Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
Knutssen
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Russian & Soviet Composers - Part 3

Post by Knutssen »

musiclife217 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:16 pm Thank you - did anyone have any luck with the blog?
Check your PM.
alfredus
Participant
Instruments played, if any: piano, flute, organ

Post by alfredus »

alfredus wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:29 pm
mballan wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:27 am Chugunov's piano sonata no. 2 was published by Kompozitor in 1996. I have checked all my usual library sources and none are listing the work, nor could I find a copy on-line. And the Kompozitor website seems to be blocked (possibily because of the war). Even if I could find a copy then the chances of obtaining a copy are extremely diffiuclt because of the banking sanctions against Russia.

The only hope might be if an international library purchased a copy or one comes up on a 2nd hand site..........but suspect that will be very rare. Plus it would still be in copyright and hence most library establishments would not allow a copy.

Malcolm
I found this listing on WorldCat for what appears to be Chugunov's second sonata (though I could not find the other 3)... It's in a book with 2 other piano sonatas by Aleksandr Balashov and Aleksandr Mirgorodsky: https://www.worldcat.org/title/57478969

Several libraries in the US seem to have a copy of this. I might try to get this loaned to me somehow.
I now have Chugunov's second sonata! I'm unsure if this would be okay to share, however. I will share some information about it, though! It is a work in 2 movements, composed in 1996; above the title, there is text denoting that the work is "dedicated to the memory of Boris Tobis" (посвящается памяти бориса Тобиса). On a cursory glance, the work seems to carry less of an overt jazz influence than his first sonata.
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

A friend recently asked me about some works by Yury Shchurovsky (1927-1996) - and I came across these albums, which cover the vast majority of his piano pieces.

These are freely available across various Russian sites.

Malcolm

Shchurovsky Y - Variations (Musica Ukrainia 1981).pdf
Variations (Musica Ukrainia 1981)
1. Children's Variations in E Minor
2. Variations in G major
3. Variations on the theme of the Ukrainian folk song ‘Oh, there is viburnum in the forest’
4. Variations in E minor
5. Pastoral Variations in G minor
6. Variations in D major
7. Variations on the theme of the Belarusian folk song ‘Quail’

Shchurovsky Y - Piano Pieces for Children (Musica Ukrainia 1977).pdf
Piano Pieces for Children (Musica Ukrainia 1977)
1. Russian Drawl
2. Russian Dance
3. The Cuckoo
4. The Black Raven
5. A Dove Cooing
6. Song
7. Ukrainian Dance
8. Song II
9. Dance of the Little Frogs
10. Brawling Rooster
11. Canon in G minor
12. A Charmer
13. Sad Song
14. Gopak
15. A Word
16. Evening in the Steppes
17. Meditation
18. In the Dense Forest
19. The Grasshopper
20. Canon in E minor
21. Prelude
22. The Heel
23. Sparrows
24. March
25. Guitar Prelude
26. Etude in C minor
27. Autumn Song
28. Elegiac Prelude
29. Invention in A major
30. After watching Kuindzhi
31. Elegy
32. Fugue in C minor
33. Dance
34. Steppe Song
35. ‘Winter’ Pioneer Suite
a. Morning
b. Snowball is falling
c. The Forest
d. Pioneers, Ski !
36. Ukrainian Sonatina

Shchurovsky Y - ‘Kaleidoscope’ Pieces for Children (Musica Ukrainia 1982).pdf
‘Kaleidoscope’ Pieces for Children (Musica Ukrainia 1982)
1. Etude in C major
2. Resolute Petya
3. Kotik
4. Cheerful Song
5. Catch Up
6. Lullaby
7. Stubborn boy
8. Skipping
9. Song beyond the Village
10. Canon
11. Delicious candy
12. Expanse
13. Folk-style
14. Sparrows
15. Polyphonic Piece
16. On a Sunny Lawn
17. Little Woodpecker
18. Invention
19. Estonian Polka
20. Dance of the Little Frogs
21. Brawling Rooster
22. Waltz-Joke
23. Polish Dance
24. Etude in A minor ‘Organ-grinder’
25. Mosquitoes Fugue Two
26. Titmouses
27. Vesnyanka
28. Dance of Baba Yaga
29. Prelude
30. Fantastic Piece

