Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
fleubis
Pianomasochist
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by fleubis »

mballan wrote:In most circumstances we try to discourage any postings of works by Khachaturyan as they are still very much in copyright and in modern printings.......but there is one work that has for some strange reason remains very elusive, and I have yet to see either published or available outside of Russia.....his last piano work, composed in the year of his death (1978)......the Op 108 Vocalise.

Duly posted here exclusively for PP members.

Malcolm

Khachaturyan - Op 108 Vocalise
Khachaturyan A - Op 108 Vocalise (1978).pdf
A very rare treasure indeed! Thanks for posting this Malcolm; didn't know of even the existence of this piece.
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Seconded!!
Rare indeed. Looks more interesting like his sonata or sonatina - both works which I admittedly dislike.
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Alfor.......I like Khachaturyan's sonatina....but must admit that the sonata is less to my liking too !

Another new Russian composer to introduce you to...........Nikolay Nikolayevich Karetnikov. Born 1930, Moscow: died 1994 same. From 1942-48, studied composiiton with Shebalin and piano with Nikolayeva at the Moscow Central Music School. Then continued his studies with Shebalin at the Moscow Conservatoire, graduating in 1953. He was early influenced by Musorgsky, Shostakovich, Mahler and Wagner, then experimented with contemporary techniques especially serialism, as illustrated in his Symphony No. 4.

Malcolm

Op 2 Five Pieces (1944-47)
Karetnikov N - Op 2 Five Pieces.pdf
Variations (c. 1948)
Karetnikov N - Variations.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roncesvalles

Post by Roncesvalles »

Many thanks for the extremely hard to find G. Rimsky-Korsakov pieces, Malcolm--I doubt I--or many of us--would have come across them without you

cheers,

Matt
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

mballan wrote:As promised...something a little special and extremely rare. Georgy Mikhailovich Rimsky-Korsakov. Born 1901 St Petersburg: died 1965 same.
Pastorale
Rimsky-Korsakov G - Pastorale.pdf
Members may be interested in a recording I made today of this piece, viewtopic.php?f=49&t=241&p=11528#p11528, which may well be the world premiere :)

Regards
Fred
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

fredbucket wrote:
mballan wrote:As promised...something a little special and extremely rare. Georgy Mikhailovich Rimsky-Korsakov. Born 1901 St Petersburg: died 1965 same.
Pastorale
Rimsky-Korsakov G - Pastorale.pdf
Members may be interested in a recording I made today of this piece, viewtopic.php?f=49&t=241&p=11528#p11528, which may well be the world premiere :)

Regards
Fred
Thank you FredB.....I would strongly suspect this is definitely a world premiere........exquisite performance of a very enchanting piece. Interesting you mentioned the harp.......as GRK also arranged this for harp [and I'm not sure which version was first..... harp or piano]?

Malcolm
isokani
Pianophiliac

Post by isokani »

I am afraid to note that I fear the piece has been performed in St Petersburg not so long ago in a concert organised by my friend. Sorry to dampen enthusiasm. Certainly a US premiere, though. Magnificent that these things are being heard!
fredbucket
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Harpsichord, Organ, Piano Accordian, Button Accordian, Anglo and Duet Concertinas, Oboe, Cor Anglais, 6 & 12 string guitars, 5-string banjo.

Post by fredbucket »

isokani wrote:Sorry to dampen enthusiasm. Certainly a US premiere, though. Magnificent that these things are being heard!
I'm in Australia ... and I did say this may be the world premiere recording :)

Regards
Fred
isokani
Pianophiliac

Post by isokani »

So you are completely right on both counts, of course ;o) Profuse apologies!!
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.

Post by lutoslawski »

Who might by chance have Balanchivadze's Sokhumi for piano. Seems to be one of his popular piano works.

Tony