Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Crow
Instruments played, if any: piano
Music Scores: Yes

Elegie by Dobroven (1917)

Post by Crow »

Elegy composed by Isay Dobroven, dedicated to Olga Aleksandrovna Semenova.
Moscow edition by P. Jurgenson (number 37163), release between February and October 1917.
Dobroven_Elegie.pdf

Elegy published in the tragic "failure" between the two russian revolutions of 1917. Lev Kunin's epigraph accurately conveys the character and the music and the atmosphere of the time:

If the room is dim suites,
And languishing sobs piano
I feel so sad, so painful, so sorry ...
Tears of happiness, if I want that.

Isay Aleksandrovich Dobroven (original name is Itzchok Barabeychik) - Russian pianist (born in Nizny Novgorod) of revolutionary times - known historical episode from the life of Lenin: the writer Maxim Gorky, taking in the party with Lenin, and invited his old friend, the musician; Dobroven played them Chopin and Beethoven. This case Gorky later described in his literary essay "B. I. Lenin ":
One evening, in Moscow, in the apartment of E. P. Peshkova, Lenin, listening
Beethoven sonatas played by Isai Dobroven, said:
- I know nothing better «Appassionata», ready to listen to it every day.
Amazing, superhuman music. I have always been proud, perhaps naive, child, I think: that's what miracles can make people - and, squinting, grinning, he added sadly: - But often listen to music I can not get on your nerves, you want sweet nothings to say and stroke on the heads of people who, living in a filthy hell, can create such beauty. A pat on the back today, no one can be - arm bite, and ought to hit on the head, beat ruthlessly, although we would ideally against any violence against people. Hmm - hellishly difficult position.

In the Soviet film "Appassionata", filmed in 1963 based on these events, Lenin (Actor Boris Smirnov), listening to the Dobroven's playing (actor-pianist Rudolf Kerer), mentally delivers stunning text, arguing with Gerbert Wells science fiction:
" No, Mr. Wells, the future - it's not a symphony of horror and gloom, the future - is Beethoven! Through struggle and suffering - to the joy. How true! Of course, the future - this is not a war of the worlds, not battle predators from the planet Mars. The near future - it is the cleansing fire of the liberation movement, the light in Africa, India, China, all over the world. And, of course, of course - Human ... What a giant Beethoven! And what a challenge - music strike sparks from the heart! " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE80aVH1YXw

Many years later Dobroven somehow wrote in his memoirs, that night played Pathetique Sonata. However, it is doubtful that Maxim Gorky has mixed names (essay was written just a few years later). More likely forgetfulness of Dobroven - because by the time it passed memories for decades.
See this item to: https://www.starinnye-noty.ru/%D1%80%D1 ... %B9%D0%BD/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Crow on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitry
Emil Borisovich Sernov
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by Emil Borisovich Sernov »

Great thanks for this rare Jurgenson Edition.
Emil Borisovich Sernov
Pianophiliac

Does anybody have '3 Pieces' by Mark Naumovich Meichik? These were published by P. Jurgenson in 1909.
Thank You!
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thank you Crow for the lovely Dobroven Elegy and relating the incident about Lenin. I must say that actor playing Lenin in that field looks to be his twin brother.
caostotale
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: guitar, bass guitar

Post by caostotale »

I was glancing through the back pages of this thread and realized that, for some reason, I never posted this volume of pieces by Turkmen composer Nury Khalmamedov (at least not publicly). At Fleubis' request, Malcolm shared the 'Sounds of the Dutar' piece, but here's the rest of the book. Thanks to fleubis for bringing this video of 'Sounds of the Dutar' to my attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ArEchp4nw

From that video's caption:
Nury Khalmamedov (1940-1983) was a native Turkmen composer in the Soviet era. After studying at Moscow conservatory with Anatoly Alexandrov, he composed serious orchestral works like symphonic poem "Turkmenistan"(1963) and "Symphony No.1"(1968) while composing many film music like "Plunge"(1965). Symphony was the first Symphony composed by Turkmen composers (Mukhatov's Symphony No.1 was composed in 1974). Unfortunately he died at 44 (I don't know how he died). He wrote some piano pieces, mostly in his early period when he was studying under Anatoly Alexandrov. They are precious because there are quite small number of composers in the central Asia writing works for solo piano. This piece "Sound of Dutar"(1962) imitates the sound of dutar, traditional folk instruments with pic at least in Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. It evokes some pieces imitating guitar like Albeniz's "Asturias". This piece has been beloved in Turkemenistan and there are some other performaces on YouTube.

