Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
parag
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by parag »

lutoslawski wrote:Malc,

Can you help me provide some information on the following composers?

D.Khakhanov
Eduard Khagagortian

Thank you very much,

Tony
Tony, Grove has the following on the latter:

Khagagortian, Eduard (Aramovich)

(b Tbilisi, 15 July 1930; d Moscow, 3 Jan 1983). Armenian composer. He learnt the violin in Tbilisi music schools before he studied composition with Egiazarian at the Yerevan Conservatory (graduating in 1954) and then with Aram Khachaturian at the Moscow Conservatory (graduating in 1964). He was later Khachaturian’s assistant at the conservatory and the Gnesin Institute. He became a board member of the Composers’ Union in 1964 and was deputy to the chairman of the board of the Moscow branch in 1970. In 1973 he became deputy editor of the publishers Sovetskiy kompozitor and was nominated Honoured Representative of the Arts of the RSFSR in 1979. He is considered to have made a signifcant contribution to the musical culture of the former USSR. He is a composer with an outstanding lyrical and dramatic gift, and this, coupled with his expertise in the area of folk music (of which he made several recordings) defined his compositional style. His ability to think on the broadest scale and his mastery of orchestral colour attracted him to the writing of symphonic works and music for the theatre and for film.
WORKS

(selective list)

Str Qt, 1949; Blbul yev vard [The Nightingale and the Rose] (ballet, after A. Isahakyan), Yerevan, 1954; Sona (ballet, 3, A. Gharibyan), Yerevan, 1956; Shun u katun [The Cat and the Dog] (children’s comic op, 2, after H. Tumanyan), Yerevan, 1957; Pf Qnt, 1960; Sym. no.1, 1962; Sym. no.2, str orch, 1965; Cl Conc., 1966; Sym. no.3, solo org, 1969; Hp Conc., 1970; Sym. no.4, 1973; Shapka s ushami [The Cap with Earflaps] (children’s comic op, 3, N. Sats and N. Polyakov, after Tumanyan), Moscow, 1976; Str Qt, 1976; Sonata, fl, 1979; Sonata, vc, 1979; Sym. no.5, chbr chorus, orch incl. Armenian folk insts, 1980; Karinė (musical comedy), Moscow, 1981; Vn Conc., 1983; over 100 film scores; pf cycles
BIBLIOGRAPHY

Ye. Dolinskaya: ‘Sochineniye redkogo zhanra’ [A composition of a rare genre], SovM (1973), no.8, pp.17–19

Ye. Orlova and V. Likht: ‘Mir chudom predstayot peredo mnoy: zametki o muzïke E. Khagagortyan’ [The world appears before me as a miracle: notes on the music of Khagagortian], SovM (1982), no.2, pp.21–6

E. Khagagortian: Stat'i, vospominaniya [Articles and reminiscences], ed. Ye. Dolinskaya (Moscow, 1987)

YELENA DOLINSKAYA
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

lutoslawski wrote:Malc,

Can you help me provide some information on the following composers?

D.Khakhanov
Eduard Khagagortian

Thank you very much,

Tony
Tony

The attached is on Khakhanov [WORD document] - as there was rather a lot of information on the composer I ran it through a translation programme, so English is a bit disjointed but nonetheless understandable.

Malcolm
Khakhanov Dudar Solomonovich.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caprotti
Pianomaniac

Post by Caprotti »

nms
Alexandrov - 111 - Due pezzi.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
parag
Site Admin

Rachmaninov Preludes

Post by parag »

A while ago, the attached score of Rachmaninov's Op. 23 No.4 score was shared on Pianophilia... this score distributes the hands cleverly and has some decent fingering ideas. Could the original poster or anyone else who knows tell me details about the edition this score comes from? If not a hassle, would it be possible for someone to share the entire set of preludes? Does this have Op.23 only or also has the other preludes?

Thanks,
Parag
Rachmaninov Prelude op 23 no 4.pdf
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Re: Rachmaninov Preludes

Post by alfor »

parag wrote:A while ago, the attached score of Rachmaninov's Op. 23 No.4 score was shared on Pianophilia... this score distributes the hands cleverly and has some decent fingering ideas. Could the original poster or anyone else who knows tell me details about the edition this score comes from? If not a hassle, would it be possible for someone to share the entire set of preludes? Does this have Op.23 only or also has the other preludes?

Thanks,
Parag
This edition is from Alfred (not me!!) Masterworks, edited by Murray Baylor (available are the complete Preludes in 2 vols. and a 113 pages vol. "Selected works".)
All of these are still available (very reasonable prices!):
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/search?q= ... off+baylor

Also highly recommendable from the Alfred Masterworks series are the Ravel, Mussorgsky and Faure editions by Nancy Bricard!!
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/search?q=bricard
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Caprotti wrote:nms
Thanks for the Alexandrov Op.111, Caprotti.....I didn't know his opuses went this high as I only have up to Op.93, attached here in the hope that someone can translate the title.
Alexandrov - op93.pdf
Allan

Post by Allan »

fleubis wrote:I didn't know his opuses went this high as I only have up to Op.93, attached here in the hope that someone can translate the title.
"Four Songs"

1. Elegie Pathetique -- (The Farewell of Bestuzhev and Anna from the film "Northern Tale")
2. Waltz
3. Fairy Tale (Could also be read as "Folk Tale")
4. Foxtrot
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

fleubis wrote:.....the hope that someone can translate the title.
Four Pieces op93 1967
1. Elegie pathetique*
2. Valse
3. Skazka (Fairytale)
4. Foxtrot

*The Elegie has been adapted from a passage in a filmscore:
Farewell of Pavel Bestuzhev & Anna Jakobsen from the film 'Tale of the North' (Severnaya Povest), which refers to a film by Valentin Zubkov: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentin_Zubkov
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189993/

Postscript: Allan beat me to it whilst I researched the film!
fleubis
Pianomasochist

Post by fleubis »

Thanks for the translation Alan and Rob. I note that the film is vintage 1960, so I guess that 1967 date is a little off. It is a pretty elegy in a pretty obscure film, but I like it the music.
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

fleubis wrote:Thanks for the translation Alan and Rob. I note that the film is vintage 1960, so I guess that 1967 date is a little off. It is a pretty elegy in a pretty obscure film, but I like it the music.
IMDB gives the film release date in Finland as 1968. But Wikipedia says the film was made in 1960 (in the USSR). The opus number 93 suggests 1966 or 1967 as the date the pieces were put together. It is only the first piece that is mentioned as being derived from the filmscore.

This is pretty much as much information as I could find quickly from the usual very reliable sources. I have a worklist derived from Onno von Rijan and several other sources if anyone wants it. Oddly I didn't put it on Wikipedia which is what I usually do when I've concocted a fairly full worklist.

We have alrteady shared a great deal of Anatoly Alexandrov here which you may not know - especially during the previous two incarnations of PP - IGOD82 being a particlar hero I seem to remember.

Rob