.g. K.BRUN = C.BRUHN. I wonder whether the research was done by some kid on work experience, or Polonsky was sneaking in some Western music under the radar.

While researching the pieces I found a number of recordings or performance videos by Russian musicians all following these misattributions. It appears that other published arrangements for guitar, and other ensembles repeated the errors.

Here is what I believe to be the actual pieces
17. Paul ABRAHAM (Hungary) - Tangolita , from the operetta "Ball at the Savoy" (Ball im Savoy) https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7427195
18. Julio César SANDERS (Argentina) - Adios Muchachos https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7431005 (Franco Alfano is an Italian composer)
19. Christian BRUHN (France) - Paris un tango (famously sung by Mireille Mathieu) https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7431497
- this 1971 popular song also appears in the 1989 collection "Dance Music of the Thirties"!
20. Angel VILLOLDO (Argentina) - El Choclo (not just any old Argentine Tango!) https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7431659
21. Emile CARRARA (France) - Abandonado https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7433018
22. Nilo MENENDEZ (Cuba/USA) - Aquellos Ojos Verdes (Green Eyes) https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7433024
23. Hans EBERHARDT (Germany) - Eine rote Rose im schwarzen Haar (A Red Rose in Black Hair) https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7433033
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Some new albums from the Aperock Russian Music website.

The Boiko album has been shared previously, but this is a much cleaner copy.
Boiko R - Childrens Album (Soviet Composer 1979).pdf

Khagogortyan E - Childrens Album (1964).pdf
Khagogortyan E - Children’s Album (1964)
1. Song
2. Joke
3. Little Berceuse
4. Dance
5. Scherzo

Korganov T - Album of Piano Pieces (Soviet Composer 1987).pdf
Korganov T - Album of Piano Pieces (Soviet Composer 1987)
FIRST NOTEBOOK
1. In the mountains
2. By the forest lake
3. On the river
4. Talkers
5. Conversation
6. Argument
7. Quarrel
8. Good mood
SECOND NOTEBOOK
1. Summer day
2. Amazing dream
3. Sad song
4. Burlesque
5. Merry bells
6. Bells
7. Old waltz
8. On the way
THIRD NOTEBOOK
1. Mirrors
2. Variations
3. Toccatina
4. Prelude
5. Fugue
6. Ostinato
7. March
8. Improvisation
9. Anxiety
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Three more new albums from the Aperock site.

Metallidi Zh - 'House with a Bell' Pieces for Beginners (Soviet Composer 2000).pdf
‘House with a Bell’ Pieces for Beginners (Soviet Composer 2000)
1. Two Cats
2. Barbie Doll
3. Winter, outside the window
4. Blizzard
5. Whining
6. Balloon
7. Toy Railway
8. Skipping
9. Moon Path
10. Forest Monster
FOUR-HAND ENSEMBLES
11. House with a Bell
12. Sleepy Elephant
13. Rainy Song
14. At night a dream comes to us
15. On the cheerful side
16. In a Boat
17. Sad Clown
18. Ride, my Horse
19. Arietta
20. Magpie News

Metallidi Zh - 'I go, and look around' Album of Piece for Piano &amp; 4 hands (Kompozitor 1999).pdf
‘I go, and look around’ Pieces for Piano & 4 hands (Kompozer 1999)
1. Walking, looking around
2. In the Summer garden
3. Forgotten Doll
4. Magic Glass
5. Monkeys are sad for Africa
6. Dance of the Penguins

Ziv M - 'Walk through the Keys' Pieces for Piano &amp; 4 hands (Soviet Composer 1981).pdf
Walk on the Keys – Piano / 4 hands (Soviet Composer 1981)
1. Spring puddles
2. Lingering
3. Catch
4. Resentment
5. Wildflowers
6. Ancient dance
7. Premonition
8. Light and shadow
9. Running machine: (Sketch)
10. Mashenka Tale
11. We walk
12. Spindle
13. Melody Movie: (‘Ballad of a Soldier’)
14. Ballet
15. Autumn rain
16. Melodious echo
17. Over bumps
18. Meditation
19. Walk on the keys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

Boris Tikhonovich Kozhevnikov
Бори́с Ти́хонович Коже́вников
(1906-1985)
KOZHEVNIKOV.Boris Waltz [Gottlieb].pdf
listen: https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7591952

Found in "Popular pop works of Soviet and foreign composers Vol.3" (ed Kachalin) 1964, from the well-known Russian site.

Boris Kozhevnikov (30 Nov 1906, Novgorod, Ukraine - 8 April 1985, Moscow) was a prolific composer of music for Soviet bands.

He attended the Kharkov Music-Dramatic Institute, where he studied composition and conducting, graduating in 1933. He later attended the Military School of Music in Moscow. He was the conductor at several theaters and a faculty member of the Moscow Conservatory. He wrote a handful of orchestral works and over 70 pieces for Soviet military bands, including five numbered symphonies for band. His music was discovered by the West only after the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Iron Curtain in the 1990s. He is still much better known in Russia than anywhere else, although his Symphony No. 3, Slavyanskaya, enjoys popularity in the U.S. thanks to an edition that former Marine Band commander John R. Bourgeois created for American bands in 1995. Although Kozhevnikov wrote Slavyanskaya in 1950, it did not receive its first performance in the U.S. until the late 1990s.

From http://musstrateg.blogspot.com/2021/05/1976-2lp.html (which also includes the transcriber Mikhail Gottlieb 1907-1978)
For more than thirty-five years Boris Tikhonovich Kozhevnikov, Honored Art Worker of the RSFSR, Associate Professor of the Military Conducting Department at the Moscow Conservatory, has been combining intensive creative work with pedagogical work. The composer created five symphonies, overtures, poems, suites, marches. Among the monumental works of the epic-heroic plan are the Second Symphony, dedicated to the Great Patriotic War, the Fourth Symphony, reflecting the events of October 1917. Adjacent to this type of writing and "Epic about military feat." The listeners are invariably captivated by the composer's lyrical images and fervent genre scenes, reproducing the elements of folk humor and fun. Similar moods prevail in the First and Third Symphonies, in the Festive Overture, as well as in the recently completed Fifth Symphony, dedicated to the builders of the Baikal-Amur Mainline. For active work on the creation of heroic-patriotic works for the orchestras of the Soviet Armed Forces, B. T. Kozhevnikov was awarded the A. V. Alexandrov medal.

Honored Art Worker of the RSFSR Mikhail Davidovich Gottlieb won wide fame among music lovers as an excellent pianist, a member of the first piano duet in our country - Adolf and Mikhail Gottlieb, and as a composer, author of numerous piano transcriptions, as well as bright and interesting works for a brass band. Among them are the Concerto for Saxophone and Orchestra, Serenade, Burlesque, suites and marches, which have been repeatedly noted at competitions.
tonylucuchu
Music Scores: No

Post by tonylucuchu »

Does anyone have any recordings of Saparov's piano sonatas?
bingo
Site Admin

Post by bingo »

Alexander Kuzmich VUSTIN (Voustin, Wustin)
Алекса́ндр Кузьми́ч Ву́стин
(1943-2020)
VUSTIN Hommage Debussy (1978).pdf
[NMS]
listen: https://musescore.com/user/4151271/scores/7625765

Obituary: https://operawire.com/obituary-composer ... lications/