Nury KHALMAMEDOV (Turkmenistan)
Selected Works, for piano (pub. 1972)

including:
p. 03 - To You (Dedication)
p. 07 - Sounds of the Dutar (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutar )
p. 18 - Preludes (2)
p. 24 - Ballade
p. 28 - Elegiac Prelude & Fugue
p. 40 - Theme & Variations
Khalmamedov - Selected Works, for piano (1972).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emil Borisovich Sernov
Pianophiliac

Hello Members,
Does anybody have these works by Lazare Saminsky?
Op.17 No.3 Second Tale
Op.17 No.4 Vision

Thank you!
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Emil Borisovich Sernov wrote:Does anybody have '3 Pieces' by Mark Naumovich Meichik? These were published by P. Jurgenson in 1909.
Thank You!
Emil

Alas I do not have a copy, but apparently there is a copy listed with the British Library.

Malcolm
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Yakov Stepanovich Stepovy [Yakimenko] (1883-1921)

Over the years, I have posted a number of works by Stepovy (brother to Akimenko) - one set is earlier in this thread, and the remainder are in the Russian & Soviet Composers - part 2 thread in the Archive section. With the following posting we now have the vast majority of piano works by Stepovy available on Pianophilia.

Through a friend in Ukraine - who did the scanning - I have been able to fill a number of gaps by this somewhat elusive Ukrainian composer.

I have also posted a piece 'Cantabile' for Cello & Piano, and a piece 'Romance' for Violin & Piano, in the Instrumental section.

Malcolm

Translation of pieces as follows:

Op 5 Quatre Morceaux (apologies, some heavy shadowing along the left or right margins - owing to trying to scan a large volume)
1. Valse in B minor
2. Elegy in A minor
3. Minuet in C major
4. Danse in C major
Stepovy Y - Op 5 Quatre Morceaux.pdf
Op 7 Sept Morceaux
1. Impromptu in G minor
2. Danse in G minor
3. Berceuse
4. Prelude in A minor
5. Valse in D minor
6. Memories
7. Danse in D minor
Stepovy Y - Op 7 Sept Morceaux.pdf
Op 9 Trois Morceaux
1. Prelude in B minor
2. Mazurka in Eb major
3. Song without Words in G minor

Op 10 Cinq Miniatures
1. Petite Valse
2. Prelude in D minor
3. Prelude in E major
4. Nibi Dance
5. Petite Poeme
Stepovy Y - Op 9 Trois Morceaux & Op 10 Cinq Miniatures.pdf
Op 11 Two Preludes (1912-13)
1. G minor
2. D minor
Stepovy Y - Op 11 Deux Preludes (1912-13).pdf
Op 12 Two Preludes
1. F major
2. F minor
Stepovy Y - Op 12 Deux Preludes.pdf
Cossack Nachay (March)
Stepovy Y - Cossack Nechay (March).pdf
Three Ukrainian Folksongs - arr. Piano solo
1. Oh, in the garden by the gorge [G major]
2. Cossacks, it is not alright [F minor]
3. Maxim Cossack [A major]
Stepovy Y - Three Ukrainian Folksongs - arr. Piano solo.pdf
Phillip210
Pianophiliac

Post by Phillip210 »

mballan wrote:Yakov Stepanovich Stepovy [Yakimenko] (1883-1921)

Over the years, I have posted a number of works by Stepovy (brother to Akimenko) - one set is earlier in this thread, and the remainder are in the Russian & Soviet Composers - part 2 thread in the Archive section. With the following posting we now have the vast majority of piano works by Stepovy available on Pianophilia........
Stepovy Y - Three Ukrainian Folksongs - arr. Piano solo.pdf
Thank you so much - I really look forward to playing these!
Emil Borisovich Sernov
Pianophiliac

mballan wrote:
Emil Borisovich Sernov wrote:Does anybody have '3 Pieces' by Mark Naumovich Meichik? These were published by P. Jurgenson in 1909.
Thank You!
Emil

Alas I do not have a copy, but apparently there is a copy listed with the British Library.

Malcolm
Dear Malcolm
Thank you for the information and scores. I didn't know Fyodor Akimenko had a brother....