Shchurovsky Y - Selected Pieces for Piano (Musica Ukrainia 1987).pdf
Selected Works for Piano (Musica Ukrainia 1987)
1. Dialogue
2. Bagpipes
3. The Clock
4. Turtle Tortilla
5. Dance of the Little Frogs
6. In Memory of Tchaikovsky
7. Evening Song
8. The Barrel Organ
9. Sad Song
10. Gopak
11. Evening in the Steppe
12. Sleeping Lake
13. Children's Iron Road
14. Lullaby
15. Procession of Robots
16. Guitar Prelude
17. Canon
18. Prelude
19. Toccata
20. Elegiac Prelude
21. After Watching Kuindzhi
22. Elegy
23. Musical Moment
24. Tale of an Old Kobzar Player
25. Chromatic Prelude and Fugue
26. Sonatina-Piccolo
27. Sonatina in D minor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alfredus
Participant

Post by alfredus »

I've been wondering for some time where this theme by composer Paul Dvoyrin comes from:

I have sufficient information about the composer himself, but I have no idea about the origins of the theme itself. It is not contained within any of the pieces heard on the CD "Марийская музыка", nor is it contained within the set "3 Pieces".

Perhaps the original Prhythm edition of the Kapustin's paraphrase has more information (in the form of a foreword), but I'm unsure... (It's also a very expensive edition). I'd also try looking at the liner notes of either Kapustin's own recording of this or Masahiro Kawakami's, but I do not have access to those either. If anyone has more information, I'd love to hear it.

(Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this; I wasn't sure if this fit in with "The Unknown Composer" or any other thread)
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Hi Alfredus

Your best bet is to search in Russian - Поль Двойрин - and see if your pc will then translate into English and search that way. I did have the CD recording but sold it recently, so alas can not check for you. I did know Kapustin but must admit it never came up in conversation - Nikolai did share all his original manuscripts with me and it was I who directed him to Schotts for their publication. I'll ask a friend of mine who is a Kapustin fan if he may know.

Malcolm
alfredus
Participant

Post by alfredus »

mballan wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:05 am Hi Alfredus

Your best bet is to search in Russian - Поль Двойрин - and see if your pc will then translate into English and search that way. I did have the CD recording but sold it recently, so alas can not check for you. I did know Kapustin but must admit it never came up in conversation - Nikolai did share all his original manuscripts with me and it was I who directed him to Schotts for their publication. I'll ask a friend of mine who is a Kapustin fan if he may know.

Malcolm
I have already tried this, unfortunately (there's no information on Dvoyrin in English, so searching in Russian is essentially required); this is how I found the CD with his music as well as some scores (on ale07). Also, very interesting that you personally knew Kapustin! I envy that...
Isabella Li
Participant

Post by Isabella Li »

Hi everyone,
Do you have the sheet music for Berkovich 2 piano Sonatas? There is no recording or score available anywhere. I’m very curious about them and would love to learn more about them. I’d appreciate you sharing the score if possible.
Thanks so much!
Isabella
mballan
Site Owner

Post by mballan »

Isabella Li wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:20 pm Hi everyone,
Do you have the sheet music for Berkovich 2 piano Sonatas? There is no recording or score available anywhere. I’m very curious about them and would love to learn more about them. I’d appreciate you sharing the score if possible.
Thanks so much!
Isabella
Hello Isabella

These are quite early works for Berkovich (1922 and 1941), and I believe they were never published. I have searched the Ukrainian National Library, as well as my usual Russian library sources, and there appears to be no record for either of the two sonatas. They therefore likely remain in manuscript and may be held by the Ukrainian National Archive or by the Berkovich family. Of course with the war in Ukraine, trying to locate scores is nigh impossible. I will continue to investigate.

Malcolm
plehanov39
Participant
Instruments played, if any: Piano, guitar

Post by plehanov39 »

This is part of a worklist document signed personally by Berkovich in 1955.
It is not 3 sonatas - it is three sonatinas (on 20 pages)
And there are no references or evidence in publications that Berkovich wrote sonatas, meaning large-format piano works

https://ale07.ru/music/notes/song/forte ... tm#song_3s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bingo
Site Admin
Instruments played, if any: piano

Post by bingo »

plehanov39 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:36 am This is part of a worklist document signed personally by Berkovich in 1955.
It is not 3 sonatas - it is three sonatinas (on 20 pages)
And there are no references or evidence in publications that Berkovich wrote sonatas, meaning large-format piano works

https://ale07.ru/music/notes/song/forte ... tm#song_3s
Berkovich wrote more three sonatinas. There is a single set of 3 from 1953 but there are more - some appearing as late as 1970.

The early sonatas, from pre-WWII were - as MB suggests - likely unpublished by intent or circumstance, but we have plenty of unpublished manuscripts percolating through this forum.