Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
mballan
Site Owner
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by mballan »

As Part 2 primarily marked the 2nd half of my postings on various miscellaneous Russian and Soviet Composers this new Part 3 will continue the theme but in a much more random way. It will include works from my collection but also looking at some of the larger names in Russian music to see if we can create a "complete" posting of all their piano works. I hope to present a few surprises along the way.

And so to start with something I had planned to post earlier but waiting for permission from the relevant authorities.

Iraida Yusupova. Born 1962, Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. Turkmenistani composer of half Russian, half Tatar ethnicity who currently resides in Moscow. She graduated from the Moscow Conservatoire with a degree in composition in 1987. She has written and composed 3 operas, 2 symphonies, 6 cantatas, 3 instrumental concerts, and a great deal of chamber music, electro-acoustic music, and music for cinema and theater spanning a period from the late eighties to the present day. Her various styles include minimalism, serialism amongst various other 20th century compositional techniques. Her music has been performed extensively across Europe and in 2001, she was named amongst the top 10 most notable modern Russian composers.

I have posted two examples of her work [these are no longer available in print]:

Sonata without a first movement
Yusupova I - Sonata without a first movement.pdf
Canon-Elegy
Yusupova I - Canon-Elegy.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mballan
Site Owner

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by mballan »

Arthur Lourie (1892-1966), hopefully needs little introduction, as he has been covered reasonably well on this site. My special thanks to Duirton for allowing me to share this with you all.

His Menuet after Gluck from 1914.
Lourie - Menuet after Gluck (1914).pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ilu
Pianomaniac

Post by ilu »

Malcolm:
Welcome back!
Just a brief bhiography:

Arthur Vincent Lourie. Born 1892 St Petersburg: died 1966, Princeton, New Jersey. Lourie studied at the St Petersburg Conservatoire and was friends with the Russian symbolist, Aleksandr Blok and Osip Mandel’shtam. From 1918 he worked under Lunacharsky as music commissar in charge of the music division (MUZO) of the Department of Education. Partly due to his modernist interests he began to meet some opposition from both the unofficial Proletarian Culture organisation (PROLETKULT) and from the Union of Russian Artists (VSERABIS). He left Russia in 1921 and visited Berlin where he met Busoni and with who he shared many ideas on the future course of music. In 1924 he moved to Paris where he met and formed a friendship with Stravinsky. He later settled in USA in 1941, becoming an American citizen in 1947.

Let my contribute wtih his Op.1 (mns-tttos), as example.
Lourie-A-Op1-5 Preludes Fragiles.pdf
Quo melius Illac
alegitor
Pianophiliac

Post by alegitor »

NMS, tttos. Sorry if posted before in Part 1 or 2.
Baltin Sonatine.pdf
rob
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Singer (bass)

Post by rob »

lutoslawski wrote:Who has Deshevov's Op.6?

Tony
nms tttos
Deshevov op6 Scherzo.pdf
alfor
Pianodeity
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by alfor »

Sergei I. TANEYEV
Piano concerto (1876, unfinished; 2nd mvt. orchestrated by Shebalin)
full score
Taneyev PC.pdf.part1.rar
Taneyev PC.pdf.part2.rar
Best regards, Alfor S. Cans

Music is a higher revelation than wisdom and philosophy (Beethoven)

http://www.mediafire.com/alfor
Aggelos
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by Aggelos »

V.A. Poltoratsky
Poltoratsky_Prelude & Fugue Op16_No9.pdf
Last edited by Aggelos on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parag
Site Admin

Post by parag »

NMS

Parag
phikfy wrote:Could any one please post Revutsky's Waltz and Preludes Op.7? Thank you!

Koon
Revutsky - Waltz B major.pdf
Revutsky - Two Preludes Op. 7 No 1.pdf
Revutsky - Two Preludes Op. 7 No 2.pdf
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Something from the 20th century: Faradzh Kara ogly Karayev. Born 1943, Baku. Son of Kara Karayev. Graduated 1966 from the Azerbaijan Conservatoire, where he studied with his father and where he was to later teach (1966 to present). Was inspired by Baroque composers including Bach and Scarlatti, as well as Mozart and Berg. His compositions range in style from neo-classical, as with the Concerto for piano and chamber orchestra [to be posted shortly], to works featuring contemporary techniques and prepared instruments.

I have post the composer’s first piano sonata from 1965.
Karayev F - PIano Sonata No. 1 (1965).pdf
Malcolm
lutoslawski
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano,Violin. Composer.

Post by lutoslawski »

Thanks, but they dont seem to provide any biographical information.
I uploaded in my YT Channel his Symphony "To Coeval", which strongly reminds me Shostakovich's 11th symphony.
www.youtube.com/user/fyrexia

Tony