Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by lutoslawski »

mballan wrote:
lutoslawski wrote:Malcolm,

Can you help me by chance some information on a recording of Mamedov - Symphonic Variation - Conducted by Niyazi
I dont know the first name of Mamedov. By chance you can find his first name? According to mhermann, its Yunis Mamedov born in Uzbekistan.

Do you have any information on this composer?

Tony
Hi Ilu and Tony

Actually the symphonic variations is by a different Mamedov - you want Ibrahim Mamedov. Born 1928. Graduated 1954 from the Azerbaijan Conservatoire, where he studied with Zeidman. He taught at the conservatoire from 1960.
Works:
Symphony No. 1 "Heroic" (1954)
Symphony No. 2 (1973)
Solemn Overture for orchestra (1966)
Ballet Suite (1958)
Quintet
Preludes for piano
Overture for two pianos
cantatas
songs

The variations are for violin and orchestra (composed 1952) and the only recording was on the Melodiya label [D 02392/3] with A. Aliev as the soloist, with the Azerbaijan Symphony Orchestra conducted by Niyazi.

Malcolm
Ahh interesting. 2 mamedovs ...

Thanks,

Tony
ilu
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by ilu »

Tony:

Thank you for the info; maybe his works are in copyright, but a sample of a piano score would be great!

Ilu.
Quo melius Illac
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.

Post by lutoslawski »

ilu wrote:Tony:

Thank you for the info; maybe his works are in copyright, but a sample of a piano score would be great!

Ilu.
I am unlikely to have any piano scores of such obscure russian name. But i hope malc does :D
Here is the symphonic variations i uploaded. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-j1BiTU9O4

All best,

Tony
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Hi Tony & Ilu

I only have the piano sonata by the Mamedov that Ilu mentioend earlier on this thread - YUNIS MAMEDOV, which I shall post eventually. I've nothing by Ibrahim Mamedov.....yet !!

Malcolm
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Malcolm:

Thank you, we will be waiting for this rarity.

Ilu.
Quo melius Illac
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

A couple of considered rarities:

Vladimir Mikhailovich Deshevov. Born 1889, St Petersburg: died 1955, same. Composer, teacher and member of the PROLETKULT. Deshevov studied piano privately with Pashchenko in 1906, then continued his training in piano and composition at the St Petersburg Conservatoire (1908-14). His teachers included Kalafati, Lyadov, L Nikolayev, Steinberg and Vinkler. He served in the Russian army during World War I and in 1917 became secretary of the People’s Music Education Committee in Yelizavetgrad, a post he held until 1919. In 1920 he founded the Sevastopol Conservatoire, and two years later became director of music education in Ukraine. From 1922-33 he was director of music at the Leningrad Theatre and taught in various Leningrad music schools.

Deshevov’s association with the PROLETKULT was no doubt due to his work in popular music education, but is also of interest because it suggests that the verbal battle between the PROLETKULT and the Association of Contemporary Music (ASM) was founded more on ideological than musical grounds.

Deshevov’s piano music reflected the ethos of his time…from works that could be compared to the early works by Prokofiev or Rosvalets – as seen through his Scherzo [Op 6] or Meditations [Op 3] - to later works after 1930 that tried to reflect realist music in the approved Soviet manner.

I have been after the Op 1 No. 2 Marche for a considerable period….now here duly shared with fellow members. I have also included some of the other Deshevov works that we have posted on PP over the past 18 month including the wonderful Op 1 No.1 Etude [my thanks to the original scanners].

Op 1 Deux Morceaux
No. 1 Etude:
Deshevov V - Op 1 No. 1 Etude.pdf
No.2 Marche: [NEW]
Deshevov V - Op 1 No. 2 Marche.pdf
Op 6 Scherzo
Deshevov V - Op 6 Scherzo.pdf
Op 7 Ballade
Deshevov V - Op 7 Ballade.pdf
Op 16 Rails
Deshevov V - Op 16 Rails.pdf
M Gazen [M Hasen]. I can find absolutely nothing about this composer beyond he edited some works by Gozenpud, and that I suspect he may be a Georgian composer. [Turn out Gazen or Hazen is actually Gozenpud...they are one and the same composer]

His beautiful Deux Poemes Op 5
Gazen M - Op 5 Deux Poemes.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Many thanks for the Deshevov pieces, Malc. The only piece of his I'm familiar with is Rails, of which there is a nice performance on YouTube. The variety of his compositions is quite broad.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

mballan wrote:M Gazen [M Hasen]. I can find absolutely nothing about this composer beyond he edited some works by Gozenpud, and that I suspect he may be a Georgian composer.
His Sonata op. 10 posted in 2009_
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=554&p=2409&hilit=gazen#p2409

updated download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?qynttfxyyiz
Last edited by alfor on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

While playing through the many lovely Alexandrov pieces, I found that Op.60, "Echos of the Theatre" is corrupt. Anyone have a copy handy? Thanks in advance.
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

fleubis wrote:While playing through the many lovely Alexandrov pieces, I found that Op.60, "Echos of the Theatre" is corrupt. Anyone have a copy handy? Thanks in advance.
This one is OK...
alexandrov - op. 60 echoes of the theatre.pdf
Regards
FRed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.