Alec Rowley

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
HullandHellandHalifax
Site Admin
Posts: 788
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:19 pm
Instruments played, if any: piano organ harmonium
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Zeist, The Netherlands

Re: Alec Rowley

Post by HullandHellandHalifax » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:00 am

thalbergmad wrote:
jre58591 wrote:So, is the Concerto for Piano, Strings, and Percussion not allowed to be posted? I would love to see that one, if possible.

I can offer his Miniature Concerto if that one is allowed.
I say old chap, I found this in the CPS archives when I was searching for that Merikanto thing.

Since you are a damned decent fellow, I have whizzed it through the old scanner and produced a rather satisfactory pdf.

Horrid work redeemed slightly by a haunting andante I thought.

Luv

Thal
Thanks Thal for the Concerto and many thanks to Fatty for the excellent scanning job (Can't think who he is, really can't )
regards
Brian

jre58591
Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:04 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Alec Rowley

Post by jre58591 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:56 pm

thalbergmad wrote:
jre58591 wrote:So, is the Concerto for Piano, Strings, and Percussion not allowed to be posted? I would love to see that one, if possible.

I can offer his Miniature Concerto if that one is allowed.
I say old chap, I found this in the CPS archives when I was searching for that Merikanto thing.

Since you are a damned decent fellow, I have whizzed it through the old scanner and produced a rather satisfactory pdf.

Horrid work redeemed slightly by a haunting andante I thought.

Luv

Thal
Thanks for the scan, Thal. I'm sorry you feel like that about the work. I think it is a real gem that would make for a nice last minute piece for a short concert.

User avatar
mballan
Site Owner
Posts: 1913
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:35 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Cornwall, England

Re: Alec Rowley

Post by mballan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:45 pm

And on my return from holiday - the first of many new posting this evening [my gracious Sir P has been very busy in my absence, god bless him].

Rowley - Two Twilight Pieces
Rowley A - Two Twilight Pieces.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
mballan
Site Owner
Posts: 1913
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:35 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Cornwall, England

Re: Alec Rowley

Post by mballan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:35 am

Two smaller pieces by Rowley:

To Summer
Rowley A - To Summer.pdf
Moonlight Jig
Rowley A - Moonlight Jig.pdf
Malcolm & Sir P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Timtin
Pianomasochist
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: Yes
Contact:

Re: Alec Rowley

Post by Timtin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:48 pm

It's hard to find much detailed information about Alec Rowley, but this is quite good:-
http://www.musicweb-international.com/a ... owley.html
It's even harder to find a full list of his works.

Timtin
Pianomasochist
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Instruments played, if any: Pianoforte
Music Scores: Yes
Contact:

Re: Alec Rowley

Post by Timtin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:37 pm

First Year at the Piano is, not unreasonbly, divided into three sections or terms.
This is the third term, but does anyone have the previous two, I wonder?
Rowley First Year at the Piano (Third Term).pdf
Two (interesting?) facts about Alec Rowley:-
1. 'Yellow race' is an anagram.
2. According to one website, there are 12 people alive today in the UK with that name.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zeniyama

Re: Alec Rowley

Post by zeniyama » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Timtin wrote:First Year at the Piano is, not unreasonbly, divided into three sections or terms.
This is the third term, but does anyone have the previous two, I wonder?

Two (interesting?) facts about Alec Rowley:-
1. 'Yellow race' is an anagram.
2. According to one website, there are 12 people alive today in the UK with that name.
I like how on the second page where it says "The following scheme has been devised to make the beginner's First Year as interesting as possible..." the word "been" looks like "beer".

This is an interesting-looking set of beginner's pieces.

User avatar
mballan
Site Owner
Posts: 1913
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:35 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes
Location: Cornwall, England

Re: Alec Rowley

Post by mballan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks Timtin for the information on Rowley.......very interesting. And agree, he is a rather elusive person although you see plenty of examples of his music and editing in 2nd hand music shops in the UK [what few are left].

In light of that article, of which these two works were duly mentioned - and with due thanks to Maestro P:

Piano Sonata No. 2
Rowley A - Piano Sonata No. 2 in D.pdf
Suite for Piano
Rowley A - Suite for Piano.pdf
Malcolm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

liveforpiano
Pianophiliac
Posts: 351
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:04 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Alec Rowley

Post by liveforpiano » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:56 pm

Timtin wrote:First Year at the Piano is, not unreasonbly, divided into three sections or terms.
This is the third term, but does anyone have the previous two, I wonder?

Two (interesting?) facts about Alec Rowley:-
1. 'Yellow race' is an anagram.
2. According to one website, there are 12 people alive today in the UK with that name.
I don't think I would like to be called Yellow Race.

Peter (Liveforpiano)

fleubis
Pianomasochist
Posts: 1939
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:42 pm
Instruments played, if any: Piano
Music Scores: Yes

Re: Alec Rowley

Post by fleubis » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:26 pm

mballan wrote:Thanks Timtin for the information on Rowley.......very interesting. And agree, he is a rather elusive person although you see plenty of examples of his music and editing in 2nd hand music shops in the UK [what few are left].

In light of that article, of which these two works were duly mentioned - and with due thanks to Maestro P:

Piano Sonata No. 2
Rowley A - Piano Sonata No. 2 in D.pdf
Suite for Piano
Rowley A - Suite for Piano.pdf
Malcolm
Malc, thanks for these very nice and substantial Rowley pieces. They've been warming my piano desk this cold October day.

Post Reply